Why become a member? ×

Threatening !

wombatboter

Like all these virtual instruments, the makers seem to have forgotten that it's more than just the sounds, it's about how you play them. As someone who also plays guitar and keyboards, simply choosing a different instrument changes what I'm going to play. The great thing about taking a part that you've written on one instrument and playing it on another, isn't that you aim to completely replicate the sound and feel but you take it in a direction that neither instrument on its own would naturally do.

Similarly, there still seem to be a lot of drummers around, performing on stage and working in studios, even though high quality drum/percussion software has been out there for some considerable time.

That said, I'll happily buy this bass software if it allows me to make a better product in my home studio, although unless I decide I want ever gig to look like a Kraftwerk concert I'd still be taking to stage carrying a guitar or bass.

not threatening at all imho - it will only sound as good as the musicianship of the keyboard player using it

if youre demo-ing a new product like this you seriously wouldnt pick just 'any average' keyboard player - it is a very smart choice using george duke he has always been way above most players in his ability to write bass synth lines that transcend sounding as if they come from a keyboard

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1343117501' post='1745318']
not threatening at all imho - it will only sound as good as the musicianship of the keyboard player using it
[/quote]

There's your way out lads - we've all played with keys players; we know your typical keys player is a feckless dandy. We'll be fine, our jobs are safe for another day :lol:

Sounds amazing, I think it will be a great tool for smaller studios and musicians/composers, who want a great bass sound without having to bring in a bass player. A very close friend of mine is a composer/jingle writer/arranger and I imagine this would be of great interest to him.

He is a good bass player but not capable of getting some of the slap sounds and never really hires musicians because of the margins he makes on work, so this would be ideal. It would probably leave him with a cleaner tighter sounding product and enable him to work faster because getting a decent bass sound recorded is not easy and can take a long time.

A lot of the music made in the world gets produced by guys who write and programme it, I'm thinking pop, tv soundtracks etc here, and often there is little 'real' instruments involved.
If these guys and gigs have access to good bass sounds- and the sound of an electric bass becomes more prominent in our cultural musical ideas... surely thats a good thing?
I mean at present it's probably instead of synth bass

Edited by LukeFRC

It sounded great until they played it as a song, then it didn't sound like a bass, it sounded like someone playing very good bass sounds. As has been said before, you don't play a keyboard like you play a bass. No doubt it'll be another useful addition to the studio's armoury, and will get used a lot behind the scenes. The first time I came across this phenomenon was back in the 80s, when a synth (DX7? I forget) came out with a really, really good sax sound. That sounded great for twiddling, but again, the actual playing dynamics were completely different from sax to keyboard.

Not threatened at all, they'll never make one that sounds like me. For all the wrong reasons. :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343117993' post='1745329']
There's your way out lads - we've all played with keys players; we know your typical keys player is a feckless dandy. We'll be fine, our jobs are safe for another day :lol:
[/quote]
but then again that might be a bad thing cos we all know how keyboardies just love to copy and double our bass lines and muddy them up :crazy:

Edited by steve-bbb

The thing is though in order for it to sound like a bass guitar or Upright bass you need to think like a bassist. In the hands of a good keyboard player or programmer who is also a good arranger it will produce some great sounding bass parts. However most of these people already know bass players who can come in and play the parts with the right feel and sound far quicker. In the hands of everyone else it will produce bass parts that sound OK but don't really feel right.

I'm amazed that software can do that. Really impressive. I can only assume it's all synthesised or you'd need a mountain of samples and a mountain of RAM. Credit to them they've done an awesome job.

Edit: Actually just went looking and it turns out there's 34Gb of samples involved. :blink:

Edited by thisnameistaken

my neighbour is a professional composer and uses things like realstrat and realguitar all the time.

they're amazing pieces of software, and yes, i'd imagine most of the 'real' instruments you hear on soundtracks are nothing of the sort.

make me wonder how many 'guitar' bands actually use this kind of thing instead of actually recording guitars.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1343125473' post='1745539']
I'm amazed that software can do that. Really impressive. I can only assume it's all synthesised or you'd need a mountain of samples and a mountain of RAM. Credit to them they've done an awesome job.

Edit: Actually just went looking and it turns out there's 34Gb of samples involved. :blink:
[/quote]

Actually that's going to be the limiting factor since it's limited by what has already been sampled. I'd have been far more impressed if this was an actual synthesiser which would give the opportunity for much more creativity and expression.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343086890' post='1745204']
Lot of energy in their live show, I imagine.
[/quote]

It's George Duke! He's one of the last guys you could accuse of lacking energy in his performances, especially during his keytar phase, or playing the plexiglass clavinet with a whammy bar in the 70s. Look up some of his old stuff on youtube...
I do wonder what this software will sound like when programmed by some mediocre producer, rather than when played by an accomplished musician who has worked with many of the great bassists. I suspect it won't be nearly as impressive.

It's another tool! It [b]will[/b] put musicians out of work...the question is: To what degree? Probably not to the degree that string players have suffered. As suggested, a large proportion of what we hear as strings/orchestras are, in fact, virtual instruments. Of course the main consideration here is cost. Imagine paying 50-100 musicians for a session. :blink:
Drummers too have suffered to a degree, there are producers who like total control and the options that the likes of Superior Drummer provides.
It's possible that Trilian will fall into this category.

As for, "It won't sound real", or "It's about how you play them", you may be right, but many producers, music makers etc couldn't give a toss if it sounds real. They will likely do something quirky with it that will be all the rage for a couple of years, and we will all be pulling our hair out about it. :unsure: