Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc.

Grassie

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1356170891' post='1907547']
Annnnnything further on this? At the moment i dont have any scratchplate on my bass as Howard has my current one to take measurements from...
[/quote]

Same, I intended to sell this bass before xmas. Now that's not going to happen, there is no point me caring when it arrives :mellow:

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1355145815' post='1894548']
If anyone happens to speak to Howard please could they ask if he got, filled in and posted on my compo claim to Royal Mail for the plate he sent that postie snapped in two.

Thanks
A
[/quote] This, should anyone speak to him again. Ta

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1356193679' post='1907816']
I honestly think everyone's best bet is to give him a call, and speak to him in person.
[/quote]

+1. Howard's done a lot of work for me over the years and is 100% reliable, evidently more so than his internet provider, his builders and his suppliers. Give him a call in person rather than post pointlessly on this forum about it.

C

Sorry. I need to find his number. I fully understand the problems that have occurred and am not toy chucking. All I need to know is if it got sent off, though knowing the way Royal Mail are likely to wriggle out of anything I have written it off anyway. Heigh ho

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1356170891' post='1907547']
Annnnnything further on this? At the moment i dont have any scratchplate on my bass as Howard has my current one to take measurements from...
[/quote]
He's had three of mine since November.... hasn't even acknowledged receipt. That's not great form in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

Several weeks ago I offered to pass on Howard's number to concerned Basschatters. In that time only two people have asked. It would seem that some people would rather diss him on here, even though he won't read it himself.

Not impressed. The guy offers excellent work at mates-rates prices. He has hundreds of satisfied customers but as soon as he experiences a few logistical problems people start sticking the knife in. Unbelievable. :unsure: :angry:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357761321' post='1928070']
Several weeks ago I offered to pass on Howard's number to concerned Basschatters. In that time only two people have asked. It would seem that some people would rather diss him on here, even though he won't read it himself.

Not impressed. The guy offers excellent work at mates-rates prices. He has hundreds of satisfied customers but as soon as he experiences a few logistical problems people start sticking the knife in. Unbelievable. :unsure: :angry:
[/quote]

+1

Always had great service from Howard.

[/quote]

Totally agree Conan - only had two PMs after I posted the same. Sometimes it's best to do things the old-fashioned way & pick up the phone...

B.

[/quote]Just re read the thread to try to see the knife. There's been some grumps, but come on compared to what you might see elsewhere on the interweb it has all been pretty civilised just trying to get updates, even so far as keeping it off the forums & in private discussions. I have tried to keep any comment low key throughout in any post be it in open forum or privately, and am not about to nor ever have hurled any sort of abuse - same really for pretty much everyone involved I think.

I have Howard number (from the private discussions), have texted and may follow up at the w/e with a call - though this month is hell for me at work - but as my query is no longer with regard to the plate that arrived (broken by Royal Mail) but the follow on I have left that hanging rather than disturb him re that.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1357772925' post='1928356']
Just re read the thread to try to see the knife. There's been some grumps, but come on compared to what you might see elsewhere on the interweb it has all been pretty civilised just trying to get updates, even so far as keeping it off the forums & in private discussions. I have tried to keep any comment low key throughout in any post be it in open forum or privately, and am not about to nor ever have hurled any sort of abuse - same really for pretty much everyone involved I think.

I have Howard number (from the private discussions), have texted and may follow up at the w/e with a call - though this month is hell for me at work - but as my query is no longer with regard to the plate that arrived (broken by Royal Mail) but the follow on I have left that hanging rather than disturb him re that.
[/quote]

+1 a bit of frustration showing, nothing nasty. I received Howard's number from the private thread too, which is simply a running commentary of updates between a few members - no abuse what so ever.

Compare this to another thread on here where members are screaming for a retailer (incidentally also in the NE) to be "named and shamed"

Is he actually alright ? I mean I am quite sure he has pals with the interweb, who would gladly let him use it at the drop of a hat. Or an internet café or a wifi point nearby. Being as he's supposedly such a nice chap, and conscientious worker . It does not seem like him to fall behind with orders and not keep in touch with customers.

Maybe there is some darker reason that he has fallen behind with orders and kept away from the forum. Neither of which are like his usual self (from what I can tell from this forum anyway. I am not claiming to know the guy)

So many people seem to have more than a good word for him. This is obviously from a long earned reputation for doing good work and just being a decent bloke.

If he wants to keep it private fair enough.However, I'm starting to get a bit concerned myself and I don't even know the guy. So I am sure there must be people on here who know him in real life, who must be worried.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1357788851' post='1928489']
Is he actually alright ? I mean I am quite sure he has pals with the interweb, who would gladly let him use it at the drop of a hat. Or an internet café or a wifi point nearby. Being as he's supposedly such a nice chap, and conscientious worker . It does not seem like him to fall behind with orders and not keep in touch with customers.

Maybe there is some darker reason that he has fallen behind with orders and kept away from the forum. Neither of which are like his usual self (from what I can tell from this forum anyway. I am not claiming to know the guy)

So many people seem to have more than a good word for him. This is obviously from a long earned reputation for doing good work and just being a decent bloke.

If he wants to keep it private fair enough.However, I'm starting to get a bit concerned myself and I don't even know the guy. So I am sure there must be people on here who know him in real life, who must be worried.
[/quote]

He's fine - I was there a few days ago, and he was grafting away.

I honestly think part of it is this; he's a face-to-face / telephone guy. Chatting via computer is probably in a distant 3rd place.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1357788851' post='1928489']
Is he actually alright ? I mean I am quite sure he has pals with the interweb, who would gladly let him use it at the drop of a hat. Or an internet café or a wifi point nearby. Being as he's supposedly such a nice chap, and conscientious worker . It does not seem like him to fall behind with orders and not keep in touch with customers.[/quote]

That thought crossed my mind too, but it'll depend on how knackered his PC is, if all his contacts are inaccessible on a machine he's pretty much waiting for a phone-call from disgruntled (edit; & genuinely concerned) clients.
Maybe it'll be a lesson learned & he'll take steps to avoid loss of contact happening again.
In this day & age you can't be just a "face-to-face/phone" operator, nice thought, but if you offer an online facility you have to be able to back it up - or - no matter how undeserved they are - suffer the consequences.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1357823089' post='1928939']
In this day & age you can't be just a "face-to-face/phone" operator, nice thought, but if you offer an online facility you have to be able to back it up - or - no matter how undeserved they are - suffer the consequences.
[/quote]

Most of his jobs come in locally, via word-of-mouth. Old school!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357823397' post='1928949']Most of his jobs come in locally, via word-of-mouth. Old school![/quote]

Yeah I get that, so am I in what I do to a fair extent. But as I said - if you use the facility you have to make allowances for problems arising. If he has emails and/or contacts on a PC that he has limited access to for whatever reason, it's not that hard to have everything backed up on an ext drive or a large USB stick. Take that to a mates or internet cafe & send an email to all contacts to say "sorry for the delay, builders in, computer knackered etc".
I had to do similar last year when my phone line was down for almost a month due to floods.

Hasten to add, I'm not slagging the guy, I don't have any contact or work with him so I've no gripe & it sounds like he's great at what he does. Just hoping he learns from the experience for his benefit & future clients.