Why become a member? ×

One for you proggies - bit of Gabriel era Genesis live

Clarky

It's funny how my tastes have changed over the years. I've long been a fan of "Prog Rock", but I never liked Genesis to be honest, always finding them a bit insipid compared to the more bombastic stuff like Yes & King Crimson that I loved.
Nowadays I find it difficult to listen to Yes, and a lot of King Crimson stuff (specifically the Wetton era non-instrumental stuff with atrocious lyrics) makes me cringe.

Over the years however I have come to love Gabriel-era Genesis, I think they are quite superb.

Genesis were well before my time but I love Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway very much. I watched the footage of this gig in it's entirety recently, great stuff indeed.

Gabriel has so much character in his voice, and the music is just fantastic, all the prog twists and turns but melodically strong enough to carry it off. They really knew how to use dynamics to their full too, I think the Lamb might have the widest dynamic range of all the non classical music in my collection? Stuff like Hairless Heart makes the hairs on my neck stand up every time.

Thanks, Clarky!
Lovely stuff for some old geezers like meself, and apparently for some young'uns too.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1347912539' post='1806632']
They really knew how to use dynamics to their full too, I think the Lamb might have the widest dynamic range of all the non classical music in my collection?
[/quote]

Hey! Completely new perspective for me. Never even used one brain cell on Genesis' dynamics. Cool and thanks.
As for dynamics in prog, my pet peeve has always been Van der Graaf Generator. VdGG not only used dynamics to the extreme, but also followed them up with wildly varying vocals with great intensity. Lurv them. Lurv Genesis almost as much.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Awesome. How can stuff like this be left to fester in an archive somewhere? Criminal.

Anyway - this is [i]proper[/i] prog. Atmosphere, emotion, clever...

The current 'Clever-for-the-sake-of-it' Prog by numbers (Dream Theatre etc.) is a different beast entirely, IMO. It's of no interest at all to me.

Having spent many years in various Genesis tributes, I've now got a curious relationship with the band: having studied much of the music in-depth I now can't listen to it (or indeed any other Genesis tribute band) without being over-analytical about the performance. So having much affection for the 70s and early 80s output of the band, I don't really enjoy it any more. (After the B-side of "Genesis" from 1983, the rot had set in too deep (!) for me - although there are of course obvious clunkers in the pre-83 material as well)

Having said that, I've loaded Trespass and Nursery Cryme on to the music machine this morning to see how I get on. Maybe time and the conveyor belt of rememberable basslines (and 12-string and bass pedal lines) have done their job.

Great footage! Can't beat a bit of Gabriel era Genesis.
[quote name='ead' timestamp='1347953071' post='1806949']
Sadly I never saw PG do Supper's Ready, but did see the Seconds Out tour when Mr Collins did a passable impression. [/quote]
Very envious, would have loved to have seen them then, Steve Hackett was at his peak and his live sound was sublime!

Lovely find Clarky, many thanks :) never saw them at the time, but DID catch them at MK Bowl in...erm...82? Doing the 1 off WOMAD rescue gig. Obviously under rehearsed but still spellbinding, and when Hackett came on, the whole place erupted. Bliss

Genesis at their best were unbeatable and I think this clip shows that perfectly.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1347953370' post='1806959']
Awesome. How can stuff like this be left to fester in an archive somewhere? Criminal.

Anyway - this is [i]proper[/i] prog. Atmosphere, emotion, clever...

The current 'Clever-for-the-sake-of-it' Prog by numbers (Dream Theatre etc.) is a different beast entirely, IMO. It's of no interest at all to me.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1348006238' post='1808156']
How about this then....... [color=black]: [url="http://planetmosh.com/steve-hackett-genesis-revisited-tour-and-more-album-info/"][color=#0000ff]http://planetmosh.com/steve-hackett-genesis-revisited-tour-and-more-album-info/[/color][/url][/color]
[/quote]
Cheers! Hammersmith Apollo is 10 minutes walk from my house - think I'll get tickets for the May 2013 gig :)