Why become a member? ×

Aren't all bass players into Funk and Reggae???

TheGreek

personally speaking im am quite looking forward to the day the p-funk mothership lands and spreads its luuurve and converts everybody on the planet to the power of the funk :gas:

[size=6][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#a52a2a]T[/color][color=#ffd700]H[/color][color=#2f4f4f]E[/color] [color=#008000]C[/color][color=#0000ff]O[/color][color=#ff8c00]S[/color][color=#ff0000]M[/color][color=#00ff00]O[/color][color=#00ffff]L[/color][color=#800080]O[/color][color=#00ffff]G[/color][color=#008000]Y[/color] [color=#ffa07a]O[/color][color=#ee82ee]F[/color] [color=#0000ff]P[/color][color=#ffa500]-[/color][color=#ff0000]F[/color][color=#00ff00]U[/color][color=#ffd700]N[/color][color=#006400]K [/color][/b] [url="http://stuckbetweenstations.org/2011/01/11/cosmology-of-pfunk/"][b]here[/b][/url]!!![/font][/size]

as for reggae ... hopefully that mars rover thingy will find somewhere suitable <_<

amused/bemused/confused that so many peeps use funk and slap almost as interchangeable terms - funk is soooo much more than just slapping :D

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1347952462' post='1806944']
...and "Good Times"---throwaway? Wow.
[/quote]

Totally - give me a free copy today and I'd throw it away...

Good times, these are the good times
Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times

Happy days are here again
The time is right for makin' friends
Let's get together, how 'bout a quarter to ten
Come tomorrow, let's all do it again

Boys will be boys, better let them have their toys
Girls will be girls, cute pony tails and curls
Must put an end to this stress and strife
I think I want to live the sporting life

A rumor has it that it's getting late
Time marches on, just can't wait
The clock keeps turning, why hesitate
You silly fool, you can't change your fate

Let's cut the rug, a little jive and jitterbug
We want the best, we won't settle for less
Don't be a drag, participate
Clams on the half shell and roller-skates, roller-skates

It ain't 'Paradise Lost', is it? :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347904434' post='1806474']
Trouble is the limes in funk and reggae can have an appeal but the content can be seriously lame. Good Times is a great example; intersting line, a little challenging etc but the tune is throwaway nonsense so whyt bother :lol: Reggae can be very repetitive and samey etc. It's not all about the bass.
[/quote]

But does all music have to be worthy? Can't some of it just be fun and throwaway?

I'd say generally the more worthy and meaningful funk tries to be, the less funky it becomes (there are exceptions of course).

Can't understand how anyone could dislike reggae, the most feel good music there is.

Not to mention the variety and the interlocking culture of jamaica with the UK, which gave birth to ska, shaped punk, created the foundation of modern electronic music(jungle, drum and bass, dubstep, etc)

Coupled with jerk chicken and a red stripe. It's the best.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347965038' post='1807164']
[/quote]

Good Times is Disco.

It's also a great jam which has been the backdrop to countless 'good times', and you can't throw that away.

Funk songs are generally just about 'funk', aren't they?

Edited by Duarte

My word, there's a lot of dislike for Funk on this thread :( , but I also think there's a lot of people out there putting funk in the same category as disco or categorising other genres as funk. :blink:

Funk to me is James Brown, Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy, George Clinton, The JB's, Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station, The Meters, Slave, Ohio Players etc, but, definitely [u]not[/u] Chic which is disco.

Funk music's influence has grown over the years and can be found in many different genres and bands today including funk rock (RHCP, Primus), various Acid Jazz (Jamiroquai, BNH, Young Disciples, Omar, etc) and Hip-hop groups (Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg obviously have the entire P Funk back catalogue) & pop. These genres and artists make music that is [i]funky,[/i] but, it is [u]not[/u] funk.

To me, true funk music has a hard repetitive bass driven groove, it's much rawer, more intense, (& sensual) than disco & definitely doesn't just have to be slap (I only really play funk finger style).

Come on let's have a bit more love for the Funk!! :lol:

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1347968814' post='1807265']
I don't know whether I like funk or not.

I love The Meters, and James Brown. I hate Tower ot Power.

Do I like funk?
[/quote]

But you don't have to like every artist within a genre. I love funk music in general, but I'm not a big fan of Tower of Power either.

And Disco, I love Chic, but pretty much hate KC and the Sunshine Band.

Funk, to me, is a nothing without George Clinton. Best gig I've been to this year was George at the 'Mostly Jazz' festival in birmingham. Gritty,raw, musical chaos. What's not to love about a huge party on stage and off stage?

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347965038' post='1807164']

Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times

Happy days are here again
The time is right for makin' friends
Let's get together, how 'bout a quarter to ten
Come tomorrow, let's all do it again

Boys will be boys, better let them have their toys
Girls will be girls, cute pony tails and curls
Must put an end to this stress and strife
I think I want to live the sporting life

A rumor has it that it's getting late
Time marches on, just can't wait
The clock keeps turning, why hesitate
You silly fool, you can't change your fate

Let's cut the rug, a little jive and jitterbug
We want the best, we won't settle for less
Don't be a drag, participate
Clams on the half shell and roller-skates, roller-skates

It ain't 'Paradise Lost', is it? :lol:
[/quote]

Thier are various levels to the meaning of this song , and a whole degree course could be built around just one verse

Your just not digging deep enough

Oh and the rappers delight version, great fun

+1 for George Clinton too - I saw him years ago at the Island in Ilford, one big party and the organisers eventually had to switch the lights off to get him off the stage. Bootsy too is a massive influence. I saw him last year at IndiO2 and he's still got the funk by the shovel load.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1347970788' post='1807327']
Thier are various levels to the meaning of this song , and a whole degree course could be built around just one verse

Your just not digging deep enough

Oh and the rappers delight version, great fun
[/quote]

I think you'd really be pushing the boat out if you were to write a dissertation on the lyrics to 'Good Times'. But then the lyrics are very uninteresting in themselves, the interest is generated by the song, the feel, the very clever harmonic ideas actually which Bilbo hasn't touched on in his critique!

There are plenty of jazz songs with lyrics no better than those of Good Times, but they may have some amazing compositional aspects, truly exceptional playing an interplay, marvelous phrasing and a really uplifting feel and most importantly evoke a great wmotional response in the listenr.

The lyrics do not make a song great, the entire song does (every part is equally important) and the recording and subsequent production of the final product (assuming its recorded rather than live) are every bit asw important a part of the communication of that emotinal response as any note or word in the composition.

Good Times is a party time disco track, and as such can be considered a pretty definitive example of the Disco scene. It has certainly evoked a huge emotional response for millions of people since its release.

It is definitely not throwaway, it also isnt high-brow, you do it a disservice Bilbo I think.....

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1347953788' post='1806965']
Yes.

What a lot of people forget is that funk and disco were 1970s bubblegum pop, regardless of how good the instrumental performances were (and I love Bernard Edwards as much as anyone).

Lyrically, the song's no better than S Club 7's "Don't Stop Movin'" and nobody would ever accuse that of being anything more than throwaway.
[/quote]

err... I think that that S Club song is amazing- quite of there stuff was classic and brilliant pop.
Motown was 60's pop, but we all like james jamerson.

I just like music, I like bits of funk, bits of reggae bits of soul, bit's of ska (both types) bits of jazz, bits of pop, country, folk and bits of rock- life's too short to start differentiating what I like or not based on genre. I've some bluegrass on at the moment.

Interesting music happens when something from one style goes into another...
Plus interesting stuff

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1347965821' post='1807181']
Can't understand how anyone could dislike reggae, the most feel good music there is.
[/quote]
Easy....To me it's not 'the most feel good music there is'. I like some Reggae,but I feel much better listening to
some Miles Davis or Phish or Ween or Dixie Chicks or Rodriguez or The Roots or whatever.Like I
said earlier some I like some I don't-and that goes for any genre.

Its always nice to hear a well executed funky lick but personally I'm not into the music at all. I like some metal rock songs where the bassist has but in a funky feel such as Incubus but thats about it.

It seems that Funky jams in (insert key) vids on youtube are common and it gets old quick, as does jazz solos high on the neck with pedal notes (hide).

I do tend to drift into it though when trying out basses in music shops...come one we've all been guitly of it at some point