Why become a member? ×

Aren't all bass players into Funk and Reggae???

TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1347901732' post='1806416']
I was chatting to a friend recently who's also a Bass player but isn't registered on this site..got to talking about the type of basslines he likes to listen to - I was a bit shocked when he said he wasn't really into Reggae or the Funky stuff though he did occassionally have a listen to both...

Since the "Funk and Groove" thread is one of the most contributed to and both are bass led, I thought that most bassists would be into Reggae and Funk..apparently not...

Any thoughts??
[/quote]

I like reggae in relatively small doses. I'm quite partial to anything with Sly & Robbie in it.

I can't stand funk. Never listen to it, haven't a clue how to play it, or why anyone else would want to.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347965038' post='1807164']
It ain't 'Paradise Lost', is it? :lol:
[/quote]

But it could be:

Joy unconfined might be; joy unconfine'd is.
Dull care begone, o task of Sisyphus.
That diversion, before thine eyes present itse'n in glee
'Pon this our minds be set; such times as good, considr'd be

Come once more times free of care
the better we companions new ensnare
And we, tho' trysting hours two and more fore midnight bell,
if by rising sun and full face of noon be glanc'd, apply ourselves again we shall.

Man is Man, 'pon earthly treasure bent
Vain woman, her tresses tend'th yet
Despair not we, nor force of arms to try.
In bowers of content methinks I shall abide

Tis bruited that the hour be late
for time, unlike to tide, doth not abate.
An day do follow day, should man not fortune grasp?
Ye, no friend to wit, thy hist'ry be set fast

Terspichore, tis thee we venerate,
Her Zenith we ador, Her nadir we ablate.
Cast off dolour's cloak, ye be well met;
On halv'd bivalves shall ye feast;
on thy feet four wheels be set.

Milton, Chic? It's all bollocks, see.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1347988232' post='1807761']
But it could be:

Joy unconfined might be; joy unconfine'd is.
Dull care begone, o task of Sisyphus.
That diversion, before thine eyes present itse'n in glee
'Pon this our minds be set; such times as good, considr'd be

Come once more times free of care
the better we companions new ensnare
And we, tho' trysting hours two and more fore midnight bell,
if by rising sun and full face of noon be glanc'd, apply ourselves again we shall.

Man is Man, 'pon earthly treasure bent
Vain woman, her tresses tend'th yet
Despair not we, nor force of arms to try.
In bowers of content methinks I shall abide

Tis bruited that the hour be late
for time, unlike to tide, doth not abate.
An day do follow day, should man not fortune grasp?
Ye, no friend to wit, thy hist'ry be set fast

Terspichore, tis thee we venerate,
Her Zenith we ador, Her nadir we ablate.
Cast off dolour's cloak, ye be well met;
On halv'd bivalves shall ye feast;
on thy feet four wheels be set.

Milton, Chic? It's all bollocks, see.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347904434' post='1806474']
Reggae can be very repetitive and samey etc. It's not all about the bass.
[/quote]

Reggae bass may be repetitive but surely bass is all about repetitive. I'll go further - most music is about repetitive! Dance is about repetitive! Repeating riffs are usually at the basis of a song's hook, appeal, danceability.

Dammit, if you don't have a bit of repetitive then you have freeform jazz and THEN where would we be? :o :P

(I might need to borrow that flame proof suit...)

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1347999867' post='1808018']
Reggae bass may be repetitive but surely bass is all about repetitive. I'll go further - most music is about repetitive! Dance is about repetitive! Repeating riffs are usually at the basis of a song's hook, appeal, danceability.

Dammit, if you don't have a bit of repetitive then you have freeform jazz and THEN where would we be? :o :P

(I might need to borrow that flame proof suit...)
[/quote]

It even goes further than that. For a sequence of notes to be recognisable as a tune there must be repeating patterns within its structure. For a sound to be recognised as a musical note, its waveform must have a repeating structure. Otherwise you get noise. Repetition is everything. Even for bum notes, then you can claim you meant it, when otherwise you might get done for deviation. Hesitation (holding back on the beat) also works sometimes ;)

Edited by musophilr

I'll just chime in by saying I used to listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop (ice cube, 2pac being top) then I had the idea of picking up the bass. I discovered most of the songs I like have bass-lines sampled from old funk songs. Since then I've pretty much only listened to funk music. The songs seems to groove along better with a more definitive flow than most of the music which I can't stand coming out at the moment.

PS. I still love listening to music such as ACDC, I just don't find them fun to play bass to.

PS x2 . I do not listen to lyrics in music.

Edited by ScreencastTutor

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1348000599' post='1808029']
It even goes further than that. For a sequence of notes to be recognisable as a tune there must be repeating patterns within its structure. For a sound to be recognised as a musical note, its waveform must have a repeating structure. Otherwise you get noise. Repetition is everything. Even for bum notes, then you can claim you meant it, when otherwise you might get done for deviation. Hesitation (holding back on the beat) also works sometimes ;)
[/quote]

:lol: - TBH, I'm more of an ISIHAC man meself.

[quote name='ScreencastTutor' timestamp='1348004833' post='1808127']
I'll just chime in by saying I used to listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop (ice cube, 2pac being top) then I had the idea of picking up the bass. I discovered most of the songs I like have bass-lines sampled from old funk songs. Since then I've pretty much only listened to funk music. The songs seems to groove along better with a more definitive flow than most of the music which I can't stand coming out at the moment.

[/quote]

That's exactly how I got into funk music, and never looked back, and also the reason I picked up the bass.

For those of you saying funk music lyrics aren't deep try to listening to 'Vanish in Our Sleep' by Bootsy:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4q7ynqIpk&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4q7ynqIpk&feature=player_detailpage[/url]

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1348000599' post='1808029']
[/quote]

Thank you for giving me an excuse to post this (flame proof suit on)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8GJ6zbc5g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8GJ6zbc5g[/url]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1347901732' post='1806416']
I was chatting to a friend recently who's also a Bass player but isn't registered on this site..got to talking about the type of basslines he likes to listen to - I was a bit shocked when he said he wasn't really into Reggae or the Funky stuff though he did occassionally have a listen to both...

Since the "Funk and Groove" thread is one of the most contributed to and both are bass led, I thought that most bassists would be into Reggae and Funk..apparently not...

Any thoughts??
[/quote]

I like both, mainly dependent on artist/track, but they're probably both somewhat down my pecking order. If I had to choose I'm more of a prog/fusion/jazz/pop/rock guy. If there is such a thing, of course. :lol: Seriously, I'm generally far more into melodic bass (and music) than groove bass (and music). Unless there's a drone involved. I do love a good drone. :D

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347965038' post='1807164']
Totally - give me a free copy today and I'd throw it away...

Good times, these are the good times
Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Good times, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times

Happy days are here again
The time is right for makin' friends
Let's get together, how 'bout a quarter to ten
Come tomorrow, let's all do it again

Boys will be boys, better let them have their toys
Girls will be girls, cute pony tails and curls
Must put an end to this stress and strife
I think I want to live the sporting life

A rumor has it that it's getting late
Time marches on, just can't wait
The clock keeps turning, why hesitate
You silly fool, you can't change your fate

Let's cut the rug, a little jive and jitterbug
We want the best, we won't settle for less
Don't be a drag, participate
Clams on the half shell and roller-skates, roller-skates

It ain't 'Paradise Lost', is it? :lol:
[/quote]

No, and it's probably all the better for it. ;)

Dancing Queen is hardly the Bard either, but I'll take it over 99.999% of the music out there. Why? Because IMO it's a glorious tune. Which to me is all that matters.

I'll add that I do love a bit of Chic BTW. Bernard is sublime.