Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc.

Grassie

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357761321' post='1928070']
Several weeks ago I offered to pass on Howard's number to concerned Basschatters. In that time only two people have asked. It would seem that some people would rather diss him on here, even though he won't read it himself.

Not impressed. The guy offers excellent work at mates-rates prices. He has hundreds of satisfied customers but as soon as he experiences a few logistical problems people start sticking the knife in. Unbelievable. :unsure: :angry:
[/quote]
I got his number from someone else on BC, so I followed that contact up with an offer of my phone number so that Howard could give me a call (seeing as I'm the one waiting for my goods, I didn't think I was being unreasonable). As I waited and heard nothing, at the start of this week I called him and had a pleasant enough conversation with him. It turns out that during the building work he was having done to his workshop, my address details got seperated from my order, so he didn't know whose pickguard went with whose address. He then told me he would get to work on it straight away (this was Monday). As far as I'm concerned, all I need to do now is wait for my pickguard to arrive.
Conan, I understand from your somewhat aggravated post that you are actually friends with the guy, and I also understand that friends stick up for each other. However, you need to understand that I (and pretty much everyone else who has had problems with orders over the past five or so months) have never met him, let alone regard him as a friend. We have all paid (mates rates or not) for goods that we have not received, with absolutely f**k all contact, correspondence, phone calls, PM's whatsoever. So forgive us if we feel a little narked, but none of us have been "sticking the knife in", as you put it. If you feel pissed off on his behalf, fine, get on with it, not my problem. My problem is paying for something nearly four months ago and hearing nothing. Get over yourself. :angry:

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1357940505' post='1930989']
I followed that contact up with an offer of my phone number so that Howard could give me a call (seeing as I'm the one waiting for my goods, I didn't think I was being unreasonable).
[/quote]

Well, you had read the thread, and had been quite vocal on it. From the looks of it, you did even understand what was being told to you.

When you then decide you can keep nagging on BC but can't be arsed to pick up the phone, and the doc has to call you instead, calling it "not unreasonable", then I would say that you're not very active in contributing to the solution.

Don't know about the law where you live, but here in Norway, the customer is legally bound to be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem (though admittedly, some customers "don't know" that law).

This thread taught me to trust in dealing with the doc - not with you.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1358077534' post='1932608']
When you then decide you can keep nagging on BC but can't be arsed to pick up the phone, and the doc has to call you instead, calling it "not unreasonable", then I would say that you're not very active in contributing to the solution.
[/quote]

It's not unreasonable to ask to be kept in the loop where your order is up to, especially when no contact is possible over the site the order was placed on

My plate has arrived, I have nothing more to say in this thread

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1358077534' post='1932608']

Don't know about the law where you live, but here in Norway, the customer is legally bound to be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem (though admittedly, some customers "don't know" that law).

This thread taught me to trust in dealing with the doc - not with you.

[/quote]

Well, we have a saying here in the UK - "the customer is always right" and also "the customer comes first."
As I've stated before, it was the total lack of communication from Howard that was the problem - nothing else. I'm certainly not the only forum member on here that thinks the same way.
As for your last statement... FWIW, it's totally irrelevant (to me anyway).

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358081596' post='1932676']
It's not unreasonable to ask to be kept in the loop where your order is up to, especially when no contact is possible over the site the order was placed on

My plate has arrived, I have nothing more to say in this thread
[/quote]

This. I'm done.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1358081596' post='1932676']
It's not unreasonable to ask to be kept in the loop where your order is up to
[/quote]

Totally agreed, and as you may see, I did not write about that aspect.
I wrote about the combination of complaining here and not picking up the phone, as if:
- that is reasonable in itself
- sh*t never happens
- the bass doc is an enterprise with all kinds of systems to prevent sh*t from happening

where in reality:
- the reasonability is highly debatable
- sh*t does happen, to both Bass Doc and Grant as well as you and me
- the bass doc is a kind bloke who offers a nice service to fellow basschatters

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1358081653' post='1932678']
"the customer is always right"
/
"the customer comes first."
/
As I've stated before, it was the total lack of communication from Howard that was the problem - nothing else
[/quote]

Apart from the fact that the customer often is wrong, I [b]do[/b] agree with you here.
It [b]is[/b] reasonable to expect more from the bass doc than what he delivered. What I reacted against is what I wrote above: a certain combination of complaining here and not picking up the phone.

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1358081653' post='1932678']
As for your last statement... FWIW, it's totally irrelevant (to me anyway).
[/quote]

That's cool for me, but as I'm sure you are aware, this is not about the relation between Grant and Bert. (For other readers: I know nothing about Grant, and we have not had any contact that I'm aware of, so there's no history here as far as I'm aware.)
It is however feedback on how you portray yourself on BC - feedback that you can take to heart or throw away. As such it can't be "totally" irrelevant, even if you think it's nonsense from an idiot.
OK, maybe just in that case. :)

............ Oooooh! :o

BTW, I wish upon you no harm.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1358104444' post='1933225']
I'm not defending The Doc's lack of comms - its understandable that Grant etc. felt a bit miffed.

I do think it's a shame that things can be left to fester, when a simple phone call is often all that's needed. We're all grown-ups.
[/quote]

Totally agree. And yes, I probably was a bit defensive of Howard - while not understanding why he was so difficult to contact.

I hope no harm has been done. His reputation for quality work and good communications is well deserved, and hopefully this last few months has just been a blip.

I apologise for any offence caused by my earlier posts :blush:

I'm giving Howard a bell tomorrow to progress work on one of my BBs - I've no reason to think there's any delay as I told Howard up front that there was no rush.

I'll let you know if there's anything to report.

Just got in touch with Howard today re a scratchplate I'd ordered a few months back. It turns out mine was one of the orders that got orphaned from their details when he had some building work done. I called him today, he dug it out of the pile, phoned me back and he's on the case.

Hopefully, this means he's back on track - it sounds like he has a bit of a backlog (and a few jobs which have come adrift from their addresses etc) but it's all good.

Plate arrived today and looks lush.

Thanks to Conan for the heads up and Howard for a classy job (well, as classy as red pearloid can be, which isn't really classy at all...)

Choc ices all round.
[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1358194476' post='1934705']
So now we know he had a few issues during the building work, if your orders late, pick up da phone and call him.

Simples.
[/quote]
Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1358335835' post='1937090']
Plate arrived today and looks lush.

Thanks to Conan for the heads up and Howard for a classy job (well, as classy as red pearloid can be, which isn't really classy at all...)

Choc ices all round.

Amen.
[/quote]

I'm glad he's getting back on track after his recent problems.

He has made a few pickguards for me, some very "custom" without a real template, and he has always done a great job as well as been really nice to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen (& owned) a few hatchet jobs on EB0 conversions I just wanted to highlight this excellent job by the Bass Doc here..........

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-1968-EB0-EB3-vintage-Bass-Guitar-/230928185589?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5572311343717849834%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D230928185589%26"]http://www.ebay.co.u...230928185589%26[/url]

Great job done! Looks v authentic, especially the fuzz position which few conversions (IME) have bothered with.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread....great reading :-)

I've know H for yonks although hadn't seen him for 10 years or more until our recent little bass suarie up in Gateshead. He'd not aged a day....he's always been old!

As WoT said a load of times, he's old school and probably considers his pc as that horrible thing in the corner only to be looked at late at night ;-)

Ohhhhh...and divvint get too cutting with post 'cause I think he's a lawyer or something in real life :-0