Why become a member? ×

Solid State winners?

Musicman20

Hi all

Ive had a bit of a rethink recently and sold off a few bits. I have a lot of amp gear that tends to be more 'warm/tube/vintage'.

Don't get me wrong, I like it.

BUT, I fancy a bit of variety.

What I'd like is a totally clean, solid state, fairly powerful (500W ish) clear and bright amp. Obviously the cab makes a difference as well, so any cabs that would suit the suggested amp that are fairly light. I'm thinking either a 2x10, 1x12 or 2x12 maximum.

I am also considering combos, eg the Markbass combos.

My current amps have all the bells and whistle, which are nice (eg aux in, headphones in, etc) but as long as it has a nice eq section, and a decent DI with pre/post and possibly level control, I'm happy. I can use the others for silent rehearsal at home, etc.

Any ideas? Something that is a totally opposite tone to say my Orange/Streamliner?

Eg, very quick response, a little more of a modern treble/high mid content.

I was thinking GK, but as they are switching to USA production again, I'd rather rule them out until we start seeing the USA units over here.

Cheers

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1334081360' post='1610700']
Im very biased to the Aguilar AG500 SC, awesome clean smooth sound. Big by todays standards I suppose but still a favourite of mine. Im in North Shields if you want to come over and try it out.

Dan
[/quote]
+1

Markbass F1 or F500 - ultra clean heads the pair of them

Tecamp Puma is also in that area, though KJung on BassChat suggests they are more scooped/wider than the MB heads

Pair either up with a Bergantino ae series cab (212 or 410 would be best) for one of the top ultra clean rigs.

Or a BareFaced Super Twelve T, equally good, would really go with the Tecamp gear I imagine....

The EBS HD 350 (which has now been updated to the HD 360 I hear) + Proline/Neoline cabs and the Drome/Gorm stuff is very sparkly in the highs. Anything by Gallien Krueger or Aguilar is going to be good as well. Glockenklang could be worth a look if you are willing to make a big investment. Markbass is probably the best shout in terms of portability, although if I'm right in thinking you have an RH450, do you really need another lightweight portable bass head? Can it not do nice clean sounds if you dial back the 'tubetone'/spectracomp etc?

Other than that you could decide to go 'old school' solid state and pick up an old Eden, Trace Elliot or SWR Redhead secondhand. Loud, reliable, very clean sounding and potentially cheaper, although decidedly lacking in lightweight gear street cred!

• 3 weeks later...

Big fan of GK here.
I believe they switched to US made few months ago so you could probably check this out with the dealer.
I've got 700RB-II as my main amp and MB200 as a back up/practice amp with 112Neo cab( soon adding second) and couldn't be happier.

Single GK 112 Neo is 14kg 700RB-II is about 10 but you could always forget the bi amp option which comes with it and go for MB500/MB800/MBFusion which is something like 2kg..
That's an ultra light and great sounding rig.

I am a new member on basschat.co.uk but been following www.talkbass.com for a long time, GK stuff (specially Neo 112) get a lot of love there, it's worth checking.

Edited by Junglerog