Why become a member? ×

Strange hearing defect?

The Bass Doc

Anyone else experience this?

At the beginning of a tune (whether I'm playing on a gig or just listening to a CD etc.) I sometimes 'hear' a completely different key for quite a few bars until it seems to settle into the true one. It's quite disconcerting when I'm playing because I know my fingers are in the right place but the key sounds wrong.

OR....is it the beer? :unsure:

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341255211' post='1715927']
I think im "bass deaf".. I can shake a pubs windows out and i still can't hear myself??
[/quote]

No-one can ever hear themselves in the band. You can always hear everyone else perfectly well, just not yourself.

I can't say I have ever had this problem, but then again I have always had fantastic pitch perception so there you go.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341255877' post='1715950']
:lol:

Being in a band with two guitarists has been known to cause this too!
[/quote]

Speaking of which, they also suffer from that defect that means they never hear these words combined in a certain order: "You, Down, Your, Turn, Must, Amplifier, ForTheLoveOfAllThatIsSacredIEMyHearing."

Baffling!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1341387509' post='1717963']
If you have different degrees of hearing loss in each ear, this can be the result. Known as diplacusis, which as said, tends to sort itself after a few seconds. When it doesn't, problems!
[/quote]

Explains everything. Thanks :)

Yep, I suffer from this too, usually when gigging. For me it depends on the volume of the music, if we are in a small venue and its all a bit loud, then everything sounds off, this is very un-nerving as I know I'm playing in the right key, but vocals and guitar sound off. Its something I am getting used too the more gigs we do. When we practice in the rehearsal room, I do not have this problem, I think this is due to the volume levels being much lower. When I bring this up with the rest of the band, they don't have the same problem and don't think we should turn down. I have recently started to use ear plugs to see if it helps, it does to a certain degree but wearing ear plugs does take some getting used to ( I feel isolated from the rest of the band and the audience). My hearing is starting to deteriorate and just put it down to this.

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1341397345' post='1718186']
Yep, I suffer from this too, usually when gigging. For me it depends on the volume of the music, if we are in a small venue and its all a bit loud, then everything sounds off, this is very un-nerving as I know I'm playing in the right key, but vocals and guitar sound off. Its something I am getting used too the more gigs we do. When we practice in the rehearsal room, I do not have this problem, I think this is due to the volume levels being much lower. When I bring this up with the rest of the band, they don't have the same problem and don't think we should turn down. I have recently started to use ear plugs to see if it helps, it does to a certain degree but wearing ear plugs does take some getting used to ( I feel isolated from the rest of the band and the audience). My hearing is starting to deteriorate and just put it down to this.

Jas
[/quote]

E
[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1341397345' post='1718186']

Jas
[/quote]

Expensive but have a look into In Ear Monitoring. That way you can control your own volume and don't have the isolated effects of earplugs. I've experienced this once or twice (Not that i actually know what key i'm playing in) but not often.

Liam

If you get feelings of dizziness, esp when you shift your head quick quickly, then it could be labyrinthitis. Very dealable with (my wife had it) and it creates strange auditory effects that can sound like different pitches or even 'chirruppy' squonks (for want of a better word).

Cairo

No is the answer to your question. But when I hear that something is out of tune I always assume it's me - even though I know that it's much more likely to be the guitar or vocals. I must be paranoid.

Although I've gone through half a song playing in the wrong key giving dirty looks to everybody else until I realise it's me that's got it wrong. :sorry: