Why become a member? ×

Your Musical Development since joining Basschat?

xilddx

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1357894994' post='1930056']
Symphony X and Dream Theater lines are my target.
[/quote]

Crikey! Good luck with that! :blink: :D

I'm not sure my actual playing ability has changed much in the three years or so that I have been a member on here. But I now feel much more confident in playing [i]less[/i], ironically!

There are a lot of people on here whose opinions I value and I have learned a lot about gear, technique and note choices. THat learning has never stopped and I can honestly say that i learn something new every day!

I actually stumbled on this place accidentally as I contacted Shep when he was selling a MarkBass 610 cab on eBay and he recommended having a look here. Thanks mate! I think... ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357899380' post='1930133']
Crikey! Good luck with that! :blink: :D
[/quote]

Cheers, I've been meaning to do it for a while but I sit down and get frustrated then stop trying so this year I've set this up. No matter where I am at the end of this year I'm posting recordings of my attempts (probably to my humiliation).

See here : http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196357-new-years-resolution-bass-style/

I don't think my playing has improved much because of BC as such, though I'd like to think that there's some improvement simply from playing regularly. But I definitely feel more confident because of the huge amount I've learned from everyone here, especially in terms of technical sound and gear issues.

It's also invaluable to be able to discuss music/band stuff outside of immediate bandmates and realise the commonality of many issues - and In my particular case it's been encouraging to learn that there are great drummers out there, so my search continues ;)

I can't see me ever persevering with learning to read music, but I have been working on improving my theory thanks to some pointers to great online tutorials.

There are, it has to be said, some downsides to BC. The wonderful capability to connect with fellow bassists inevitably means more exposure to some awesomely talented players and musicians and reminds me that I'm not even in the same league. Still, it gives me something to strive for!

[b]Have you sunk or swum?[/b]

Swum.

[b]Has your playing and musicality improved?[/b]

Yes, if only a little. I only joined Basschat late last year, but the forum has led me to replace most of my kit and to achieve a different bass sound. This in turn has re-kindled my urge to play and improve on bass, which I had mostly shelved for the last 4 years in favour of guitar.

[b]Has your band done well?[/b]

My own band goes out in 2 formats, one country music, the other mainstream pop, and I am the lead singer and guitarist. We've been gigging for a year now, and the hardest part is securing gigs, especially for a reasonable fee. I spend whole evenings on the blower chasing entertainment secretaries, or sending out demo CDs. But yes, we are doing better than some I know.

[b]Have you joined bands you wouldn't have before?[/b]

No, I've always been open to play with all sorts of outfits. I've even played bass in trios accompanying choirs.

[b]Have you started teaching?[/b]

No, but I've done it in the past.

[b]How's your confidence?[/b]

Buoyant thanks.

[b]Have you been inspired to push yourself?[/b]

Yes - see above.

[b]Have you taken Bilbo's advice and learned to read music notation?[/b]

I already read music, and can just about sight-read well enough to play stuff live that I've never seen or heard before. It's also a massively useful learning tool - I transcribe most new material that I learn, so there are 2 routes to the brain, i.e. the ears and the eyes.

[b]What has being an active member of Basschat helped you achieve?[/b]

Apart from flogging my old kit without coughing up X% to evilBay, I've ended up with a rig that inspires me to play.

Edited by JapanAxe

I am lumping BC in with Talkbass, which I was on for a few years before someone there suggested I would like it here more 3 years ago. They were right. :)

Since using this, my wife and friends are much happier that I no longer need to geek out and tell them all about bass-related stuff that they don't care about, and don't understand either. This is good. :D

I, ironically, learned to appreciate my crappy old P-bass copy and stop lusting after shiny new instruments. :) mostly by discovering that flatwound strings exist.

I went fretless, which I would never have done without reading how easy it is from you guys. Then, to top it all I went to an EUB, which again I would never have done before, looked too hard.

Jacked in all the cover bands and went for a full on original band, which at 35 I never thought I'd be doing again, but hey, look at BRX, a shining example of what we should be doing. (Not a dig at guys in cover bands, just pointing out that there is still time to do originals after 30, if that's what you wanted to do in the first place).

Also don't rant about politics etc. so much in the pub, as I can get it out of my system here in off-topic. Hoorah! I get better arguments here too.

I learned more about sound and how to manipulate it. I was already comfortable with my basses and gear when I arrived, but that's not stopped me aquiring more. I was also comfortable with my playing ability, and that has stopped me squiring more. Perhaps I should practise? But all the bands I play in now are on drums. Playing bass on your own can be fun, but I don't do it that often.

Since its conception (and also its predecessor Bass World), Bass Chat has been a constant source of information, equipment and many new friends for me. It's been an invaluable tool and resource for me personally, and I'd recommend (and regularly do) any bass player, no matter what standard, to get involved.

Nige asked about [i][b]musical development [/b][/i]in the OP. In that context, I have improved loads but that's mainly because I was coming from such a low start-point when I joined a Basschat-predecessor. With the amount of time I've spent playing bass in the last six or seven years, it would be a miracle if I [i]hadn't[/i] improved. :rolleyes:

But Basschat has massively enhanced my understanding of so many aspects of bass-playing, it has saved me from going down blind alleys, confirmed things I suspected, persuaded me to try things I would never have dreamed of trying (especially fretless, and then DB), and all of those things must surely count towards my musical development too.

Above all, though, and that's WAY above all, it's been about the people.

:)

I can say that my playing has improved no end and so has my confidence and knowledge , I have also made new friends here and got back in contact with old ones , and i have been presently surprised by people's generosity and how friendly it all is in general !
Mind you my bank account has took a big bashing as I discovered gas ;)

My actual playing would probably improve if I sat down and practice all the really useful stuff I've read on here or via the links posted on here. :)

Gear, I know loads more from this forum.

I'm probably more confident, but there are other reasons for that as well. I've stopped gauging myself against others, I can play what I play and the only way to play what I can't is to practice (which with limited time can be difficult).

Mostly for me I think it's been more my awareness of so much more music. I've now got a reputation amongst friends as buying some really obscure music. And my appreciation of different genres is broader now, which has had a big influence on my playing and what I want to play. That's the biggie for me. It's not that I want to be this player or that player, but I listen to things now and I think, how do you play that? and how could I use that?

Oh sh*t there's loads of stuff.

Wait...no...I was brilliant before basschat :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention the people. Although I've never met some of them in person, I regard them as some of my best mates.

Edited by Marvin

I'm not sure my actual bass playing has improved since I joined 14 months ago, but that's entirely my fault - I'm still a bedroom bass player who is learning and playing favourite songs along the record, and that's presumably not going to change for quite a while. That was my plan all along - I never picked up a bass with a view of finding a band and playing in public, I only needed to find some solace in a new activity.
That aside, I arrived here from the Warwick forum, therefore I was already in full GAS and in possession of two (Warwick) bass guitars and one upright. I also had some general technical knowledge I gained in my previous life as "the guitarist's woman and occasional roadie/tech" :rolleyes: :D.
What Basschat has given me in abundance is renewed confidence in all things bass and all things musical in general, and enticed me to try new types of bass (5-string upright, acoustic bass guitar, fretless bass guitar, and hopefully, sooner or later, a real DB), and a fantastic first port of call for queries of any type, including off topic ones if I were so inclined.
All the above still pales into insignificance when compared to the way the actual people I have met through this forum have changed my life for the better. Some of them are now my best friends and immensely important to me. Since this last point is off-topic on this thread, I'll save you my waxing lyrical about it! The only thing I will add is that meeting such great new friends has also given me opportunity to go and see many bands (their own or simply their favourites) I either didn't know about or was only a casual fan of before. That has to count as progress from the point of view of bass playing and music in general.

One massive benefit that I have had from Basschat is the realisation that being over 25 doesn't mean you have to be in a covers band.

For the last few years I've been in an originals act with, on the whole, other "mature" musicians. Great fun is had by all and I get an enormous sense of satisfaction from it when it all goes well.

I've also seen some great bands that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise, including (but not limited to) Burning Organ (SilverfoxNik), The Plan (WaynePunkDude), The Jetsonics (Low End Bee), The Alibi (Walman).

I always used to be content with my kit. Since joining I've bought two basses and two multi-effects pedals (sold one, still have other). However I have otherwise resisted the GAS.

My theory & reading was pretty good before I took up bass guitar (a couple of decades ago!), but I have concentrated on technique & tone since reading a few interesting threads on here.

I mostly visit for the chat - and it's now part of my daily lunchtime browsing session :) It's also very handy to know there are a bunch of experts around (plus a load of other people :D), and whatever questions I have someone has probably asked them before and the answers are there behind the Search button.

Since joining, my hunger and desire to learn and enjoy all things bass has returned with a vengance. I now understand modes, something that used to be just a word sounding similar to toad. I have explored beyond my comfort zone and even tried out in a jazz trio (albeit rather short lived) still it helped me try a totally new style. I've increased my slappability (good word that) from about 1 - 15%, but still not used it in a useful situation for fear of sounding like a slapper in a rock band ! still it's great fun. I have concentrated on technique, found lots of learning tools online, realised that a loop station is worth the money.

As far as gear goes i've bought one new and my most expensive bass to date, bought 3 pedals, sold an amp and 2 cabs, ordered another cab (S12T) and bass on the way, bought the brilliant Tascam GTR1.

Basically it's cost me a small fortune but what the hell, it's a small price to pay for a headful of extra knowledge on one of the best unsung and underated musical instruments out there. It's ok guys we'll knuckle down and do all the hard work and you can take all the glory, it's a pleasure :D

Thanks BC you keep me sane

Edited by jjay69

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357861797' post='1929862']
How has it been?

Have you sunk or swum? Has your playing and musicality improved? Has your band done well? Have you joined bands you wouldn't have before? Have you started teaching? How's your confidence? Have you been inspired to push yourself? Have you taken Bilbo's advice and learned to read music notation? What has being an active member of Basschat helped you achieve?

I can say without a doubt that I'm a much better player and musician, and much more confident since joining Basschat about four and a half years ago. When I joined I felt like a guitarist playing bass. I was in one band, albeit a great one playing with the guys from Transglobal Underground in London Zulu, but I found Kit Richardson on here, got the job, and three and a half years later the band is doing well and I'm really proud of what we've achieved. Also, we found 51m0n who ended up mixing Kit's last EP and it sounds truly wonderful! I still play with London Zulu, and now also have a pro gig on guitar with sitarist Sheema Mukherjee which is a tricky gig, and I'm convinced the confidence and knowledge I got since joining BC helped me tackle the prospect of playing with such a demanding musician and composer. I have tried and failed to learn to read music, through apathy and lack of real need, but I am teaching myself piano now so I may well end up learning treble and bass clefs, I have already started :)

I truly have benefitted from being a Basschat member in terms of technical knowledge of music and my equipment, gained much confidence, and found my main band. I am a much better musician and player because of the help, knowledge and sense of community on here.

What about you?
[/quote]

Wow! So many questions Nige ,)
Since joining Basschat ; I spend way too much time on here and should really practice more.
Was in 2 bands at one time , now I'm in none.
I think my playing has improved bizarrely enough , as I don't practice with other musicians. (This may change later in the year)

I have began ''recording''' on my iPad / GarageBand but need to (&will) record more.got rid of the gas, and am trying to decide how many basses I will offload in the future(gasp)
I am pondering over the idea of getting a moog , but don't want anything too complicated as I don't know if I have time to learn another instrument .
Having said that, I was thinking of getting a Wavedrum , but it may be too noisy for my flat,)
I have started playing my bass with effects through headphones , and am beginning to understand how to use them ( subtlety - not all the time).

Think that's all for now ,)

The best thing Basschat has done for me was to give me the motivation to find a teacher. I found an excellet teacher via this site ( Steve Lawson ) who inspired me to explore aspects of music that I wouldn't have thought myself capable of before.
Apart from that, I've learned a lot about gear in general and I always find something interesting to read about. I'd like to thank everyone who takes the time to share their knowledge on here.

[b]Have you sunk or swum?[/b]

Floated.

[b]Has your playing and musicality improved?[/b]

No, but neither has it declined.

[b]Has your band done well?[/b]

I quite rightly left the last one about 18 months ago.
I find now that I have neither the time, money, nor inclination to indulge in being a "band member".

[b]Have you joined bands you wouldn't have before?[/b]

No. I'm less likely to join a band than ever, though not due to BC.

[b]Have you started teaching?[/b]

Seriously? I'm a bad enough student, let alone a teacher.

[b]How's your confidence?[/b]

Confidence in what? Myself? Zero. In others? Less. But I generally don't let that interfere with what I'm doing.

[b]Have you been inspired to push yourself?[/b]

No.

[b]Have you taken Bilbo's advice and learned to read music notation?[/b]

No. Nor do intend to, as it would serve no purpose for me.

[b]What has being an active member of Basschat helped you achieve?[/b]

I have acquired a rather fine bass from here. I have sold 3 others, though not on here, despite advertising them.

I just looked on my profile and I have been a member here for 4 years. Where did that go?

I joined when I had just graduated from bedroom to ballroom, joining my first ever band around the same time, and so my learning curve has been exponential. In terms of the music I have a far greater understanding and level of interest in what I am trying to do because of Basschat. It has also given me the interest, confidence and safety net to fiddle with basses - do my on setups, change the electrics etc etc.

It might be a sad reflection of the state of my existence but additionally Basschat has now become the lens through which I view the world. If I want to find anything out I come onto here first. If it is in the news and worth reading, it is on here. If it is for sale, it is on here. If I (rarely) am bursting to say something, I do it here.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1357914806' post='1930529']
It might be a sad reflection of the state of my existence but additionally Basschat has now become the lens through which I view the world. If I want to find anything out I come onto here first. If it is in the news and worth reading, it is on here. If it is for sale, it is on here. If I (rarely) am bursting to say something, I do it here.
[/quote]

I don't see that as saying anything sad about your existence - rather as giving praise to Basschat as a community.

It's all about the knowledge. Know more about my amp, approaching playing and thanks to BassTractor, jazz.

Not been here long but i can bring more to my band and have expanded my musical habits from drop tuned metal, country and folk to now proudly include some jazz. Work to do, though...

Since joining Basschat, I found a teacher from here that has advanced my playing so quickly compared to my usual rate that I'm now confident enough to start playing with other people in quite a small amount of time.

I also realise that the instrument doesn't make the player, but since buying a rather nice bass guitar (for a smaller amount than I had expected) I have been confident about playing on it as I know that any shortfalls are my own. I couldn't be more happier with the progress I've made since joining and the main reasons for my leap in ability have been down to Basschat. :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357916279' post='1930558']
I don't see that as saying anything sad about your existence - rather as giving praise to Basschat as a community.
[/quote]

Yes, community is about the right word, isn't it. It is heartwarming to read some of the immense support given to folks on here at times of trouble. Let alone the wealth of experience and knowledge that is freely shared. I am a member of discussion forums connected with other aspects of my life and also ran one for best part of 9 years. This is one of the best out there IMO. Yes, there are trolls very ocasionally and a few grump bags but generally it is a great place to visit and spend some time.

Since joining BC about a year ago I have taken up Double Bass (on a bass bought through this forum), taken lessons, played with others a lot (ukele group and morris team amongst others). Haven't joined a band yet because of time constraints with my work but (big drum rollllllll) have agreed with my teacher to aim to get my Grade 4 Double Bass by the end of the year which means my theory and sight reading are going to have to improve pretty damn quick :) .

Steve

I've bought and sold gear far quicker and easier than anywhere else online. My awareness and understanding of all fields of equipment has improved exponentially and I've picked up some handy hints and tips along the way. As far as my playing goes: my musical awareness and feel has improved vastly, though not as a result of Basschat. HOWEVER - with the acquisition of a new laptop I aim to make full use of all the learning resources on here, especially the Major's Bootcamp and the Groove Library. Hell, I might even learn a little about jazz! Here's to Basschat and 2013 :drinks: