Why become a member? ×

Is no band better than just any old band?

4-string-thing

Ok, I've got an audition on thursday, and I'm wondering whether to bother or not. To be honest, I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of gigging again, it's been a couple of years since I've been in a gigging band and I don't think I miss it much. The songs they want me to do don't exactly inspire me much either:

Johnny B Goode
Brown Eyed Girl
Stuck In The Middle With You
Take It Easy
Wishing Well
Sweet Home Alabama

Ok, all easy enough to play, but not really my cup of meat!

So, is any old band better than no band? Should I wait around for another 2 years for the right band, or should I bite the bullet and get my head down and play 90 minutes of music that leaves me cold every saturday night?

BTW, if you play in a rock covers band, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just that I am a bit of a folkie at heart....

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1357663630' post='1926284']
If you don't enjoy it (or don't need the extra dough it brings in) then don't do it.
:)
I can enjoy playing any old crap though, which helps.

However, when looking for a band you do want to play in, it is easier to meet other musos while you are in a band, rather than sat at home.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1357662781' post='1926269']

Johnny B Goode
Brown Eyed Girl
Stuck In The Middle With You
Take It Easy
Wishing Well
Sweet Home Alabama

[/quote]

Not really sure who, other than the folks in a retirement home, would want to listen to those songs.

I would pass on that.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1357663927' post='1926296']
Not really sure who, other than the folks in a retirement home, would want to listen to those songs.

I would pass on that.
[/quote]

Most of those songs go down really well at parties, social clubs (ok, you were close) and pubs. No, not my fav's either but im just reporting what my own eyes see.

I too can take or leave a lot of our set but i wouldn't dream of becoming a bedroom player because of a few songs that i dont enjoy as much as the majority of our set. Gigging has too many plus points that outweigh the minus for me, although i have a tolerance level a bit higher than most by the look of it.

I'd also say to the OP that with 9 basses sitting around i'd be itching to get out and use them as they were intended, but maybe he is just a collector.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1357663927' post='1926296']

I would pass on that.
[/quote]

Retirement home gigs are an expanding market!

I've been in similar situations over the last year since my last band folded. I had interest from an originals band but they didn't seem to be gigging much and some of the material was rather samey. Then more recently I had a session with another band who seemed to be going down the route the OP's audition is for and though some of the material was new to me it was all pretty safe and didn't inspire me either.
However I'm now coming round to the feeling I'll have to be less picky otherwise I could get stuck not gigging at all this year. If you don't miss gigging at all then no, I wouldn't go for it. I'd like to get back to gigging again and it seems to me it is easier finding bands when you are in one than when you are not so I may have to pick a band who don't necessarily fit my personal choice of music but will be a means to an end in getting back on stage and maybe finding another gig that I'm more enthusiastic about.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1357663630' post='1926284']
If you don't enjoy it (or don't need the extra dough it brings in) then don't do it.
:)
I can enjoy playing any old crap though, which helps.

However, when looking for a band you do want to play in, it is easier to meet other musos while you are in a band, rather than sat at home.
[/quote]

Wise advice Mr Vader.

In my experience, the very best way to keep (and expand) your skills is to play regularly with other musicians.

If you did decide to go for it I would advise being honest and up-front with the rest of the band about your interest and commitment. That's what we'd all want wouldn't we? If they like the cut of your jib you might end up doing material with them that is more to your liking, by influencing their direction.

Edited by Len_derby

In your post you have answered your own question, i.e.: ...cant be bothered with the hassle of gigging again.....
the songs they want me to do don't exactly inspire me...... 90 minutes of music that leaves me cold every saturday night.

I see it as a no brainer not to join that particular band.

Find a band that plays the music you like. This might inspire you to want to gig. If you prefer not to gig then find a few similar minded musicians who like the same type of music, and just have a jam now and then.

If you need the money, then that is a different situation.

I left a covers band a couple of years back - mostly politics, but partially the really bad music!

Made a decision then - I'll play in bands I enjoy, not just to be in 'another' band. I'd stuck in the old one for a long while, just to stay active.

I ended up having what turned out to be about 3/4 months off....and much fun it was too! A band did turn up, and I joined on my new-found terms - telling myself that it stopped being fun, it's better to be happy and band-less, than band-ed and miserable!

As it turned out, that one fell apart by Christmas 2011, but I'd already found another, and then another covers band gig came up in 2012. If they fell apart tomorrow (one is always on the verge of.....!) I'd window shop for another - but one to be happy in!

Given what you have said, unless you really need the dosh, I would tend to avoid.

There is bound to be another position available in the not too distant and maybe it will be a set more to your liking.

I've been trying to get Stuck in the Middle, Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl relegated to standby material but the thing is punters do request them, particularly at the social club type gigs.

It's strange really, I play with a band of relative youngsters, yet they want to do all the old stuff and I keep suggesting the more modern stuff :unsure:

Hmmm... I didn't mention thay they are part of a 9 piece Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band, who don't get many gigs, so I am wondering how committed they are? I get the impression this band is a side project and won't be their main focus.

The songs listed were just for the audition, so maybe they picked easy songs to help me out? It does leave me wondering just what the rest of the set list would be like though! I'm sure Mustang Sally and Too Hot To Handle will be in there somewhere....

As for needing the money, in my experience, pub gigs only just about cover costs and almost always leave me wondering why I did it! Mind you, the last band did take the mick a bit, using my PA and lights, expecting me to arrive 2 hours before them, setting it all up, packing it all away etc etc... Then expecting the money to be split equally between the six of us. Maybe thats why I have become a bit disillusioned?

Plying with others is good unless you dont get on. It could be fun and you may actually enjoy it. I see where you're coming from about the set and personally jamming on improvised tunes is my only passion when it comes to playing. I've not learned covers since my early youth and dont see any point in it as a technique/ability building exercise.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357671537' post='1926473']
I've not learned covers since my early youth and dont see any point in it as a technique/ability building exercise.[/quote]

May I humbly disagree? I'm in an originals band now, but my previous covers bands certainly stood me in good stead for it. :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1357670742' post='1926448']
Hmmm... I didn't mention thay they are part of a 9 piece Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band, who don't get many gigs, so I am wondering how committed they are? I get the impression this band is a side project and won't be their main focus.

The songs listed were just for the audition, so maybe they picked easy songs to help me out? It does leave me wondering just what the rest of the set list would be like though! I'm sure Mustang Sally and Too Hot To Handle will be in there somewhere....

As for needing the money, in my experience, pub gigs only just about cover costs and almost always leave me wondering why I did it! Mind you, the last band did take the mick a bit, using my PA and lights, expecting me to arrive 2 hours before them, setting it all up, packing it all away etc etc... Then expecting the money to be split equally between the six of us. Maybe thats why I have become a bit disillusioned?
[/quote]

Nine piece band ? sounds like a great networking opportunity there, some of the nine are bound to be playing with other setups (especially as that band isn't busy). It may lead to other things ?