Why become a member? ×

Threatening !

wombatboter

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343129432' post='1745652']
It's another tool! It [b]will[/b] put musicians out of work...the question is: To what degree? Probably not to the degree that string players have suffered. As suggested, a large proportion of what we hear as strings/orchestras are, in fact, virtual instruments. Of course the main consideration here is cost. Imagine paying 50-100 musicians for a session. :blink:
Drummers too have suffered to a degree, there are producers who like total control and the options that the likes of Superior Drummer provides.
It's possible that Trilian will fall into this category.

As for, "It won't sound real", or "It's about how you play them", you may be right, but many producers, music makers etc couldn't give a toss if it sounds real. They will likely do something quirky with it that will be all the rage for a couple of years, and we will all be pulling our hair out about it. :unsure:
[/quote]

Followed by, "how the hell can I play this bassline on a bass, my singer wants us to cover it and we need to try and get this sound! What effects are there for this etc".

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343133184' post='1745758']
Followed by, "how the hell can I play this bassline on a bass, my singer wants us to cover it and we need to try and get this sound! What effects are there for this etc".
[/quote]

A similar situation to when Adrian Belew was hired to play Robert Fripp's guitar parts on the Bowie tour to promote Heroes. Apparently no-one bothered to tell him that what was on the final mix had been assembled by Eno from multiple takes often with Fripp playing completely different things in each take. Eno had made up something that he and Bowie found musically pleasing without any regard for how easy the final edit would be to play as a single part.

a lot of the guys on pop gigs are playing bass and also have a synth there to recreate synth bass parts anyway being able to play keys to a good level is becoming more and more essential anyway, however it is an awesome tool for smaller composers ect who dont have access to the kinds of funds to hire session musicians

Low budget high quality home studios for media composing is the norm these days.
Computer processing and huge amounts of RAM around these days for little outlay,
means the large Orchestral/Cinematic/Rock libraries are very easy to run.
200-400 Midi tracks is not unusual for a mock up before going to the scoring stage.
Producers/Directors are kept up to date note by note, bar by bar every step of the the scoring process.
Because the quality of the samples libraries around, they have a great idea how the finished product will sound.
"Trillion" from the OP has been around for quite a while, and used on a lot of TV stuff for Bass tracks.
It has many Bass Guitar and Synth Bass patches.
It's not unusual for a mock up cue [or some of it] to be used on the final Score.

Check out the demos from this company 8Dio.
All Virtual.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/8dawn/sets/hybrid-rhythms/"]http://soundcloud.com/8dawn/sets/hybrid-rhythms/[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1343141603' post='1745945']
Do they do a non-elevator music version?[/quote]

I'm glad [i]you [/i]posted that! :D I was just contemplating the vast, endless wasteland that is jazz/fusion. Eww! Eurgh! :shok:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343137901' post='1745883']
A similar situation to when Adrian Belew was hired to play Robert Fripp's guitar parts on the Bowie tour to promote Heroes. Apparently no-one bothered to tell him that what was on the final mix had been assembled by Eno from multiple takes often with Fripp playing completely different things in each take. Eno had made up something that he and Bowie found musically pleasing without any regard for how easy the final edit would be to play as a single part.
[/quote]
It obviously didn't cause Adrian too many problems though did it! :P

This is a threat, yes, but hear me out.

Our keyboard player has some excellent bass guitar sounds, yep, they sound great, very impressive.

Thing is, its only impressive because, if it was a bass guitarist, it would be. It isn't, its just another synth sound and so there is little skill in achieving that fab tone, just pressing a key. Once you get over it being a keyboard its back to sipping coffee.

You can hear ridiculously fast kickdrums in some drum tracks, but it is impressive? If its a drummer, yes, if its a programme, well who cares?

Also, the argument about it being only as good as the player is irrelevant. Bit like having a computer programme to paint like a classic artist, say Constable, its only as good as it's programmer. Thing is, the result is only impressive if its actually painted by Constable. The value of the output of the computer version is virtually nil, just a bit interesting for a short while.

The face of Stanley, Victor and the other names he dropped will be impassioned as they (should) know that if someone wants to hear bass guitar they won't want to pay to see someone playing or programming a keyboard.

Here's the threat, I'm sure plenty of pop studios will turn out product with something like this pretending to be a bass guitar as its cheaper than hiring a bass guitarist and recording an actual instrument and musician, just as they already do, especially with programmed drums so, yes there is a threat to jobbing bass players.

We're getting djs at festivals now after all, and listen to the robotic vocals on Radio 1, the direction is still to plasticise music despite the move to classic equipment.

There will be room for both. Bass players will be squeezing up to make room, just as they have been, along with drummers, brass players and string players for a long time now.

Edited by 4 Strings

I don't really care much if I'm listening to a real bass player or a keyboard player using samples - the bottom line is, do I like the music that is being played? Is it any good? If it is, and I'm into it... then it's valid. IMHO.

Having said that, it's horses for courses... I prefer to hear a 'real' rock band... but if I'm listening to House or Techno, then obviously it's a different very kettle of fish.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1343117501' post='1745318']
not threatening at all imho - it will only sound as good as the musicianship of the keyboard player using it

if youre demo-ing a new product like this you seriously wouldnt pick just 'any average' keyboard player - it is a very smart choice using george duke he has always been way above most players in his ability to write bass synth lines that transcend sounding as if they come from a keyboard
[/quote]
+1 George Duke is a seriously great player

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1343151935' post='1746221']
+1 George Duke is a seriously great player
[/quote]

i know he is my all time top fave muso - personal preference i place him above zappa even - seen him twice at ronnie scotts - was sat so close i could have played his foot pedals for him :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343145653' post='1746060']
At the end of the day it changes nothing.

Bass players have been in theory under fire since "I Feel Love" was recorded, but we're all still here playing and recording.
[/quote]

But in greatly reduced numbers. If every synth bass track was done by a bass guitar we'd all be laughing.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1343155885' post='1746310']
But in greatly reduced numbers. If every synth bass track was done by a bass guitar we'd all be laughing.
[/quote]

But I would guess that a minimum of half the tracks done with synth bass would sound pants with bass guitar instead. Could you imagine "I Feel Love", "Der Mussolini" or anything by Underworld from "The Hump" onwards done with bass guitar instead of synths?

Synth bass is not necessarily a replacement for the bass guitar just as the bass guitar is not really a replacement for the upright bass. They all have different strengths and weaknesses and should be used appropriately.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343159662' post='1746411']

Synth bass is not necessarily a replacement for the bass guitar just as the bass guitar is not really a replacement for the upright bass. They all have different strengths and weaknesses and should be used appropriately.
[/quote]

Yup, agree. We should all become Nate Watts and do both!