Why become a member? ×

so how did it all begin?

steve-bbb

I was playing guitar for the band I was in at the time and our bass player fell out with us two days before a gig and I jumped on the bass to cover. The singer was a pretty tidy guitar player, so he covered that for the gig. We did ok, but I was foolish enough to think that the bass would be easier to play. I didn't touch a bass again for about 2yrs. I really don't know why I eventually made the switch to be honest. I think it was out of boredom from playing guitar and not getting very far with it. As soon as I started to play bass I found myself to be in more demand with bands...it's nice to feel wanted!

Played guitar in a punk performance band in Berlin. Chatted up a girl with big tits to do the bass part. Got up at her place went and bought a bass for her to use. Was a cool project. She moved back to Swizerland for rehab. Everyone eventually left, but the bass. This was later smashed by some arab kids in a squat in Paris, re-assembled, and sold in London. I miss it, it was a great bass.

I did a service and repairs on a friends car just before he was taking it on holiday (around about £350 worth of work IIRC), he asked if he could pay me at the end of the month as he was skint - as he was a mate I said yeah, no problem. Fast forward 12 months and lots of me asking for the money (he was always skint apparently), I decided to pay him a visit to "collect my debt" - he was still skint so I said I'd take goods to the value of....he pleaded not to take the TV & Video and offered me a Black Vox, some leads and a Peavey TNT150!

I said he could have it back when he paid me my money - the bass spent another 12 months in it's case under the bed! Never got my money from him (not sure where he is now?).

I then decided to have a bash at learning to play it and haven't looked back since. :)

Not sure how to answer this. There have been instruments before bass but gaps in between them, so not sure if migration is the right term. Recorder at primary school, a guitar that I quickly realised I couldn't play then ornamental bass followed by finally getting off my lazy backside and playing bass.

I think I'll just vote other.

Piano for several years (was sh*t at it, but the theory was valuable) then just melted when I saw a P-bass on an album cover and that was it. Played bassfrom then on and drifted onto guitar years later. HAd a brief fling with a bouzouki (oo-err, missus!) but mainly bass.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1334046853' post='1609921']
Played guitar in a punk performance band in Berlin. Chatted up a girl with big tits to do the bass part. Got up at her place went and bought a bass for her to use. Was a cool project. She moved back to Swizerland for rehab. Everyone eventually left, but the bass. This was later smashed by some arab kids in a squat in Paris, re-assembled, and sold in London. I miss it, it was a great bass.
[/quote]
sounds like a potential film score ;)

Drums as my Dad was an ex pro drummer so at the tender age of 8 I figured I'd be a natural. Unfortunately I was rubbish so left it a few years and picked up on bass in my teens. I now play a bit of mandolin, fair guitar and can blag it on a couple of other instruments (lap steel, banjo & harmonica) to varying degrees. Bass is home though :)

tried guitar a few times couldn't make sense of it. Then at a music practice my friends were having the bas player had got fed up with the singer, lent me his 6 string peavey and walked out... the rest is history!

[/quote] that is the best story ever! :) what was the bass?

I didn't like pop music at all - thought they were all a bunch of lightweight pretty boys - then I saw Slade on the telly - loud , ugly , dressed stupid - and thouht 'that'll do me' !

I set out to be an entertainer - I chose bass because I didn't know any other bass players and thought I could carve my own niche , but I really just wanted something to do with my hands while I was singing.

[/quote]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334049636' post='1609966']
tried guitar a few times couldn't make sense of it. Then at a music practice my friends were having the bas player had got fed up with the singer, lent me his 6 string peavey and walked out... the rest is history!

that is the best story ever! :) what was the bass?
[/quote]
[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1334049454' post='1609961']
sounds like a potential film score ;)
[/quote]

youve got to elaborate a bit more now - you cant leave us all in suspenders :D

Edited by steve-bbb

Started on an acoustic guitar that my parents had bought from a catalogue. Standard 60/70s fare - crap tone, action you could drive a double decker bus under. However I can always remember being interested in playing bass an keyboards as well. Once I got my own acoustic guitar I modified the nut and bridge of the catalogue acoustic to take a set of bass strings. In my first band everyone played everything although a lot of the songs didn't have any bass guitar and on those that did, the bass was supplied by one borrowed from a class mate. Didn't buy my own bass until 1981. I've always found it useful to be able to play more than just the bass. Twice I've joined bands as the bassist only to end up playing either guitar or synth.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334044033' post='1609876']
Ho, ho. That's set me up for the day... :unsure: ;)
[/quote]
Truth is even worse.
First beat group with three guitars and I, like a fool, learned and played the bass lines to "Under The Boardwalk" and "Poison Ivy", ended up playing them on a Framus Black Rose jazzer at a school dance.
Been playing bass, guitar and slide badly and having fun ever since.
Oh Well!

Trombone - Piano - Bass.
Picked up Guitar along the way.
The Bone has only recently appeared from the case after about 20 years.
My seven year old son has started farting around with it,
although he thinks of it as some kind of futuristic weapon and will take out some ones eye soon with the slide.
[Not unlike me really]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Piano, violin, trumpet, trombone, euphonium. I realised from the last two that I quite enjoyed playing bass parts (but hated classical instruments!). Around the same time, a friend of mine gave me some metallica tapes, which was kind of my first introduction to metal. I bought a Squier P and the rest is history!

I see that us bass-and-nothing-but-bass lot still outnumber the multi-instrumentalists, at this moment in time in the poll.

I would love to be able to learn another instrument, but I feel I'm crap enough on bass already, and shouldn't spread my thin talent any further, and instead concentrate on improving as much as I can on the 5 strings.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1334005594' post='1609642']
I thought this was going to be a 'life, the universe and everything' kind of thread. What a gip! :facepalm: Still voted though. :)
[/quote]

Haha I thought the same! Then I noticed we're in General Discussion, not Off Topic, and put my philosophy books back on to the shelf and closed my Quotes On Life bookmark lists :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334049636' post='1609966']

that is the best story ever! :) what was the bass?
[/quote]

A Yamaha RBX 375 - they trashed the body, and my friends found another body from a Yamaha RBX 275 without neck (probably similar story) - which I sanded down, fitted it, replaced all the hardware, which made it a phantastic bass. I played it with Rex Nemo, and in the A-Band, on Supernormal festival 2010 in the UK. I needed the cash when I moved back from London to Berlin, and the man who bought it for 175 got a real bargain given the shaller bridge etc.