Why become a member? ×

Cack handed bass player at Buck House

4 Strings

What surprised me (although I don't know why) is that there is an It Bites forum. My friend is on it and knew a lot if people at the gig from their forum names (shakes head) and they argue about Francis Dunnery vs The New Guy.

Laughable, you'd never get bassplayers doing that sort of thing. Oh wait.....

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338924901' post='1681249']

What was that extra guy doing singing in Madness - terrible. Maybe Suggs does not sing with them usually and the regular guy thought he should be included? I didn't like it.
[/quote]
I didn't see it but was it not Chas Smash? He usually sings one or two songs (if you've heard One Step Beyond you have heard him before) and has been with them since their early days.

Lee Pomeroy >>>> Nathan King >>>>> It Bites >>>>>> John Mitchell >>>> my bud Craig Blundell >>>>>> Frost* ;0)

Yep, really like It Bites and love Frost* too. I am a prog' bass player at heart, though I love my 'tech' stuff too. I'm a sucker for a great melody mainly!

Both Lee and Nat are great bass players and I think can both do 'the pocket' thing really well, but the thing with prog and tech is nailing the more dextrous passages, which they do well. Not with a million notes I mean, but being able to be bang on in terms of time keeping. Otherwise it sounds messy and..well.. A bit pants. No one likes messy pants.

Definitely, but I think there is enough going on in those tracks without having to add 'tasteful licks'.

Thinking more about the jubilee concert, it would gave been a sound engineer and monitoring engineer's worst nightmare. Artist after artist doing one tune, just get the mix right halfway through the song then it's on to the next.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338978003' post='1681801']
Definitely, but I think there is enough going on in those tracks without having to add 'tasteful licks'.

Thinking more about the jubilee concert, it would gave been a sound engineer and monitoring engineer's worst nightmare. Artist after artist doing one tune, just get the mix right halfway through the song then it's on to the next.
[/quote]

not being sound techie but how much of this can be preset and figured out with sound checkcs and dress rehearsals and such?

the only thing that did stick out very noticeable for me was on several occasions it seemed like some production luvvie had probably leaned against the mixing desk and accidentally knocked the bass drum slider all the way up to eleven! :o

I know Lee from years back, when he worked in Rockbottom in Croydon and played in a band called Moondigger (who actually sounded a lot like It Bites). He was stupidly talented even back then, 20-odd years back, and, as for his little bit of slapping with Grace Jones, this is a man who I've seen play Mr. Pink at double speed, left handed and upside down - it's something to behold. :) I'm glad he's gone on and done well - he deserves it. Local boy made good and all that.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1338994984' post='1682125']
I know Lee from years back, when he worked in Rockbottom in Croydon and played in a band called Moondigger (who actually sounded a lot like It Bites). He was stupidly talented even back then, 20-odd years back, and, as for his little bit of slapping with Grace Jones, this is a man who I've seen play Mr. Pink at double speed, left handed and upside down - it's something to behold. :) I'm glad he's gone on and done well - he deserves it. Local boy made good and all that.
[/quote]

Yep, that's when I met him. He sold my brother a bright pink Jackson and had a go on a 62 P bass re-issue I'd bought in soho. He was an incredible player then. We then bumped into each at a battle of the bands thing in Folkestone. It was so badly organised that me and my band just went home!!

Here's a video from Rick Wakeman's British Rock Ensemble, showing Lee doing his slappy thing (on a GB bass, no less) - there's a good close-up of him slappin' it good around the 1:50 mark:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLMIQQUino[/media]

^^^^That looks weird. Didn't actually see him doing the slap thing during Grace Jones' number, but it sounded ok to me.

I have to agree about Annie Lennox, I was looking forward to seeing her as she is normally a safe bet for a good performance, but not this time :(

Speaking of Tom Jones, the rather scruffy guitarist standing to his right was the immensely talented Jamie Moses. I saw him a few weeks ago in a tongue in cheek Tex-Mex band called Los Pacaminos, that also features Paul Young, playing at Hullbridge Sports Club. Hullbridge to Buck House is a bit of a swing! :D

Have to say the arrangement and performance of Delilah was the song of the night for me. I fast forwarded most of the evening. Tom Jones simply blew everyone else out of the water - the power and control of his voice even nowdays is awe inspiring.

Lee's a good mate and - yes - silly good and an amazing singer to boot.
When he slaps he finger taps the thumb slaps (like Entwistle) and pops with his thumb. Got to be seen to be believed.
His pick playing is the best I've EVER witnessed.
Milton McDonald on guitar, Donovan on drums, Mike Stevens MD.
Angela Brooks (from my band) on BVs with Mel Lewis and Michelle John and a fella I didn't know.
Grace Jones was my highlight!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1340600328' post='1706726']
Watched a bit of Lee's set with Steve Hackett at the IoW festival on telly last night.

Typically mad Hackett. Dunno who's idea it was to book him - the field looked pretty sparsely populated...!
[/quote]

A lot of people who went to the festival left early Sunday due to weather - our local news covers the island, and because the weather's been so bad over there, a lot of vehicles got trapped in the mud. The police had to recruit extra help in getting people out.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338899156' post='1680750']
. What Stevie Wonder and Will-I-Am were doing sing the Martin Luther King inspired Happy Birthday, I have no idea. I thought everything else was pretty good though.
[/quote]

Apparently they were told it was the Queens official birthday as well, but this is marked by the trooping the colour which was on 16th June. I did hear a report on radio 2 confirming this, but it seems a bit odd.

I think one of the other artists (maybe Grace Jones, can't remember) said something like 'Happy birthday your majesty' at the end of their set which at the time I put down to being a clueless American. Then when I saw the Stevie Wonder thing I thought maybe someone had incorrectly got the word round in advance that it was maj's birthday or there had been some failure in communication somewhere.