Why become a member? ×

What Bass do you swear buy? Any thoughts on Sandberg?

bassickman

Ive been through a fair few basses. Alfonso Ituura custom 5, Fender Deluxe series, Fender 75Ri,Charvel, Warwick $$, Fender USA Jazz, Stingray, Shuker Custom4, Shuker Super Jazz. The two basses i have kept are a Japanese made Squier from 82, and a Sandberg Californian RW VM4. Both excellent basses. Best bass ive ever played however is a Sei custom5. Fantastic bass, nothing ive ever played has come near it.But thats from another price range!!

My last 4 basses have been a Mike Lull PJ5, Lakland 55-94, Wal mk3 and Stingray 5. These cover the last 20 years and they're all 5 string basses.

The list of fantastic basses is as long as your arm. Which one depends on you and your budget but I'd recommend you make the jump to 5 string basses.

If you like the feel of Fenders you will love Sandberg as they are similar but with much better 'tronics. The ones I've played haven't quite lived up to the hype though... in fact one I played felt like it could have been a Squier or something equally as anaemic.
Stingray's are fantastic, as are G&Ls (including Tributes) I have both (my G&L is vintage) but all I play now are homebuilt basses. My current main squeeze is my own take on a G&L.

Thoughts on Sanberg...? You can find decent ones for sure. They seem reasonable value for money but they haven't got Fender on the
neck. Does this matter...err...?? would your market know one way or another...?

Do you want a good bass or a bass that people will think is cool..?

Seriously though:

Favourite brand: Gibson
Favourite model: dunno, my three (currently) are very different and I love playing each of them.

Why? Because contrary to what some might say, they really are tremendous basses. I love the sound, I love the looks, I love the chunky necks and if I'm perfectly honest then despite my potty-mouthed advocacy of Gibson basses I paradoxically love the fact that relatively few people play them. Me vs. the world and all that. But I'd still play them in a parallel universe where they were the most popular basses in the world because ultimately, to me, they're fantastic.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1338372594' post='1673357']
I swear by Fenders me, as far as I'm concerned they're the only basses worth considering, all others are failed derivatives of the original blueprint.
[/quote]

And you drive one of these:-

And live in one of these:-

How did you ever even get on this forum?

:D

I saw the first half of the thread title in the 'latest posts' bit and Sandberg was my first thought. Versatile, well built, great to play and look at, wouldn't be without mine.

Would never part with my Stingray either but I don't find it as versatile as the Sandberg is.

Dingwall, a major improvement on the basic design, my go-to bass... oh, and my Fenderbird and FrankenP, because they're pretty much unique, and I built them. And my early Warwick Fortress has the best neck I've ever played.

That's it for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind, :D although in the case of the Dingwall, I seriously doubt it... :gas: