Why become a member? ×

Are there any stock Fender P-basses with a Jazz neck?

fretmeister

Frank Bello Bass = P-neck + J-body + P/J pickups, best of everything :D :yarr:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Fender%20Frank%20Bello%20Signature%20Bass/22082011861.jpg[/IMG]

There's a few to choose from.
in the 80's fender japan made the p bass special as mentioned above. witch is what Duff Mckagan played with Guns n Roses
he's also used the aerodyne jazz bass, same p'up configuration.
Fender now make the Duff signature p bass in Mexico.
also theres the aerodyne p bass.
All have jazz necks
hope this helps and good luck finding your bass. :)

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1338648213' post='1677643']
My 90s MiM Deluxe Series P Bass Special has a Jazz neck.

The slightly earlier US made California Series (same parts, different factory) also has a Jazz neck, being made from the same parts ;)
[/quote]
+1 for the Deluxe P bass but, if its like mine its active so migfht diverge from the P bass sound the OP was after.
Sounds damn good to me though

Jazz neck is thinner (across the fret-board), so can be a bit quicker to get around.

Jazz at the nut is 38.1mm, Precision at the nut is 41.3mm. There are variations, but these measurements are from the Standard US models.

[quote name='keeptrying' timestamp='1338647155' post='1677616']
There's a few to choose from.
in the 80's fender japan made the p bass special as mentioned above. witch is what Duff Mckagan played with Guns n Roses
[/quote]

Interestingly, they called it the Fender Jazz Bass Special, which i thought was odd, as it was only the neck and bridge pickup that gave you any hint to a jazz bass pedigree. The active version, that i own was know as the Power Jazz Bass Special. It includes a switchable 'notch filter' type EQ as well as the passive TBX system for some great sounds. As you say though, definitely a jazz neck. Rumoured to be modelled on a '62 jazz, but i cant confirm that.

Also, my CIJ 'US 70's reissue' P bass has an 'A' neck on it. Side by side to my jazz, it is incredibly similar and does not feel like a precision neck. The nut i believe is, if not exactly the same, any the odd millimetre different. These non-export P basses are also very very good and for the money, even if you had to pay 700 , itd still be a good price.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1338722089' post='1678378']
Jazz neck is thinner (across the fret-board), so can be a bit quicker to get around.

Jazz at the nut is 38.1mm, Precision at the nut is 41.3mm. There are variations, but these measurements are from the Standard US models.
[/quote]

PLUS Vintage P width @ 44.5mm (1.75")

This has been a bit of a Holy Grail search for me, too. I like the P-Bass sound but can't get on with wider necks.

I have the Power Jazz Bass Special (a rather splendid thing in 'Duff Mckagan white with black bits' livery). Ticks a few of the OPs boxes but not all - it has a slim and shallow neck, P-shaped body but that is where its resemblence to a P-bass ends IMO. Active, P/J pups. It sounds absolutely brilliant - very much its own thing and very much a rock bass - but I haven't managed to find a traditional P-Bass sound even used passively and with the P-pup on its own. I believe the Duff Mckagan sig model has a P-profile neck, rather than the Jazz profile?

Similarly my Precision Lyte has a P-shaped body (smaller, though) and a skinny, shallow neck (one of the best necks I have had) but, again, active and with P/J pups - doesn't sound like a P-Bass. I have a J. East preamp in it and can almost get there, but not quite.

Of the basses I have owned/still own the ones that sound most like the traditional P-Bass that have skinnier necks have been my old Westone Thunder 1A and, bizarrely, my Hohner B-Bass and identically sounding Hohner B2A. All have that woody P-bass tone by the bucket load.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1338984843' post='1681934']
This has been a bit of a Holy Grail search for me, too. I like the P-Bass sound but can't get on with wider necks..
[/quote]
I beat the quest by building Warmoth using Alder body with Fender Original pup.

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1338652006' post='1677686']
+1 for the Deluxe P bass but, if its like mine its active so migfht diverge from the P bass sound the OP was after.
Sounds damn good to me though
[/quote]

Not all the MiMs are active, though most are, mine's not. I don't think the California Series are active. The one's I've seen haven't been.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1338975123' post='1681741']

Interestingly, they called it the Fender Jazz Bass Special, which i thought was odd, as it was only the neck and bridge pickup that gave you any hint to a jazz bass pedigree.[/quote]

This "strange" Jazz Bass Special (written on the headstock) was my first fretless bass : definitively a PB look (body shape and pickup) but named JB ???
Only due to neck dimension and bridge PU added ?
If you take time to think about it, it can be logical : the JB's personality comes from THIS bridge PU added to neck one, AND the thin neck. So one day i understood its name. Am i wrong ?

Whatever the name, it gives you large possibilities and fine ergonomy. Chuck Dunn can't be wrong.

Mine was passive and TOTAL BLACK (hardware, body, neck headstock). I loved it
These basses are well designed and built but cheap.

Let's hunt and take care of them... :D

Edited by Emanew