Why become a member? ×

Expensive Cables - Are They Worth It?

flyfisher

We've had a few discussions about all this but I came across an article in PC Pro magazine this month that included some interesting references:

The general conclusion is that there is a definite benefit of spending a bit of extra money higher quality cable and connectors from a [u]physical/mechanical[/u] perspective, especially in applications where they are regularly being plugged/unplugged (which is typical of band gear of course), but after that there is no real impact on the actual sound.

Anyway, this isn't really to rekindle the debate, just to point interested parties in the direction of a lot of other information on the subject.

I couldn't find a link to the PC Pro article, probably because it's the current issue (Sept 2012), but here are the links to the references within, just in case anyone is having trouble sleeping at night. ;)

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc1

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc2

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc3 (comparing expensive hookup cables with coat-hanger wire!)

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc4

www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc5

And one all about digital cables, e.g. HDMI
www.pcpro.co.uk/links/215idc6

I've got a super expensive studio pro Monster cable that I don't use - probably don't want to damage it as it was about £80-90 or so!!

Anyhow, my friend Paul Turner was gigging and he forgot his lead - oops!!!!! I gave him my Monster cable and he used it on the gig and them in the studio s few days later. His impression of it? He didn't like it!! He found that the super clarity of the signal seemed to increase the midrange which gave him a sound he didn't particularly like.

In fact, he was interviewed in s magazine somewhere and he mentioned high end cables. His comment was along the lines of "I've seen the ads that say "can you hear the difference"? Well, I can, and I don't like it! Hahaha". So, Paul just uses his preferred Planet Waves leads. Affordable and reliable.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I only use BC member [b]obbm[/b]'s cables now. They are superb quality (Neutrik, Van Damme, Klotz, etc.), almost bulletproof, and cheaper than I could make them myself. Cheaper than a lot of the 'cheap' no-name sh*te you find in 'music' shops too.

It depends where you draw the expensive line :happy: I only use Fender Bass specific cables, the Gold being my favourite, Platinum is a bit too stiff.

Just lately I've been thinking about trying a Asterope - good enough for Bob Babbit (rest his soul) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNENWcEwazk&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNENWcEwazk&feature=relmfu[/url]

Actually, it was that post that prompted me to post about that PC Pro article and the references.

I'm with Silddx on this and use OBBM cables. The physical construction and quality is great and, although I've made plenty of cables in my time, it's not really worth the time and trouble given OBBMs prices.

As for any 'audio colouring' - who knows? I've not noticed anything but even if there is something I doubt it's anything compared to the amount of tone control fiddling I do with my amp at different venues anyway. And anyone using a pedal or more, well . . . .

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343581482' post='1752315']
I only use BC member [b]obbm[/b]'s cables now. They are superb quality (Neutrik, Van Damme, Klotz, etc.), almost bulletproof, and cheaper than I could make them myself. Cheaper than a lot of the 'cheap' no-name sh*te you find in 'music' shops too.
[/quote]

Yep!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1343587214' post='1752427']
If you think you're losing treble due to cable capacitance it's easier/cheaper to just use a shorter cable than a higher-quality cable. I bet any £5 10ft cable sounds better than any £80 20ft cable given a passive bass as an input signal.
[/quote]

Yup!!!!!

A cable coming out of an instrument, particularly a passive one, or a mic, is probably the one place it matters most, especially the quality of the screening and the soldered joints.

Edited by Kesh

I use either a Pete Cornish guitar cable (I also have his speaker cables) or those made by ClearTone (same spec as OBBM it would seem). I got the Pete Cornish first and it immediately improved the balance of the sound. The ClearTones do the same job.

The Pete Cornish speaker cables are incredible things and would survive a direct hit from a nuclear device I would reckon.

Purely structural concerns for me. The only cables I've had go bad on me are Planet Waves (one went microphonic, one broke in the sealed jack socket - just chuck 'em in the bin).

I still have the first cable I ever bought - a Proel one with Neutrik ends. Apart from that one, it's Rock-Wire/Bassic-Bits/obbm for me all the way nowadays. They are not expensive in the grand scheme of things, but they seem to be strong and of good quality. One cable sounding better than another? Can't say I've ever heard that phenomenon in action. Copper and solder are pretty damn conductive no matter what "oxygen free" wrapping it's encased in. My opinion is that some of the promises made by "expensive" cables are highly subjective and light on actual demonstrable results and as such I refused to be sooked in.

I've always been a bit puzzled by the myth of outrageously expensive cables.

Yes, you do need strong, robust cables with good connectors on them. Unfortunately you can't always tell from just looking at a cable so it's wise to go for reputable brand names already mentioned here (Neutrik, Switchcraft, Van Damme etc). Something reliable that won't let you down.

But beyond that some people talk of a slight attenuation or loss of brightness from some cables. Well isn't that why we have tone controls on the amplifiers ? If it sounds a little less bright then just turn up the treble a little ? Am I missing something ?

In my experience I've heard my sound change from one venue to another. Sometimes it's great, other times it seems a little muffled, or too bright whilst always using the same equipment. In which case you simply adjust the EQ on the amp to suit.

[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1343658012' post='1753210']But beyond that some people talk of a slight attenuation or loss of brightness from some cables. Well isn't that why we have tone controls on the amplifiers ? If it sounds a little less bright then just turn up the treble a little ? Am I missing something ?[/quote]That works up to a point. The problem is that if you have to turn up the treble to compensate for highs lost in the cable, then you'll also boost any high frequency noise that's present. But in any case, if you hear a noticeable drop in highs, the cable is probably poor quality, too long or faulty.

I bought a Fender curly cable and when I finally got to use it (the first one was broken so I got a replacement). I was amazed at how muddy the sound was and have never used it again. I got a couple made up which have high quality components but there's not much difference between them and your average planet waves cables sound wise (although the components are of higher quality and should last longer hopefully).

So long as everything is electrically and mechanically reliable and the construction is sufficiently robust to withstand gigging use, I can't see the point of spending lots on cables.

If you're soldering skills are up to it and you have access to quality components at bulk prices then make your own. Otherwise your best off getting them from OBBM. Even if you have an endorsement deal with a cable manufacturer they need to be giving you a hefty discount for them to be better value.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1343662789' post='1753316']
In need of some good cables myself too. How do I contact OBBM? Tried to do a members search but didn'y have any luck.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]

I have a Planet Waves 'Oxygen Free Copper' 10' that's started failing (noise, cutting out). Found the failure is at one end. Loop under amp handle... OK for now. Need good cables!

I have an ashton 20'.... fairly heavy shielding (judging by weight and sound) and good, steel, shrink wrapped ends. The Planet Waves is the entry level one with moulded ends. Lame.

I Think I'll be checking out the above link, get a few good ones...

I find as long as you have decent quality cable & jack plugs then there's little point in spending more than £30 for a well made lead.
When your band is playing, do you think anyone in the audience is gonna notice the tone difference between a £20 & a £120 lead?

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] it's the current issue (Sept 2012)" [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Jebus, it's only July.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I agree with what has been said here, you need decent quality but there are no benefits to going over the top, OBBM's do me nicely.[/font][/color]

I'm a recent OBBM convert: I needed something sturdy for upcoming gigs and my then current cable set's reliability was getting (ahem) patchy.

The Bassic Bits (now also known as Rock Wire) cables are bombproof and, importantly for me, you can choose cable length and connector type at order time. Turnaround time is super-quick as well.

Edited by toneknob