Why become a member? ×

What defines a "classic" bass guitar?

Fionn

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357349660' post='1921602']
Afraid not. They are, around here at least, People who feel they need to be different, so actively seek out underground music genres and artists, weird clothes shops and places to get massive glasses. As soon as any of the things they like become even slightly cool, they stop liking them, claiming that it is "Too mainstream".

I think they have now ditched the term "Too mainstream" now too... for obvious reasons.
[/quote]bravo. These fiends like nothing and appreciate even less.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1357350369' post='1921606']
bravo. These fiends like nothing and appreciate even less.
[/quote]

I just don't understand why somebody wouldn't just like something because they like it? that's all i ever do. If it's something popular, that's alright. If it's something unpopular, that's alright too. I don't make room for other people in what i like. Either you like it, or you don't, but it won't change my mind if you do or don't like it, because i do.

Feckin wabs.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1357333277' post='1921365']
I'm glad I don't fit that description, but many do and it seems a little harsh on them... each to their own... who are we to judge?

Back to the topic - erm, surely a Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-on? I can't think of a more iconic bass... not their 'top' model, but perhaps one of their most distinctive?

Obviously I'm biased :)
[/quote] I think any "classic" warwick will be a neck through - made in germany, probably before 1992-94 and depending how good the new ones are after whatever point they went up market again.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357299265' post='1920497']
Yeah- I stuck alembic on there and then took them off. Mainly because apart from music only bass players listen too I couldn't think of one Alembic player. I guess John Entwhistle?
[/quote]

Yh I only came up with John, Stanley Clarke and Mark King for a bit, considering their like 30 grand plus you would think they must be soooo amazing every one would have one, still I do like them, different look, well made an they have been going years!! and their copied a fair bit, so why not, lol, yh deffo the thumb, again been with us for a while, an they had in the early days they had that sound like no other.

Edited by harleyheath

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357351281' post='1921618']
I just don't understand why somebody wouldn't just like something because they like it? that's all i ever do. If it's something popular, that's alright. If it's something unpopular, that's alright too. I don't make room for other people in what i like. Either you like it, or you don't, but it won't change my mind if you do or don't like it, because i do.
[/quote]

This!

CB

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357383501' post='1921834']
I think any "classic" warwick will be a neck through - made in germany, probably before 1992-94 and depending how good the new ones are after whatever point they went up market again.
[/quote]

I love the old old warwicks, the old hand made thru necks were amazing, love the sound of the old ones, with loads of wenge in the neck, I waited for ages till I see one I liked and had the money for, got ot shipped in from the states and it sounded so bland!! :( but the old ones a deffo classic :)

Easy - any instrument that's over 20 years old is a classic. Doesn't matter if it's any 'good', has a particularly high value, has been copied, is still in production etc.

If it's good enough for The Classic Car Club of America it's good enough for me :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1357483890' post='1923191']
Easy - any instrument that's over 20 years old is a classic. Doesn't matter if it's any 'good', has a particularly high value, has been copied, is still in production etc.

If it's good enough for The Classic Car Club of America it's good enough for me :)
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, Vintage would be a better term for an instrument that you wish to classify based on age alone. As an example, I think most would agree that one of those Ampeg scroll-headed instruments would be a Vintage bass, but not a Classic.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1357484482' post='1923215']
I think there are only four classic bass guitars:

Fender Precision
Fender Jazz
Rickenbacker 4001/4003
Musicman Stingray
[/quote]

I think you're pretty close to the mark. The only one I'd think to add would be the Steinberger L2/XL2. Where it could be argued that most other basses have their ancestry in the instruments you've picked, the Steinberger is a radically different design which has stood the test of time and is still revered by many. But perhaps this is just because I'm in the process of buying one. :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1357487019' post='1923278']

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, Vintage would be a better term for an instrument that you wish to classify based on age alone. As an example, I think most would agree that one of those Ampeg scroll-headed instruments would be a Vintage bass, but not a Classic.

CB
[/quote]

Vintage is anything older than 30 years, antique is 40 :)

I'd definitely say the Ampeg scroll is a classic piece of design. Stuff in a similar bracket are Hofner violins and quite a few Danelectos - I wouldn't particularly want to own or play any of these but they certainly fulfil the classic design brief to me.

On any bass forum there are always a very vocal minority who knock Fender. Some aspects of what they say I can see sense in but Fender (for me at least) couldn't have explained why they can rightfully claim he crown any better than with this ad from the late 70s

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/eugenevoorneman/4041666679/"]http://www.flickr.co...man/4041666679/[/url]

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1357491073' post='1923413']
On any bass forum there are always a very vocal minority who knock Fender. Some aspects of what they say I can see sense in but Fender (for me at least) couldn't have explained why they can rightfully claim he crown any better than with this ad from the late 70s

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/eugenevoorneman/4041666679/"]http://www.flickr.co...man/4041666679/[/url]
[/quote]

Ha ha - love the picture. My caption would, however, be more along the lines of: "The Fender Precision Bass - played by five sex pests".

CB

Edited by cloudburst