Why become a member? ×

Pino on the one show

gub

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1347211592' post='1798090']
Ah, but that's a government-funded propaganda service merely delivered by the BBC - or was, until a recent budget review, I seem to recall, where the BBC itself has to pay for the operating costs now. Whatever, it's still a government thing
[/quote]
The World Service is funded by the Foreign Office but from 2014 it will be hypothetically from the licence fee. BBC Worldwide sells BBC programming on a profit basis to boost income - presumably they might be trying to sell The One Show.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1347188953' post='1797758']
i was 'criticised' last week for suggesting that average public person could tell when a tune wasnt faithful to the original script - people ( ie non muso types) are a lot more savvy than they are often given credit for - it doesnt take musical training/education for somebody to be able to spot small differences in performances and arrangement
[/quote]

If it was my 'Do you really think so ... ' comment then it wasn't meant to be a criticism in anyway, so please don't take it as such. I was just saying that that wasn't my experience, yours is obviously different. If it upset you in anyway then please accept my apologies.

It doesn't take musical training etc. , but it does need someone who actually listens to / is aware of the bass line (Indeed any part other than the predominant theme at the time). Hence in some tunes, (All Right Now (parts of), Wherever I Lay My Hat etc.) a deviation in the bass line might be noticed but in many others I still believe that the average punter is pretty unaware of what the bass is doing.

I made a point in yet another thread re Smoke On The Water. I suspect that if you asked a random collection of people how the bass line went most of them would sing the main theme - not the bass line.

I repeat - all in my humble opinion/experience: I could be wrong - it did happen once. :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1347223502' post='1798295']
If it was my 'Do you really think so ... ' comment then it wasn't meant to be a criticism in anyway, so please don't take it as such. I was just saying that that wasn't my experience, yours is obviously different. If it upset you in anyway then please accept my apologies.

It doesn't take musical training etc. , but it does need someone who actually listens to / is aware of the bass line (Indeed any part other than the predominant theme at the time). Hence in some tunes, (All Right Now (parts of), Wherever I Lay My Hat etc.) a deviation in the bass line might be noticed but in many others I still believe that the average punter is pretty unaware of what the bass is doing.

I made a point in yet another thread re Smoke On The Water. I suspect that if you asked a random collection of people how the bass line went most of them would sing the main theme - not the bass line.

I repeat - all in my humble opinion/experience: I could be wrong - it did happen once. :)
[/quote]

I was going to say pretty much the same thing and you beat me to the punch! Most people are blissfully unaware of bass guitar in the music that they listen to.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1347223502' post='1798295']

[/quote]

no no offence taken at all i do agree it comes in degrees of variance all the way through the spectrum

in fact only recently i experienced the bandleader/keyboard player of a function band i play in doubling the bass line from a chord sheet he was playing from purely because he was probably 'recalling it from memory' :o tbh ive noticed it too at previous gigs but the last gig it became horribly apparent to all in the room as my bass cab was stood right beside the PA bass cab and it was in a long low hotel function room - it must have been shaking the optics in the bar at the far end -

but with regard to your original comment i am slightly biased in that i have what i can only describe from a very early age as an almost borderline ocd/autism ability to recall music in a mental tape recorder fashion and even at four years old i was listening to all the sixties schtuff on the wireless and unconciousley homing in on the bass lines so i do tend to take bass a bit more for granted i guess - so i guess the average keen music listener would more likely home in on lead lines keyboard lines etc - how many non guitarists for example could whistle or sing for you the complete solo of hotel california or stairway to heaven? quite a few id imagine but then bass lines people will only recall the memorable/prominent stuff like down in the tubestation or wherever i lay my hat etc etc :)

apologies if a bit rambling im just trying to come up with a decent logo for a BC'ers band :ph34r:

edit - yes if lucky they might recite the first three rising notes of the bass line that leads in the the crunching guitar riff but then not much else after that ;)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1347098614' post='1796893']
It'd be interesting to see how many non muso types could name songs with a bass feature in it. Hat certainly, maybe Alright Now, My Generation and Level42 song of your choosing, but outside of those the bass is probably not noticed, I'd love to be really wrong about that and not giving Joe and Joanne Public enough credit.
[/quote]
Another one bites the dust, Under pressure, summer nights, blues brothers tune (whatever its called), there's gotta be loads more

For all of you inspired by Pino and don't know his bassline to the first part of the song you can download my tab for it in a previous thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73841-what-are-you-transcribing-at-the-moment/page__view__findpost__p__728179"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73841-what-are-you-transcribing-at-the-moment/page__view__findpost__p__728179[/url]

Enjoy

What i find quite interesting is how a top session player can't read music. Not that there is a problem with that, it's just you can encounter quite a lot of snobbery from session players who read towards those who can't. I've seen it on here, people going on about how in the 'real world' of gigs you need to read, no tab etc, i've witnessed it whilst on gigs towards those who can't....quite sad. So it's good to now some of the very best don't/can't.

I wonder how many other well known sessioneers couldn't/can't read notation......Jamerson,Dunn?
I should think in Pino's case his reputation precedes him to some extent and people employ him for his sound and style or feel and therefore give him a reasonably free hand at what he does, in the way they would if they had someone like David Gilmour playing on their track

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1347294104' post='1798943']
What i find quite interesting is how a top session player can't read music. Not that there is a problem with that, it's just you can encounter quite a lot of snobbery from session players who read towards those who can't. I've seen it on here, people going on about how in the 'real world' of gigs you need to read, no tab etc, i've witnessed it whilst on gigs towards those who can't....quite sad. So it's good to now some of the very best don't/can't.
[/quote]
... but, as Palladino himself pointed out in the interview, if it was a reading session he wouldn't have got the job.

[quote name='OzMike' timestamp='1347221066' post='1798265']
For non UK people:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEDeIsOe3Rw[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for the clip! At 2m31s he's saying "Now when you get to THIS..." and was obviously going to go on to say something profound about the part significant only to us lot. Then she interrupts him with her gushing and he's suddenly on to Stravinsky. I wonder what he was going to say?

ps is it a double stop at 2m27s? or is the D string not being held? Can't tell.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1347294104' post='1798943']
[/quote]

I met Pino once and asked him how he handles sessions with notation, he smiled and said "I can't read except for chords but if there are notes : most of the time they just hum them to me.."