Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use

paulypbass

Rotosound swingbass but thats cos the two decent shops round here dont have a particularly wide selection of bass strings

although my next set will mostlikely be interweb mailorder and go for D'addario XLs - nevertried a bass set but the feedback on here looks like its definitely recommending them plus used play nothing but daddarios on my g***ars before coming over from the dark side

DR Hi Beams 45 - 105 on fretted basses. These have a long life. Got some flatwounds on the fretless.

Do you guys like new strings? I hate 'em. All that brightness is so un-bass. Usually takes a couple of weeks before they are worn it to anywhere near acceptable. I like the DRs cos they maintain a consistency of tone over time. Longer than other brands that i have tried.

Ernie Ball Slinkies - the lightest gauge. D'Addarios are ok too if that's all there is. DRs are nice but a bit pricey (I've never found that expensive strings last longer than cheaper ones).

The only strings (that I have tried) that I can't stand are Rotosound. They appear to use the same wire you put in band-saws :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330426222' post='1557106']
Ernie Ball Slinkies - the lightest gauge. D'Addarios are ok too if that's all there is. DRs are nice but a bit pricey (I've never found that expensive strings last longer than cheaper ones).

The only strings (that I have tried) that I can't stand are Rotosound. They appear to use the same wire you put in band-saws :)
[/quote]

I thought same regarding Rotosound, then I tried their 'Rotos' - cheaper and better! (Also identical to Legacy
nickels at £7.95 a set.) Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1330427025' post='1557136']
I thought same regarding Rotosound, then I tried their 'Rotos' - cheaper and better! (Also identical to Legacy
nickels at £7.95 a set.) Give them a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

+1 i put a set of rotos on my squier J thinking they would go dull in a couple of weeks and give me a bit more mellow tone - they seem to have more bright life time than the swing bass 66 - well at least with my hands anyway and play both basses about equal amount of time

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1330390073' post='1556837']
i normally get ernie ball strings in that gauge. the only gay thing about nickel strings is they really dont last that long but i personally think they sound much nicer.
[/quote]

And they are kinder on the frets than stainless steel strings.
more info here..
[url="http://www.bass-strings.com/bass-string-guide"]http://www.bass-stri...ss-string-guide[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1330425582' post='1557092']
I love stainles steel strings...the brighter the better!
[/quote]
[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1330425979' post='1557101']Do you guys like new strings? I hate 'em. All that brightness is so un-bass.[/quote]

:D

Elixir nanowebs, they cost more but last ages, in fact the last time I changed a set, after about a year, I could hardly tell any difference, be careful when fitting them though, it's easy to damage the coating so they start shedding their 'skin' quickly, although it doesn't seem to alter the sound, just looks a mess

Picato flats on everything (reasonable price, decent quality) and the set of Overwater light guage nickel rounds that came with the CJ4. I have a replacement set ready so I must quite like them too!

Correction, the fretless RBX has D'Addario flats on.

Edited by ead

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using DR Black Beauties for a few years now. I've noticed since they 'improved' the coating they've been losing their zing much quicker and the G string is like a rubber band in a week or so.
Very disappointed. Particularly as they look great on a bass.
I got myself a couple of sets of D'Addario Pro Steels (for less than half the price of DRs) and I'm liking them a lot. Sound like brighter RS66s and still have top end after three weeks of hard playing.
I'll trade off the looks and smoothness for the improved sound.

Any other good stainless strings I should consider?