Why become a member? ×

Minimum post count for selling items

Gust0o

I don't think there should be any restriction to sellers. I wasn't aware of this forum until last year when i was selling my '55 Precision, and someone told me to try on here, i then joined, [i]primarily[/i] to sell my bass (Which didnt happen....on here anyway), but having then posted, got some nice comments, and feedback, started looking round the site, and now I love it on here, I'm sure lots of others are the same. Why is that an issue?

Also, If someone is here purely to sell gear (And won't be staying around), and someone on here gets a nice deal, or a great bass, or an item they've been after for a while, then again, wheres the downside of that?

Can't see any problem at all personally.

I first thought this was a good idea, but reading arguments from the other-side, I've become inclined to agree with them. I'm always suspicious of items for sale from newbies with no posts or avatars, but with much in life it is 'buyer beware'. I was less aware of scammers operating in 'Items Wanted', a while back I posted for a TBird in there, and received a PM from a no-post-noob asking how much I was willing to spend? I thought this was odd, as it's kinda obvious the price range. I pinged him back asking what he had for sale, and heard nothing back, scammer? Who know's?
On the other-hand there was a recent thread posted by a no-post-noob for a brand-new TBird, which set my alarm bells ringing. I followed the thread, and asked a few loaded questions, and it turned out the seller was genuine, he seemed like a decent guy to-boot, and the Bird has no flown. Maybe this feller will stop around, maybe not, but it was a very nice bass at a very good price. I think a genuine sale-thread will develop with interaction from other members over time. Does it make a difference if someone has an avatar and a few notches on the clock?

Use your common, and once, twice, thrice, buyer (or seller) beware.

I have a general rule. I judge the way they type.

If i get a PM about an item with terrible English (eg Tlking Lyk dis/y u no talk propa) i generally think "Hmm this spells trouble"
And so far, the only issue I had was with a guy who typed like that, 1 @rse in several years aint bad!

I shudder when I get
"U stil gt the bass?!"

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1330596433' post='1559857']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If i get a PM about an item with terrible English (eg Tlking Lyk dis/y u no talk propa) i generally think "Hmm this spells trouble"[/font][/color]
[/quote]

This. If someone can't be bothered to use a full point or capitalise the letter 'I', then I'm out! :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330596674' post='1559864']
This. If someone can't be bothered to use a full point or capitalise the letter 'I', then I'm out! :P
[/quote]

Hah! I totally tried to proof read my post to make sure it was right!

You win this round! ;)

I'd vote for a min post count but dont really care as i wouldnt buy from anyone that just comes on here to sell something.
Getting to know people before buying or selling is important to me, thats why i would never use eBay or Gumtree for expensive items.

Just to add my noob perspective to this debate(and thus ironically post on a non-buying/selling thread for the first time...),my BC experience prior
to this point was entirely voyeuristic. Then I wanted a specific cab,noticed one for sale here and joined in order to access that
option.It occurred to me at the time that the seller might be suspicious of my motives,given my sudden and miraculous appearance out
of the ether,but hoped he'd be at least receptive to an inquiry...I was lucky,he turned out to be a thoroughly amenable guy and has always been courteous and helpful.I,in turn,have tried to be communicative and respectful in my dealings with him. Whilst conducting this transaction,I noticed
another BC'er was looking for a fretless neck.I had one I wanted to sell so contacted him and found him to be another genuinely nice
person.(I'm firmly of the belief that most people are...)Again,I attempted to convey as much integrity as it is possible to do via a medium
like this and we utilised PayPal for our mutual protection.So that's one purchase and one sale as my first activity on this site.
In my opinion imposing arbitrary constraints like the ones described above WOULD be a deterrent(particularly,perhaps,to
younger participants) and could even be viewed as counter to the ethos of a community like this.Everyone has to start somewhere
here on BC,as elsewhere,it must always be sensible for buyer or seller to beware in every transaction...and if that 1-in-25 or
whatever does proceed to become an active and contributing member then that's a win all round!

As this is my debut non-transactional post and even though this is not the correct forum for this,Hi guys! Nice to meet you.

Could we not have a minimum post count for selling but tweak it slightly.

I.e. ONLY cash/trade on collection (in person) with a new member below a certain number of posts.

Bank transfers/paypal/long-distance selling etc with members with over the post threshold for selling?

Surely that way, newbies can still sell (or buy) but by doing it all in person, any of the obvious pitfalls (such as sending the item and then the payment not clearing, or the bass in trade never arriving etc) have been removed :)

It would slightly restrict new members in what they could buy or sell to begin with, but it's only a small sacrifice and Im sure most honest new members would appreciate that.

Just a thought!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330598842' post='1559938']
i wouldnt buy from anyone that just comes on here to sell something.
Getting to know people before buying or selling is important to me, thats why i would never use eBay or Gumtree for expensive items.
[/quote]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]I don’t get this at all?, perhaps I’m missing something?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]If there’s a particular bass I want, and someone is selling one, then I’ll try and buy it. Simple as that. I have absolutely no interest in getting to know the seller beforehand, it’s the bass that I would be interested in.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Having said that………..if (as has always been the case in my own experience), during the buying/selling process, you befriend someone, initially due to a common interest in bass-related stuff, then that is a bonus. I’ve met some fantastic people via my bass-world, many of whom I’d consider friends, some I see often, others rarely, and some never, although this is normally down to geographic location, and I still communicate with them often.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Would this be a consideration [i]before [/i]buying a bass? Never, why would it?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]If I was buying a car, which in most cases would be a significantly larger expense than a bass, would I insist on spending 2 weeks with the owner, holed up in a caravan on the Suffolk Downs, before deciding if it was the right car for me?? Errr….no.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]“You have a bass I want, can I buy it?”[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]“Yes”[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Sold[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Done.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1330621337' post='1560585']
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]I don’t get this at all?, perhaps I’m missing something?[/color][/font][/size]

[/quote]

Well only that this is my opinion and no one elses ;-)

...and one further consideration...

"You have a bass I want,can I buy it?"
"Yes"
Sold
Done
"...well sadly,NOT done as we are constrained by BC policy from continuing this transaction...so,instead,here is my email address,drop us a line and we'll
do the deal OFF BC as we have no choice and,moreover,we are free agents,even though we'd both benefit from doing it within the BC community,even if that can't guarantee us
complete protection...."
"OK..."

People would just be obliged to circumvent what seem largely to be a very successful system.And a lot of them would do exactly that.If you keep
it in-house,at the very least people can warn each other if necessary.

Edited by CPCustomdubwise

[quote name='CPCustomdubwise' timestamp='1330622425' post='1560622']
...and one further consideration...

"You have a bass I want,can I buy it?"
"Yes"
Sold
Done
"...well sadly,NOT done as we are constrained by BC policy from continuing this transaction...so,instead,here is my email address,drop us a line and we'll
do the deal OFF BC as we have no choice and,moreover,we are free agents,even though we'd both benefit from doing it within the BC community,even if that can't guarantee us
complete protection...."
"OK..."

People would just be obliged to circumvent what seem largely to be a very successful system.And a lot of them would do exactly that.If you keep
it in-house,at the very least people can warn each other if necessary.
[/quote]

Agree entirely.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1330621337' post='1560585']
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]“You have a bass I want, can I buy it?”[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]“Yes”[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Sold[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Done.[/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]

That's about the top and bottom of it. The most expensive things I've ever bought are houses, and never ever have I met or spoken to the seller!

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1330624820' post='1560688']
That's about the top and bottom of it. The most expensive things I've ever bought are houses, and never ever have I met or spoken to the seller!
[/quote]

I assume you looked at the house and went through some sort of trusted agent or bank?

What happens when something goes wrong? Done doesn't mean finished if the bass (no idea where houses and cars came from, or why) has faults. While this has nothing to do with the post count topic i really envy those who live in this perfect world and every thing they buy, unseen is perfect.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330626153' post='1560717']
I assume you looked at the house and went through some sort of trusted agent or bank?

What happens when something goes wrong? Done doesn't mean finished if the bass (no idea where houses and cars came from, or why) has faults. While this has nothing to do with the post count topic i really envy those who live in this perfect world and every thing they buy, unseen is perfect.
[/quote]

I [i]always[/i] look at my basses before I buy, unless its cheap, in which case i'll take my chance. I know what i'm buying, know what to look for, and if it's right, and the price is sensible, then I'll buy, if not, i won't. No perfect world about it. If you send money to someone you dont know, on the off chance they'll send a bass matching the description....or a bass at all, then that's the chance you take, and it is a chance, that's the 'real world', which is also where i exist. I have bought basses off people on here, who i didnt know (Just because they have 5000 posts, doesnt mean [i]I[/i] know them!), and i take my chance. I have faith in human nature, and so far i've never come unstuck. If i sent £800 to someone i didn't know, and it went wrong, then i would deal with that in my own way, but its a chance you take. If i was buying a £10k bass, i'd go and see it, anyone who does different is foolish. But we all have a choice.

I don't get the 'perfect world' reference in this though?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330626153' post='1560717']
I assume you looked at the house and went through some sort of trusted agent or bank? What happens when something goes wrong?
[/quote]

Agents have no assurance or trust whatsoever. The responsibility of checking what you buy is purely with the buyer, the agent simply brokers the deal. If the house falls down a week after you buy it, the agent has no responsibility at all. The onus is on the buyer to carry out any checks he deems appropriate, which may involve a 3rd party, such as structural engineer, etc. same applies with a guitar purchase, its up to the buyer to take responsibility for [i]his[/i] action, and purchase.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1330535414' post='1559057']
My opinion on this matter is that if a minimum post count were required, someone may not bother sticking around to put their item up for sale and never visit the forum again. This for me is a negative aspect as it will mean no-one will get the opportunity to buy it whether they're regular or not.
[/quote]

This.

An example - I have inherited a metric shitload of N-gauge model railway stuff which is cluttering up the house. I need to shift it, but don't do ebay. There are forums for this kind of thing but they all have minimum post limits of 30 or more posts. I have no interest in model railways and no idea how I could clock up 30 posts, besides which I don't have the time to invest. I'm sure there are loads of n-gauge forum members who would be interested in the stuff.