Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc.

Grassie

Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway...

Does anyone here know the Bass Doc? I've been messaging him regarding a pickguard he was making for me, but I now haven't heard anything since October 5th. Was wondering if anyone could get hold of him to see if he's OK.

Cheers

Grant

I am experiencing the same problem, I initially sent him my scratch plate on 1st Oct to use as a template and £20 via PayPal, I messaged him on the 6 Oct to see if it had arrived ok and on 7th he said it had arrived and he would be on the case and have a result shortly on the 22 Oct I sent him a quick message to see if everything was ok no reply but I think he read the message, no answer again 26 oct when I sent a friendly enquiry. Waited a bit sent another message yesterday 1 nov, mentioned I didn't want to seem to be pestering him just concerned if everything ok as he had not answered last messages, gave him my emails, mobile and landline telephone numbers. I thought he may be ill or have a family emergency, although he had posted on the forums on 25th it would have been nice to get a reply to my messages. ......I was not sure how long a scratchplate took to make and if he had difficulty obtaining materials, illness etc, it's awkward not knowing what's happening tho

Hi all

Just heard from him:

[quote]

[i]Presently can't get into the workshop due to builders carrying out remedial work. [/i][i]Also stuff moved out into spare room means access to computer is limited.[/i]
[i]Can you let BCers know all we be finished by Wednesday when I'll be able to clear the backlog of jobs outstanding.[/i]
[i]Cheers, Horrid.[/i]
[/quote]

Hope this helps!

Howard's a good friend, and a very decent chap - I'm sure he'll sort the backlog ASAP.

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1351871883' post='1856472']
Thanks again guys, good to hear that nothing untoward has happened. The power of BC eh? :D
[/quote]

Indeed, unless the building work was unexpected, in which case I hope he is ok. He struck me as being a frightfully good chap in a PM conversation a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Howard has managed to reclaim his workshop from the builders? having just sold a bass i'm yearning to get my jazz up and running, i've got his number but don't want to disturb him if he's trying to get the backlog cleared.

Matt

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1351886114' post='1856691']
+1, don't know Howard personally, had a plate made by him, all the pages of +feedback says it all really.
[/quote]

Likewise. Bought a scratchplate from him recently, turnround was fine, he kept me informed and I have no complaints. I hope he's OK.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1352716872' post='1866365']
Does anyone know if Howard has managed to reclaim his workshop from the builders? having just sold a bass i'm yearning to get my jazz up and running, i've got his number but don't want to disturb him if he's trying to get the backlog cleared.

Matt
[/quote]Ditto re getting the "Lynott" back together. Hopefully soon

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1351885796' post='1856686']
Gave me a fright when i started reading this thread, ive known Howard for 20 years, and a finer gentleman you will not meet, i thought he was ill for a mo :)
[/quote]

Yeah, me too! After all, he is a gentleman of "a certain age".... :o

The internet is a funny old place isn't it? You message or e-mail someone and when you don't get a reply within minutes you assume all sorts of things... <_<

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1352796783' post='1867428']

The internet is a funny old place isn't it? You message or e-mail someone and when you don't get a reply within minutes you assume all sorts of things...
[/quote]

I hope this doesn't sound unfavourable but it works both ways too. I totally understand Howard has loads of respect and for good reason. But, if you have many people waiting to hear from you, you might want to find a way to get in touch just to let people know. I don't mind hearing that something will take longer than expected. I have issues when I'm not told and don't hear anything other than grapevine.. Please don't crucify me for that statement.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1352810540' post='1867637']
I hope this doesn't sound unfavourable but it works both ways too. I totally understand Howard has loads of respect and for good reason. But, if you have many people waiting to hear from you, you might want to find a way to get in touch just to let people know. I don't mind hearing that something will take longer than expected. I have issues when I'm not told and don't hear anything other than grapevine.. Please don't crucify me for that statement.
[/quote]

I agree with you

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1352810540' post='1867637']
if you have many people waiting to hear from you, you might want to find a way to get in touch just to let people know.[/quote]

Fair enough. But we don't know much about the circumstances here. He has already said (via WoT) that his computer access is limited. If the only point of contact he has with folks is their e-mail address, you can surely see how this would make communication difficult? Easy enough if you have someone's phone number...

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt before openly criticising eh?