Why become a member? ×

Minimum post count for selling items

Gust0o

Evening all - I'm sure this has been suggested before, and I'm only thinking out loud... but what about a minimum post count before members can sell items?

I know there are arguments against this - such as people will just spam pointless posts - but we are seeing more people join the site simply to post Ebay links to their items for sale. I've always imagined the For Sale section being an additional piece of functionality for the community, not some more general or more mercenary service.

BCRichPlayers.com has a similar scheme, requiring a minimum of 50 posts - it's had good feedback to-date.

Thoughts? Am I just being a pedant? Does my bum look big on this?

been talked about a lot before.
I think the problem is that a lot of people do stick stuff up for sale and then stick around.
others just come on, and if they sell something to someone at a good price... I'm not too worried. I've sold to folk who popped up and bought a bass or amp off me and were never seen again. I was pretty careful with new folk, but all round everyone was happy.

I think it all comes down to your spidey senses? As we may get 'walk in' traffic from people coming to sell stuff who then stick around. It seems as though recently we have had quite an influx of non-UK users, who can be a wealth of information by tuning us in to local music and luthiers who we may not hear about otherwise.

Some new users I would have no issues buying from as they seem quite genuine, I would be less impressed with "hel0, pls by my base, i am selling for my father hu is out of the countryy a tthe minute...plzx wire your funds to me in Nigeria"

The Rick Resource forum* did this a couple of years ago. For those BC-ers who just can't wait for our thread to develop here's a link to their 15 page thread:

[url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=393488"]http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=393488[/url]

And the outcome:

[quote]EDIT BY GIL: please note that the ([i]minimum post[/i]) number is now 30 and not 100 as originally planned. A word of caution though: nonsense posts ([i]inc multiple +1's[/i]) will be removed; the idea behind this restriction is to let forumites get to know the new user better before any financial interaction; boosting your post count for the sake of boosting your post count will get your post deleted and a warning will be issued.[/quote]

[size=3]* The unofficial Rick Forum, not Mr Hall's official Rick site. Lovely chaps.[/size]

I think it's a good idea. I see it as something akin to a record shop which only allows its customers put up posters for gigs, not just any passing sh*tehawk looking to spam their goods in as many places as google finds for them. To get something back you must give something first.

You could also put ebay, gumtree and the likes into the swear filter, meaning any such links offsite in the FS forum don't work and, in doing so, are pointless.

You either encourage people to engage with the site and [i]community[/i] most of all or they leave it alone, but at least it doesn't get used as a dump.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1330070916' post='1552139']

You could also put ebay, gumtree and the likes into the swear filter, meaning any such links offsite in the FS forum don't work and, in doing so, are pointless.

[/quote]

But then that would kill the ebay links forum?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1330068759' post='1552121']
No good would come of this, there would just be more spam on the forum and less things for sale.
[/quote]

I doubt it, personally. I think it would simply put the opportunists off at the gate - and I don't think we've seen major problems on the other bass sites operating a similar policy. I don't think it would significantly impede the For Sale forum, which sees a lot of traffic from more regular posters, and hopefully inspire some more confidence in buyers - I'm with my namesake Gareth, in that I start to wonder when the first post is a For Sale item.

What it does do is ensure you've got some reasonably regular posters coming through. You'll still get the walk-through traffic, as people will come to sell their gear as they are now... and then they've got a choice to stay or not; you've got to hope, if they're choosing to stay and meet a modest post count requirement, that they're the ones we genuinely want, who are going to share their knowledge as well as their Ebay links.

You'll have to let us know if this debate is panning out in line with the Ric forum experience, Skank - I expect so :lol:

Edited by Gust0o

I agree with the sentiment but I think it's not quite so simple in practice.

I agree with the earlier comment about a post count of '1' in the for sale section setting off the warning bells. I'd probably not do a deal with a newbie unless it was face to face. Not entirely rational, I know, but there we are.

I remember joining Basschat back in 2010, purely to sell a bass. That was some 3000 posts ago (and what seems like 3000 sales/purchases). I can see why people may be wary of buying from a newbie, but as long as photos are good, comms don`t give you any warning-signs, and you use Paypal, it really is a case of using your own judgement as to whether you go ahead with the purchase.

Would be interesting to put up a poll - in fact I may do it later - on how many members joind with their first intention being selling an item.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330078457' post='1552274']
You'll have to let us know if this debate is panning out in line with the Ric forum experience, Skank - I expect so :lol:
[/quote]

Pretty much, except we've covered most of the key points and POV's in one page. They spent another 14 pages going round in circles. I hope we don't.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330079816' post='1552306']
...There's a forum especially for [i]Rickenbackers??[/i]
[/quote]

Yes, and very nice it is too. Like us, but less rowdy and less given to modifying their instruments.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1330518832' post='1558666']
how many members joind with their first intention being selling an item.
[/quote]

I did. :)

Personally, I'm not in favour of a post count. IMO, someone who joins just to trade will miss out on the badinage and useful info. But that's their choice and I'm not offended by it.

And one might argue there are long-term BC-er's who contribute materially to the community by quietly getting on with selling (or buying) choice bits of gear to the rest of us.

As for the security aspect, sure there have been some noob scammers. But there have equally been some longer-term members here who've strayed off the path either by design or neglect.

So post count isn't an infallible discriminator. Like many people here, I tend to shy away from buying from low-post count noobs (NOI), thus one might contend that an informal system is already in place.

Edited by skankdelvar

I was a member of the EBMM forum several years ago (mainly on the guitar side) and they introduced a minimum posts for selling rule. I think it was 25 which was felt to be high enough to discourage those who might try to nonsense post to get their post count up. It did cut down the number of items for sale (and thus lowered the choice and put asking prices up) as those who went on purely to sell gear were put off. I should note that I have no idea what their current rules are.

Personally I would always like to see a bass and meet the buyer before I part with cash. If this means a day or weekend trip to see another bit of the country that's fine and I always take distance (and possible cost of the trip) into account when I look at something. Amps and pedals I am happy to get delivered.

I was meant to have an opinion here wasn't I? Actually Lozz has pretty much said it - use your common sense.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1330531412' post='1558962']
Like many people here, I tend to shy away from buying from low-post count noobs, thus one might contend that an informal system is already in place.
[/quote]

Me too.... but then I have just sold a bass to a newbie and he turned out to be as honest as the day is long!! Just goes to show.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330509865' post='1558423']
No moderator comment?
[/quote]

My opinion on this matter is that if a minimum post count were required, someone may not bother sticking around to put their item up for sale and never visit the forum again. This for me is a negative aspect as it will mean no-one will get the opportunity to buy it whether they're regular or not. I'd rather everyone got a chance for a bargain and 1 in 25 people hang around to contribute in the long term than we forced people to post before selling.