Why become a member? ×

What defines a "classic" bass guitar?

Fionn

Ok, so there are the obvious classic bass guitars ... Those basses which have endured and continuously prevailed through the ages, and endless fashions of music. Those basses are ingrained in our consciousness, so familiar are we with the sound and sight of them. Instruments which are the successful formula of aesthetic appeal, functionality, sound capability, quality of manufacture, and clever corporate voodoo.

But is there anyhing else? At what point can a bass rightfully be called a "classic"? It may not be a Jazz, a Ray, a Rick, but a Steinberger XL2, a Warwick Streamer, an Aria SB1000 ...

Is your bass a classic?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1357241314' post='1919764']
Ok, so there are the obvious classic bass guitars ... Those basses which have endured and continuously prevailed through the ages, and endless fashions of music. Those basses are ingrained in our consciousness, so familiar are we with the sound and sight of them. Instruments which are the successful formula of aesthetic appeal, functionality, sound capability, quality of manufacture, and clever corporate voodoo.

But is there anyhing else? At what point can a bass rightfully be called a "classic"? It may not be a Jazz, a Ray, a Rick, but a Steinberger XL2, a Warwick Streamer, an Aria SB1000 ...

Is your bass a classic?
[/quote]

A bass is a classic when people start saying things like "Sounds a bit like a *enter classic bass here*".

They also have to be fairly common, otherwise, they aren't that classic. I'm sure everyone could point to a bass that sounds/looks fantastic, and they wished they owned, but because they price is many many thousands of hard earned pounds, and there are only 100 being made, it would be difficult for it to become a classic. Classics tend to be the ones that change everything. The P has it's own unique tone, and changed bass indefinitely. It made bass easy, transportable, loud and relatively cheap. That's isn't the formula for a classic, but again, you can point to a stingray and say it's a classic, because of it's tone.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357241799' post='1919780']
A bass is a classic when people start saying things like "Sounds a bit like a *enter classic bass here*".

They also have to be fairly common, otherwise, they aren't that classic. I'm sure everyone could point to a bass that sounds/looks fantastic, and they wished they owned, but because they price is many many thousands of hard earned pounds, and there are only 100 being made, it would be difficult for it to become a classic. Classics tend to be the ones that change everything. The P has it's own unique tone, and changed bass indefinitely. It made bass easy, transportable, loud and relatively cheap. That's isn't the formula for a classic, but again, you can point to a stingray and say it's a classic, because of it's tone.
[/quote]

Basically, this!

There will now likely ensue 3+ pages of folks bantering about minor details of the above statement which already gets close enough for me to agree with.

Luke's list of classics....

Fender Jazz
Fender Precision
Rickenbacker 4001
Stingray (2eq)
Stingray 5
G&L L1000
Warwick Streamer Stage 1/Spector NS (controversially I would say warwick is the more "classic" version of Ned Steinberger's design, at least this side of the pond)
Warwick Thumb NT 5
Gibson EB
Gibson Thunderbird
Hofner Violin
Peavey T40

Beyond that there are the Wal/Steinberger/Jaydee 80's stuff, and some quite cool stuff from Gibson in the 70's but none of it would be classic I think.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1357241959' post='1919783']
Basically, this!

There will now likely ensue 3+ pages of folks bantering about minor details of the above statement which already gets close enough for me to agree with.
[/quote]

Yeah, glad i got in there before all the "hmms and haws" as my father would say. I think my grasp of the term classic is fairly accurate, and lukes list of classics confirms that really.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1357241314' post='1919764']

Is your bass a classic?
[/quote]

All the basses you list are classics to me . They are superb designs that have stood the test of time and are highly useful and usable instruments . Classics capture the spirit of the age in which they were conceived , but also have an enduring appeal which transcends that time and subsequent trends .

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357241975' post='1919785']
Luke's list of classics....

Fender Jazz
Fender Precision
Rickenbacker 4001
Stingray (2eq)
Stingray 5
G&L L1000
Warwick Streamer Stage 1/Spector NS (controversially I would say warwick is the more "classic" version of Ned Steinberger's design, at least this side of the pond)
Warwick Thumb NT 5
Gibson EB
Gibson Thunderbird
Hofner Violin
Peavey T40

Beyond that there are the Wal/Steinberger/Jaydee 80's stuff, and some quite cool stuff from Gibson in the 70's but none of it would be classic I think.
[/quote]

In my opinion...

I'm not convinced that everything on this list would be considered a "classic". I think that for something to be considered a "classic" it would have to be easily recognised by Joe Public, not only by Bassplayers - not sure that the Warwicks, MM Rays or the Peavey have done that [i]yet[/i].

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1357244580' post='1919857']
In my opinion...

I'm not convinced that everything on this list would be considered a "classic". I think that for something to be considered a "classic" it would have to be easily recognised by Joe Public, not only by Bassplayers - not sure that the Warwicks, MM Rays or the Peavey have done that [i]yet[/i].
[/quote] ahh but the James Jamerson defence says just cos Joe Public hasn't heard of him doesn't mean he isn't a classic....

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1357244580' post='1919857']
...I think that for something to be considered a 'classic' it would have to be easily recognised by Joe Public...[/quote]

Joe Public can only just recognise an electric guitar at ten paces - they haven't sussed the difference between guitar and bass yet, that's for sure.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1357245507' post='1919885']
Joe Public can only just recognise an electric guitar at ten paces - they haven't sussed the difference between guitar and bass yet, that's for sure.
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

He's right you know.

At gigs the conversation normally goes like this when I play my Status 6er.

Punter - Thats a big guitar.

Me - It's a bass guitar

Punter - But its got six strings, only guitars have six strings. Bass Guitars only have four

Me - No, Basses can have 4, 5 or 6 strings or more.

Punter - Oh, never seen one before. (normally scratching their head by now as well)

This is normally at a pub that has bands on all the time. And while 6ers may not be that common, you can bet your life plenty a bassist has been there with a 5er before.

You can have a 10K Fodera round your neck and a punter with think that only Fenders or Gibson's are any good, and the Fodera is crap.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357241799' post='1919780']

[/quote]

I think this is poor reasoning.

Ford GT40......classic, but not many made.

I understand what you mean, but just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's not a classic.

It's a funny one really.

Now, us bass players really do push the boundries with our guitars. We have active, coil taps, fan frets, very different scale lenghts. All this is deemed great and it surely is BUT does it make them classic. (me, I just love P basses but I have an XL2 which I consider classic because it pushed the boundaries and a violin bass, same again)

If you think about guitars for a minute,
all the biggest makers tend to keep it simple and most stuff really is, tele, strat, les paul, SG ish. Dean ML = Explorer. Aria PE = Les Paul.
Guitars don't really change from the 'classic' designs.

the only really active thing that goes on with guitars is the EMG thing.

waffling again.

So, I reckon it's a classic IF it's been copied by someone else on a grand scale OR if if I've got one (ho ho), OR if it's totally limited for example the status buzzard.

Just my rubbish opinion, for what it's worth.

I love guitars and basses and could stare at them all day.

Good thread BTW

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1357247713' post='1919941']
I think this is poor reasoning.

Ford GT40......classic, but not many made.

I understand what you mean, but just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's not a classic.
[/quote]

That's entirely different. The Ford GT40 is classic because of where it was born and the racing heritage of it. It looked as cool as a bag of ice, and went like the clappers. People looked at that car when it was a racing car and thought "Only if i had the opportunity to own that car", and then, THEY DID! and it made many appearances in TV, and the rich and famous owned them. They became a classic because of the hype they created, how they looked and sounded, not necessarily because of the drive of it.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1357247713' post='1919941']

I love guitars and basses and could stare at them all day.

Good thread BTW
[/quote]

Something we do agree on. :D

I looked up the meaning of "classic", then filtered to leave the relevant criteria:

1. Benchmark - has become a model or standard to judge against
2. Enduring - lasting significance; has stood the test of time
3. Simple - elegant design
4. Traditional - conforming to established standards

Hope this helps.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1357248706' post='1919960']
1. Benchmark - has become a model or standard to judge against
2. Enduring - lasting significance; has stood the test of time
3. Simple - elegant design
4. Traditional - conforming to established standards[/quote]

P-Bass, surely?

Classic is something either groundbreaking from the past or has gained a large following (or both). The Ford GT40 had a name behind it for all the Ford fans & was a groundbreaking car in it's day. The Fairlight CMI is a classic as it was the original DAW with remote keyboard.
Fenders have a large following as they've been on the go for yonks & people know what it's gonna sound like before they buy it, so that makes them classics.
The Ritter Cora is a far nicer looking bass than the Fender Jazz (IMO of course) & start at @ £4k & Jens refers to the sound as "that classic Jazz sound". So therefore the Cora, as nice as it is, is not a classic & probably never will be.
I wouldn't have a classic bass as I don't like the "classic" shape.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1357248889' post='1919962']
P-Bass, surely?
[/quote]

I never hide the fact I dislike P basses with a passion.

But in terms of the criteria that Cloudburst laid out above, a P is the bass that other modern basses were judged against, and many would argue still are. So a P would get my vote.

Still think they are horrid far*y things though :P

If you are looking at next generation "Classics" though, it would probably be an Alembic, as they were really the ones who set the standard in terms of actives.

Oh, and +1 for Status S2's

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1357247475' post='1919935']
You can have a 10K Fodera round your neck and a punter with think that only Fenders or Gibson's are any good, and the Fodera is crap.
[/quote]

What do you mean punters? 90% of bloody bass players would think that too. Not long after I got my Jaydee somebody said to me "couldn't you afford a Fender?" :angry:

I was once (a LONG time ago, late 70's) talking to a non-playing friend of mine about different basses as we were walking along the street. He asked me if all basses had four strings & I said most of them have four strings, but you could get basses with 8 & 12 strings, and mentioned Tom Peterson from Cheap Trick as an example of somebody who used a 12ver.
A bloke walking in front of us overheard me saying this & actually turned round & told me not to be so bloody stupid & that I obviously didn't know what the hell I was talking about!