Why become a member? ×

Aren't all bass players into Funk and Reggae???

TheGreek

I was chatting to a friend recently who's also a Bass player but isn't registered on this site..got to talking about the type of basslines he likes to listen to - I was a bit shocked when he said he wasn't really into Reggae or the Funky stuff though he did occassionally have a listen to both...

Since the "Funk and Groove" thread is one of the most contributed to and both are bass led, I thought that most bassists would be into Reggae and Funk..apparently not...

Any thoughts??

I guess it is how you see yourself as a bass player.
I do have a showy side so the funk element appeals to me..upto a point, as the bass can be pretty integral to that
and it the natural thing I gravitate towards
but reggae doesn't do it for me... too samey and dubby and droney in a way and it just doesn't really register
as a type of music for me..

So, I am 50 cents :lol:

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1347901732' post='1806416']
... got to talking about the type of basslines he likes to listen to ...
[/quote]
I don't really listen to basslines as such, I listen to music. However, a good bassline can occur in any genre of music.

I think the only genre I never listen to is that metally kind of stuff.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1347902611' post='1806438']
I really, REALLY dislike both and have actually turned down work that would have required me to play them. :)[/quote]

How strange. I always had a mental picture of you nodding away to some King Tubby with a gigantic chalice in your hand. :lol: :P

Trouble is the limes in funk and reggae can have an appeal but the content can be seriously lame. Good Times is a great example; intersting line, a little challenging etc but the tune is throwaway nonsense so whyt bother :lol: Reggae can be very repetitive and samey etc. It's not all about the bass.

I get a lot of surprised looks when I tell people I'm not really into rock, but mainly listen to funk, jazz and disco (being a long haired, goatee'd 'rock' lookin fella)
I explain it's 'bass player music'
Can't stand reggae though, especially as thetrs a bit of a cliquey self worshiping reggae thing in this town with some people; it just compounds my dislike further!

It's easy to relate to Funk music as a bass player because the bass is always so very prominent. Personally I don't think there's as much to be said for 'Funk' as a genre as much as there is for 'funk' as a type feel to be integrated sparingly into other kinds of music. Feel is what is most important for bass players, obviously good funk bass players have a lot of it and it is inspiring for some to hear.

I would say that there are probably too many bands trying to trade off of a funk-style sound. Absolutely fine in most cases, I have no problem with it per se except that [u]everyone[/u] nowadays is doing it and when its obvious that one or two players in the band have no background in playing or listening funk and R&B, it suddenly becomes terribly contrived and worse still will often sound very tame and very uninspired. It just seems to be everywhere right now!

I guess you'd think that musicians would be into styles of music that prominently feature the instrument they play.

From the responses it seems like musicians are into music that they enjoy (I think we can assume including music that doesn't feature their instrument at all).

Interesting.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1347903878' post='1806467']
How strange. I always had a mental picture of you nodding away to some King Tubby with a gigantic chalice in your hand. :lol: :P
[/quote]

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm sure your mental picture has some problems with the old vertical hold... :lol:

Don't take this the wrong way (Naturally, somebody will!...) but I find a few Bass Players have very selective hearing. They listen to a song, of whatever genre, and only seem to concentrate on the Bass Line. If the Bass is brilliant, the song must be. However, there are some out there, myself included, who like the 'whole' sound of a piece of music, and if the Bass Line is excellent, well that's a bonus. Because Funk and to an extent, Reggae, feature prominent Bass parts, then the slightly selfish attitude of some of us thinks instantly "I'd love to play that" which in turn means it must be good. I've played songs with absolutely rubbish Bass parts in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience, because I've been part of the ensemble performing it to Joe Public, who in turn seemed to enjoy themselves. As a case in point, Pino ALWAYS plays brilliantly to my way of thinking, but he's worked for people who (in my opinion only) turn out pile after pile of sh**. Nothing can detract from his performance or skill, but he's part of something I don't enjoy, so I can't listen to it. The same goes for a lot of Funk Bass Players-brilliant at what they do, but the music is the finest aid to insomnia that I know of personally. I'll get my flame-proof overalls on now, and nip off to listen to a bit of.......well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1347908961' post='1806552']
Don't take this the wrong way (Naturally, somebody will!...) but I find a few Bass Players have very selective hearing. They listen to a song, of whatever genre, and only seem to concentrate on the Bass Line. If the Bass is brilliant, the song must be. However, there are some out there, myself included, who like the 'whole' sound of a piece of music, and if the Bass Line is excellent, well that's a bonus. Because Funk and to an extent, Reggae, feature prominent Bass parts, then the slightly selfish attitude of some of us thinks instantly "I'd love to play that" which in turn means it must be good. I've played songs with absolutely rubbish Bass parts in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience, because I've been part of the ensemble performing it to Joe Public, who in turn seemed to enjoy themselves. As a case in point, Pino ALWAYS plays brilliantly to my way of thinking, but he's worked for people who (in my opinion only) turn out pile after pile of sh**. Nothing can detract from his performance or skill, but he's part of something I don't enjoy, so I can't listen to it. The same goes for a lot of Funk Bass Players-brilliant at what they do, but the music is the finest aid to insomnia that I know of personally. I'll get my flame-proof overalls on now, and nip off to listen to a bit of.......well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)
[/quote]

I think you're bang on the money actually. It's not just bass players either, all instrumentalists are guilty of it to one degree or another.