Why become a member? ×

What is the avenue for the majority of your musical output...

andydye

Recent threads about how you do your covers got me wondering aout how the basschat population is made up, what proportion of us get their musical kicks from mostly playing covers or mostly playing originals or mostly in your bedroom/lounge/whatever...

I'm a mostly covers player, I do help out a few friends who gig occasionally with their singer/songriter output but it's not as often as I'd like! Neither is the covers band really but it's the most frequent thing I do...

I play in a new originals band, but its going slowly (which is fine as I'm busy).

I do have more time to brush up on learning new songs at home...which I actually really enjoy. It gives me time to get to know my equipment, and hear my technique problems....which then leads me to trying to resolve them.

I'm at about 2:1 covers to originals gigs. Not ideal as I prefer playing our own stuff but at least the covers brings in the cash. I usually dont bother learning the covers note for note. I'll have a listen to the bassline at home and do an improvised version at the gig. Guitarists/vocalists just love messing around with keys.

My objective is to play the bass in a band, to an audience and get paid for it. As long as the music is well played it can be Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, a Stevie Wonder song or an original.

I play in 1 covers band, 1 originals band and the others are a mixture of the two. I do the occasional session, which has always been original material and i hardly ever play at home.

We don't talk about the other!!

I'm in 2 covers bands. 1 is pretty stock pub chestnuts (and likely to disappear in a puff of its own apathy shortly) the other is a fairly new 80s covers band where we do some unusual numbers (Babooshka or Cornflake Girl anyone?) which I'm loving. Rehearsal tonight :)

Mine has shifted dramatically this year. I've gone from playing bass in originals bands for over a decade to playing lead guitar in a function band.

I do feel some frustration at not having an outlet for my songwriting, but on the other hand we couldn't afford to pay our childcare bills if I didn't spend most weekends busting out Mustang Sally at weddings. Luckily I enjoy music in general enough that I get a kick out of seeing people have a great time to the music we're playing and it doesn't (usually) bother me what's on the set. Glad to be playing at all, and to be contributing to people's special occasions and directly impacting on how much of a good time they're all having can be really rewarding!

Still miss big dirty riffs though.

Originals for me and that's nearly always been the case. Played in a couple of covers bands which were great fun but given a choice I prefer working with a good songwriter in a good band (plenty of dreadful original bands out there so certainly not elitist over the subject)