Why become a member? ×

Aren't all bass players into Funk and Reggae???

TheGreek

I don't dig much funk, but I love reggae and dub. The fact is, they are often not executed well by the average musician. Reggae is incredibly difficult to get feeling right, and funk seems to have become a medium for technical blowouts that contain not a shred of funk. They are both very very difficult and in my opinion not achievable by the majority of hobbyists, like most of us.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1347908961' post='1806552']
Don't take this the wrong way (Naturally, somebody will!...) but I find a few Bass Players have very selective hearing. They listen to a song, of whatever genre, and only seem to concentrate on the Bass Line. If the Bass is brilliant, the song must be. However, there are some out there, myself included, who like the 'whole' sound of a piece of music, and if the Bass Line is excellent, well that's a bonus. Because Funk and to an extent, Reggae, feature prominent Bass parts, then the slightly selfish attitude of some of us thinks instantly "I'd love to play that" which in turn means it must be good. I've played songs with absolutely rubbish Bass parts in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience, because I've been part of the ensemble performing it to Joe Public, who in turn seemed to enjoy themselves. As a case in point, Pino ALWAYS plays brilliantly to my way of thinking, but he's worked for people who (in my opinion only) turn out pile after pile of sh**. Nothing can detract from his performance or skill, but he's part of something I don't enjoy, so I can't listen to it. The same goes for a lot of Funk Bass Players-brilliant at what they do, but the music is the finest aid to insomnia that I know of personally. I'll get my flame-proof overalls on now, and nip off to listen to a bit of.......well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)
[/quote]

Totally agree with you.

Music isn't just about <insert your instrument here>, it's about the sum total of all the parts.
If the bassline has to be root and fifths to make a piece work as a cohesive performance, then so be it.

I've earned a lot of money over the years by keeping things 'simple' and although it's nice to play something clever occasionally, I'll never try and lever something that doesn't fit into a space that doesn't need it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1347911043' post='1806595']
I think you're bang on the money actually. It's not just bass players either, all instrumentalists are guilty of it to one degree or another.
[/quote]
I'd agree with this. The trick is to not get sucked into being an 'instrumentalist'. I really try to be a musician, whatever that really means. I try to distance myself from all the trappings of being an 'instrumentalist' and it's quite hard to do when you know you can get a cheap thrill from nice comments on your skillz. Sadly many instrumentalists are quite shallow in their appreciation of MUSIC, and defer to technical excesses because that's so much easier than making music that touches people.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1347908961' post='1806552']
Don't take this the wrong way (Naturally, somebody will!...) but I find a few Bass Players have very selective hearing. They listen to a song, of whatever genre, and only seem to concentrate on the Bass Line. If the Bass is brilliant, the song must be. However, there are some out there, myself included, who like the 'whole' sound of a piece of music, and if the Bass Line is excellent, well that's a bonus. Because Funk and to an extent, Reggae, feature prominent Bass parts, then the slightly selfish attitude of some of us thinks instantly "I'd love to play that" which in turn means it must be good. I've played songs with absolutely rubbish Bass parts in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience, because I've been part of the ensemble performing it to Joe Public, who in turn seemed to enjoy themselves. As a case in point, Pino ALWAYS plays brilliantly to my way of thinking, but he's worked for people who (in my opinion only) turn out pile after pile of sh**. Nothing can detract from his performance or skill, but he's part of something I don't enjoy, so I can't listen to it. The same goes for a lot of Funk Bass Players-brilliant at what they do, but the music is the finest aid to insomnia that I know of personally. I'll get my flame-proof overalls on now, and nip off to listen to a bit of.......well, that would be telling, wouldn't it? ;)
[/quote]

I have to agree with this too.

There's a lot of reggae and a lot of funk that's throwaway, as in all other genres. However, as 'samey' as reggae can be, there's some quality bass lines in there. 'Tubbys Dub Song' being a prime example, not just root fifths but really intricate playing.

Playing reggae through the right rigs also a big essential. A mate of mine who I used to make some dubs with had a 3,000watt sound system he built in his shed. Running my bass through that was thunderous!

Funks one of those things where I enjoy noodling my own stuff, but wouldn't actively go and seek a record to listen to

Funk, played really well, like proper grooving ace funky funk?

Love it to death.

All that 'wanna be funky' missing the point nonsense trotting out the same tired funky drum parts and cookie cutter bass parts (slapped, picked fingerstyle - whatever), with tired horn lines retreading the same old stuff, and over-souling vocals that on their own are enough to make me want to tear my own ears of the side of my head to stop hearing them.

Not so much....

The other day I was in a rehearsal studio and everything we played came out all reggae, I mean properly layed back and really sweet reggae grooves. Turned out we were all utterly exhausted before we got there. So reggae is like funk but knackered maybe??

I do like a bit of reggae, when its really great songs, but then I like a lot of really great music that just hits the spot for whatever reason, could be the vocal performance (like the BVs on Sympathy for the Devil) the bassline (Story of American Life), the overall production (all of T-Power's Self Evident Truth of an Intuitive Mind) or the Kazoo playing (Crosstown Traffic).

Funnily enough I dont really like Nirvana, but the Little Roy album of reggae covers of Nirvana tracks is just brilliant....

Some of my favorite music CSN, stills, America type stuff has very supportive but subtle baselines, fuzzy Samuels was a great player on this stuff

But I can also enjoy a grooving instrumentalist type bass line, funky jam etc, but that has to be solid and not in any way slappy

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347904434' post='1806474']
Trouble is the limes in funk and reggae can have an appeal but the content can be seriously lame. Good Times is a great example; intersting line, a little challenging etc but the tune is throwaway nonsense so whyt bother :lol: Reggae can be very repetitive and samey etc. It's not all about the bass.
[/quote]

If you get bored playing reggae then you're doing it wrong.

...and "Good Times"---throwaway? Wow.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1347911345' post='1806601']
I don't dig much funk, but I love reggae and dub. The fact is, they are often not executed well by the average musician. Reggae is incredibly difficult to get feeling right, and funk seems to have become a medium for technical blowouts that contain not a shred of funk. They are both very very difficult... [/quote]

+1,000,000. (although I do dig funk).

Reggae in particular is done really badly by most people who attempt it. Myself included.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1347952462' post='1806944']
...and "Good Times"---throwaway? Wow.
[/quote]

Yes.

What a lot of people forget is that funk and disco were 1970s bubblegum pop, regardless of how good the instrumental performances were (and I love Bernard Edwards as much as anyone).

Lyrically, the song's no better than S Club 7's "Don't Stop Movin'" and nobody would ever accuse that of being anything more than throwaway.

When I listen to music, I'm listening firstly to the song, secondly to the arrangement and production and thirdly to the performance. I'm far more interested in how all the parts fit together than what any individual musician is doing. In fact if I do notice individual musicians it's normally because I think what they are playing is inappropriate for the song either in sound or note choice.

Maybe it's because bass is not my only instrument, so I don't have a single focus when listening to music; and also since I discovered synths and sequencers in the late 70s instrumental chops have become less important to me.

My few musical heroes are song writers and producers. IMO they are the ones with the real musical talents.

So back to the OP. For me both funk and reggae are great when you're out on the dance floor, but away from that only a few pieces have enough musical value to me to spend any time listening to them for pleasure. There are some great production ideas in dub and I've nicked most of them at one time or another to use in my music. However a prominent favoured instrument is not enough on its own to get me into a piece that I think has no real overall value (i.e. I don't like it as a piece of music).

BTW what is this thread doing in Off Topic? This is one of the most "On Topic" bass discussions going at the moment!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1347901732' post='1806416']
I was chatting to a friend recently who's also a Bass player but isn't registered on this site..got to talking about the type of basslines he likes to listen to - I was a bit shocked when he said he wasn't really into Reggae or the Funky stuff though he did occassionally have a listen to both...

Since the "Funk and Groove" thread is one of the most contributed to and both are bass led, I thought that most bassists would be into Reggae and Funk..apparently not...

Any thoughts??
[/quote]

I don't listen to either :)

I don't listen to either. I can do, I don't detest them or anything but I don't own many, if any, albums and none have made their way onto my iPod.

There's songs in all genres that have amazing basslines, I don't see why just because we all play bass, we'd all listen to the same genres of music. It's more likely that someone listened to their preferred genre, then picked up bass after rather than started playing bass and then picked a genre to listen to based on their instrument.