Why become a member? ×

Which bassline inspired you to pick up the bass?

skej21

'Parallels' - Yes - first became aware of the bass listening to this...

I remember thinking that something really interesting was going on down there... then again for every Yes track I heard. Took me a while to find anything else that really interested me. All other bass parts seemed so dull in comparison...

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1330632299' post='1560826']
I knew the answer to this question without thinking about it. It was this one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0m0Gcblp0[/media]
[/quote]
Mine was 'Closer to the heart' from the same album. You sir, have impeccable taste in music.

Back on topic how about 'Under pressure' you could just loop the first two notes - after all, what could go wrong when you make a loop from a Queen track? ;)

My favourite song when I was a tiny nipper was House of Fun. What a bass line!

Also listened to The Jam a lot when I was under 10, and Specials, and all that stuff. There's some great bass parts in there that are easy to play, if a bit difficult to memorise maybe for absolute beginners.

The first bass line I taught myself was 'Stand By Me'. The second was Pink Floyd's 'Money' but I picked that because it sounded hard.

There's always 'Fever'. Anyone can play Fever.

The first time Jamiroquai played on TOTP I thought to myself "Hey, that dude playing the ugly bass is pretty good. Oh...so that's what a bass line is? Cool! I want to be a bass player!". I think the song was Too Young To Die and Zender was playing a Warwick Thumb (not a Streamer). I thought he was so damn cool! My mate let me use one of his basses and a battered Carlsbro combo to learn on for a few months (mostly Jamiroquai songs) and I have never looked back.

Was probably Hooky that turned me on to the possibilities of bass back in about 1980-ish - Joy Division's bass lines (notably Disorder, Transmission, She's Lost Control, and Decades) and New Order's Ceremony converted me from a guitar player

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1330621679' post='1560596']
Unfortunately, I know a guy who still can't play it in time and he's been playing for 10 years... He also plays the intro to 'White Room' in 4/4. It's like he's stuck in it!

[/quote]

Sounds like he needs to get a new hobby...

Influential moments i recall were Smoke on the Water live in Japan, when i heard that bass come in i said, "thats what i want to do". Another one bites the dust and Foghats, My Babe followed by Slow ride (album version with solo) and Fool for the City.

Oh and you might edit the title to say ".... so i was born in 19....." :o

Edited by jjay69