Why become a member? ×

Bloody left my band :(

Truckstop

Just need to vent a little:

So basically, a while ago a started a thread a while ago asking BCers some advice. I wanted to know whether to leave my band and join a professional function band (like, proper professional enough to make a living off!) or stay with my current band and try to make it myself.

So after much soul searching, I decided to stick it out with my current band. I had a chat with them and told them my predicament and they all agreed that if I were to stay with them, they'd all kick it up a notch and start gearing towards getting into the functions and wedding market. I said that we'd need to make many changes: we'd need to invest in a good PA and backline, we'd need to start wearing uniform and we'd need to make our setlist more friendly. We all agreed and then the next mornin I rang the MD of the pro band and said thanks but no thanks.

So fast foward a few weeks and no-one else in the band has practised any of the songs I wanted us to do, no-ones adhered to our dresscode (White shirt, black tie) and essentially there's been no improvement at all. Very disappointed.

Anyway, I was prepared to keep gigging with them because we've got some good paying gigs coming up over Xmas and I can stick around until I find another project to get involved in. So, come around tonight:

Basically, we've known for 3 weeks that we needed to come up with another set for this show because they close a lot later than usual pubs. I sent an email around saying "right, heres a list of 12 well easy songs we can all practice at home for this gig. They're so easy and well known we won't even need to rehearse them". I hear nothing back and for an experiment I decide to not follow up that email with another one. I call the guitarist today and say "what's going on, how are we going to conjure up another set of music?". Turns out that no-one has bothered to rehearse any of the songs over the last two weeks thinking that we could just extend some solo sections and have a "bit of a jam".

Needless to say I was furious at their unprofessionalism and just said that I'd had enough. I said I didn't want to play this evening because it'd be embarrassing packing up an hour before we're supposed to finish and it would have been embarrassing trying to stretch out all of our songs for another couple of minutes. I then said that i wanted to leave the band permanently because I didn't think they would ever change enough to challenge the wedding and functions market!

Feel a bit sad, but at the same time I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

Tomorrow I'm gonna put some ads out and put together a new band that I'll manage myself! All I want is a bunch of people that'll wear the right clothes, learn the right songs and have decent gear.

Bah

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1351974388' post='1857543']

Tomorrow I'm gonna put some ads out and put together a new band that I'll manage myself! All I want is a bunch of people that'll wear the right clothes, learn the right songs and have decent gear.

[/quote]

That's what we all want but sadly personalities get in the way!

Hey Alex
Its a good thing - sometimes you need to get kicked out of your comfort zone to move forward.
Dont panic. Your drive and focus will carry you. Chances are you'll look back in 6 months time and wish you'd done it sooner.
Ps Still got the Ashdown speaker?
Good luck
Jon

Edited by Mudpup

If was the thread I'm thinking of I seem to remember it was heavily in favour of snatching the hand off the offer to work on a cruise ship?
Your call obviously, but I'd be interested to know if it was simply - and possibly with hindsight (wonderful) - undeserved loyalty to the band you were in?

The problem with your band was they said one thing to keep you onboard and keep going but did f*** all to move up a notch.

There are two ways of looking at that :
1 - They were happy as they were and didn't want to change - but should have told you so.
2 - They were happy to change, but were too bloody lazy to do anything about it.

Not your problem now - onwards and upwards. Best of luck with what you do next.

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Now you can get on with what YOU want to do & not trying to do it with folk who don't want to do the same as you (that's a bit like pushing a truck up a hill with the dead man on).

Best of luck with getting a good band together. :)

Well done, sounds like you did the right thing to me.

There are two types of people in life, those that make things happen and those who don't. It sounds to me like you fall in to a different category than your band...

sorry to hear dude not much to add really other than echoing the sentiments of others

the function market can be a very competitive place so you've got to put in a lot of hard work to make things happen
and have a good group of people who are on the same page worth investing time and money in though as function
gigs can in fact be more lucrative than playing for original artists

i help to run a function band in the ruislip and herts area and funnily enough we're in st albans next weekend
if theres anything i can do to help or if you have any questions feel free to give me a pm for a chat

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1351980629' post='1857617']
Hey Alex...
Ps Still got the Ashdown speaker?
Good luck
Jon
[/quote]

Yes! It works perfectly in my Ampeg cab. Sounds great, but without the shame of looking like I actually own Ashdown gear [\troll]

Thanks for the kind words everyone! You may notice in my 'How to do a live mix?' thread that the band also suffered from a constant volume war between the guitarist and keyboardist.

I'm well aware the function/wedding market's certainly got a lot of competition. I'm confident that with a few firm rules in place I can carve out my slice of the pie...and eat it? I guess? Is that how the metaphor goes?

Alex

Guest bassman7755

You were on to loser with your old band TBH. Bands only work where everyone is doing it for the same reason - trying to mix people doing it purely for fun and people wanting to earn money never works out in the long term. I've been in the opposite situation to you, where I was in a function band but I was only in it for fun. I had to leave eventually because we started playing play gigs several hours drive away because certain band members needed the money (I'm lucky enough to have an extremely well paying day job ...)