Why become a member? ×

Pino on the one show

gub

Did anybody notice the presenter girl (the one sitting with Evans - not the red haired one) was trying to tell us by way of introduction, how the song would have been nothing without Pino's bassline, but she gave up when Evans kept talking over the top of her. Shame.

CB

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1347122406' post='1797212']

Now I don't mind tuning in to the one show if only for a few minutes. It's good to get a daily fix of Alex Jones (top bit of totty) and Carrie Grant is a very foxy cougar. Mr. Grant's a lucky guy cuddling up to her every night :gas:
[/quote]
Sorry read this as Aled Jones ( top bit of totty ) and was about to say he has let himself go a bit these days so not any longer!

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1347138305' post='1797418']
Did anybody notice the presenter girl (the one sitting with Evans - not the red haired one) was trying to tell us by way of introduction, how the song would have been nothing without Pino's bassline, but she gave up when Evans kept talking over the top of her. T*@t.

CB
[/quote]fixed

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1347089189' post='1796785']Fretless MM stingray is what he was known for at the time ... wouldn't touch a Precision back then. How times change.[/quote]
I guess, if you're ignoring that his first bass was a Fender Precision, which he used when he worked with Jools Holland's Millionaires and with David Knopfler, as well as it being his main fretted bass, until he acquired a Warwick Thumb.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1347089822' post='1796789']'79 Fretless SR plus Boss OC-2 plus an obliging sound engineer on Paul Young's No Parlez album were the 3 ducks which lined up to bring Pino charging into to our lives in the first place.[/quote]
I guess, if you're ignoring that the first project he used the Stingray/OC2/direct to desk combination was Gary Numan's I, Assassin, released in late '82, and a big hit album, before playing on Nick Heyward's North of a Miracle, released in early '83, another big hit album. Paul Young's No Parlez didn't appear until mid '83.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1347154817' post='1797547']
I guess, if you're ignoring that his first bass was a Fender Precision, which he used when he worked with Jools Holland's Millionaires and with David Knopfler, as well as it being his main fretted bass, until he acquired a Warwick Thumb.

I guess, if you're ignoring that the first project he used the Stingray/OC2/direct to desk combination was Gary Numan's I, Assassin, released in late '82, and a big hit album, before playing on Nick Heyward's North of a Miracle, released in early '83, another big hit album. Paul Young's No Parlez didn't appear until mid '83.
[/quote]
No one likes a Know it all :yarr: :D
J is for....

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1347089189' post='1796785']
The Fretless MM stingray is what he was known for at the time, and he used to "slap it up" a bit too! wouldn't touch a Precision back then. How times change.
[/quote]

It looks like it has a Status graphite neck in the Top of the Pops clip?

Pino and his big hair were in my way when I went to see Doug Wimbish at the Bass Centre many years ago but I didn't really feel I could say "Oi, mush! Move yer barnet". That's pretty much my only claim to fame.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1347155758' post='1797550']No one likes a Know it all :yarr: :D
J is for....[/quote]
Would rather know the facts, than perpetrate internet rumours. And it appears to being implied that his first fretless was the StingRay. That's not correct. His first fretless was a Fender Precision, in addition to his first bass being a fretted Fender Precision. The Fender was purchased over a year before the first of his StingRays, and was featured on Nick Heyward's North of a Miracle and Go West's Go West, alongside StingRays. He also acquired a Pedulla Buzz Bass, which was routinely used for studio recordings.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1347185051' post='1797685']It looks like it has a Status graphite neck in the Top of the Pops clip?[/quote]
Not on the first of his StingRays - the one, estimated to be a '79, purchased from Sam Ash, in New York, in '82. That one has been re-boarded, with a 100+ year old touchboard from a double bass, but is otherwise stock. He did purchase another two fretless StingRays, one in an identical finish to his '79.

Were Status manufacturing carbon graphite Stingray necks prior to July '83?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1347187793' post='1797733']

Would rather know the facts, than perpetrate internet rumours. And it appears to being implied that his first fretless was the StingRay. That's not correct. His first fretless was a Fender Precision, in addition to his first bass being a fretted Fender Precision. The Fender was purchased over a year before the first of his StingRays, and was featured on Nick Heyward's North of a Miracle and Go West's Go West, alongside StingRays. He also acquired a Pedulla Buzz Bass, which was routinely used for studio recordings.
[/quote]

Your attention to detail is quite ironic considering your countless grammatical errors and misuse of the English language.

C0ck measuring from certain individuals aside, the clip was ace and it's always nice to have an insight (even if it is brief) into the mind of a top musician.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1347098614' post='1796893']
It'd be interesting to see how many non muso types could name songs with a bass feature in it. Hat certainly, maybe Alright Now, My Generation and Level42 song of your choosing, but outside of those the bass is probably not noticed, I'd love to be really wrong about that and not giving Joe and Joanne Public enough credit.
[/quote]

+1 exactly this!

i was 'criticised' last week for suggesting that average public person could tell when a tune wasnt faithful to the original script - people ( ie non muso types) are a lot more savvy than they are often given credit for - it doesnt take musical training/education for somebody to be able to spot small differences in performances and arrangement

ok so they may not be able to explain them in their correct technical terms (but then i know plenty of 'musicians' who are unable/unwilling to refer to measures/bars/codas/mid8s etc etc)

is the pino clip still up on iplayer?? - just off for a wee check

edit - just found [b][url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/freur/"]THIS[/url][/b] whilst searching :D

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1347188264' post='1797743']
Not on the first of his StingRays - the one, estimated to be a '79, purchased from Sam Ash, in New York, in '82. That one has been re-boarded, with a 100+ year old touchboard from a double bass, but is otherwise stock. He did purchase another two fretless StingRays, one in an identical finish to his '79.

Were Status manufacturing carbon graphite Stingray necks prior to July '83?
[/quote]

Good question, they were founded in '81 but didn't produce many basses until '82. I think they've been making Fender and Musicman replacement necks for decades but '83 might be a bit early. Here's the clip featuring the Stingray with an all black neck:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QnwJ3fBCU[/media]

Pino Palladino is a Status Endorsee so I put 2 and 2 together..... but it's probably for his Vintage PP Signature bass on the Status website.

Edited by Fat Rich

Pino's graphite neck (which he fitted while he had the original neck's fingerboard replaced) wasn't a Status one (or Strata as they were first known before Fender got them to change the name). I can't remember if it was a Moses or a Modulus neck. Maz (Pino's wife) can't recall which one it was either.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1347191163' post='1797802']
Unfortunately not.. site says "UK only"

[/quote]

What a bummer. Why ??????? BBC bollox. same when I was living in Spain.
Just a wonderful, humble man. Wish there was more of Pino on the web.... but he seems to remain quite low key.

Edited by leftyhook