Why become a member? ×

What influences your bass purchases?

originalfunkbrother

When I bought my current 'go-to' bass, it was by chance because I was looking at something else. But when I saw it, I knew I had to buy it on the spot.
I didnt like the colour at the time and it bugged me after I had purchased it. I was happy with everything else just the colour was a bit off putting. Now, 2 years later, its not something that bothers me at all. I am happy with it through and through.
My question is: besides the brand, do you consider things like colour when you purchase a bass?

yep..whole package for me.

I couldn't have any kit that I didn't rate... ideally..and it would have to be visually and audio-ally satifisying as well.
Then comes build..etc etc...so the whole package, really.

Right or wrong, I don't care much..but it is how I view pretty every major purchase, certainly houses, cars and bass stuff.

Since I've nearly always bought pre-owned (usually off this forum). It's what's available at the time that I want to buy that decides my purchase. I'm a big believer in compromise. If you wait until something comes along that ticks all the preference boxes you could be waiting a long time.

Yes, I do have to like the look of the bass. They are as much [i]objets d'art[/i] as they are instruments. There are styles I will not buy even if they're the nicest sounding/playing basses in the world. Colour is not so much a consideration for me. I'm not quite as shallow as a puddle, but I'm definitely the shallow end of the swimming pool.

I don't even try a bass out unless I've seen it and thought 'actually, that might be quite good!' I'm aware of how much good stuff I might be missing out, but I'm the same with everything - if it doesn't make me go 'wow!' then I probably won't be interested in it.

Once I've decided it looks good enough, I'll give it a try. I have a history of only really getting on with StingRay - and Jazz - style basses, so that colours my choice somewhat too. Stick with what you know I guess.

The one with the most sharp points :P as it can be used as self defence during those more hostile gigs.

But on a serious note I am definitely in the camp of it has to look reasonably nice before I even try it. I am not too fussed on colour as long as its not bright pink.

When I first started I tended to try basses that were used by my favourite artists, not the exact bass but the same brand. Thats how I ended up with an Ibanez as Korn was my favourite band at that time.

The clincher for me is usually how the neck feels when I'm playing it. So, comfort and playability are really important.

Sound-wise, there's so much you can do to change how a bass sounds (on the bass, the amp, pedals etc) - and there are so many external factors that have an impact too (from how everyone else in the band sounds, to how many people in the audience), that it is of secondary importance to me. But I don't do any recording. If you do, you can forget most of this paragraph!

But... I wouldn't buy a bass I didn't like the look of (shape or colour).

Oh, and there's the cost.

And the logo on the headstock (partly for my own benefit and partly when it comes to selling it again).

The logo on the bass doesn't matter in the slightest to me. It's all the other things that are important.

These days there are so many different basses available from so many manufacturers and luthiers that there's no need to compromise on one aspect of an instrument in order to satisfy the others.

Looks are important (but no more than any other aspect). I wouldn't even consider trying a bass that I thought looked either boring or ugly. If I like what I see then I'll pick it up and see how it plays, and only if I'm still liking it will I try it with an amp.

The colour of a bass is important, but for me it's part of the overall design so IMO colours that work well on one bass might not suit another. Having said that you can't go far wrong with black or candy apple red.

If I don't think a bass looks cool in some way or other, I won't buy it. I'll try it, but as Neepheid says, it could be the best bass in the world but if I don't like the look of it it'll stay in the shop.

It took me 17 years to finally get hold of a '72 Rickenbacker in Azure (very rare for that period). Luckily for me it's fantastic, but I was intent on getting one regardless. Of course I have to like the sound, feel and how it plays, but looks are the first thing for me.

Of paramount importance to me are:

Weight. 9lbs or less
Neck width. 40mm or less

Then -
Active electrics or the possibility of adding a pre-amp
Style (bought a T-Bird: felt and looked a complete tit wearing it)
Colour - I can live with a lot of colours but have preferences. There are some colours I just couldn't live with.
Value for money (rather than cost)

Name on the headstock doesn't come into it.

If all those work, I'll probably get it and thats when I find out if it is comfy or not.

I bought my Lakland because I knew it was an excellent bass guitar first and foremost. It's a natural finish, which isn't really my thing but I won't be getting rid of it in a hurry because it's a brilliant player and it sounds just great. Lots of people comment on it.

But I am a total sucker for black and tortoiseshell scratchplates, as well as the old 60's Fender colours like Surf Green, Daphne or Sonic Blue, Fiesta Red, Black and Olympic White, even Graffiti Yellow from the 80's. Something so cool about those colours. I think the look of the instrument certainly dictates what kind of bass I buy in some way... but just less so my last purchase.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1329228792' post='1539122']
Buying a bass is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

Only go with the ones you like, for whatever you reason you like them...

When you go off them for whatever reason, pass them on.

[/quote]

Beer goggles John.

Garry

Good thread. I,m at loggerhead,s at this moment in time with a recent trade, a KS BSR5J-G, most probably one of the easiest 5,s iv,e ever owned, the finish, sound, weight and playability is great, it,s the lack of contour,s on the body i.e. chest, forearm that i can.t get to grip.s with. it,s has a flat/slim profile bodywise but it does,nt sit right when playing standing up. Had a gig at the wk,end and just did,nt feel comfortable, adjusted the strap several times still no joy?. I don.t have a beer gut, i do have large forearm,s, and with no contour my arm/wrist was at a funny angle, so i suppose the body,s a big deal to me. Unless i,m just a funny shape!! :mellow:

[indent=1]Before buying something I need to know that what I'm buying is a respected instrument/equipment so the first step is a [u]good reputation[/u]...this is normally acquired if it satisfies the following:[/indent]
[indent=1]Sound/tone - I prefer Active basses over Passive basses - my recently acquired Fender H1 lacks something here hence why I may be moving it on..(and because it smells of Skunk!!)[/indent]
[indent=1]Playability and feel - I prefer a slim neck - traded a Wal Custom because I couldn't get on with the neck profile..[/indent]
[indent=1]Looks/design/headstock - like so many others, there are some basses that I wouldn't be seen with...being Green goes in it's favour...[/indent]
[indent=1]Colour-v-natural finish - I prefer the look of natural wood over colour but I'm happy to compromise..(especially if it's Green)[/indent]
[indent=1]Investment?? - though I accept I'm rarely going to make a profit if I sell something I want to limit any loss on equipment..[/indent]

[indent=1]Whether I keep said instrument depends only on playability/feel - if it doesn't feel good in my hands it's gone!![/indent]

It's gotta look right, but it's also gotta play right. The sound (up to a point) I can sort out with pickups and electrics.

I've got a Fortress that's just lovely to play, and it now sounds like I want it to, but (and I've whined about this before on here) the colour...sheesh, it just constantly niggles at me. If I could guarantee the result, I'd refinish it, but it's a maple body, and Gawd knows how that'll end up. I'll play the bass for a while, but then it'll go back into its case for a while, because looking at it bugs me.

Yes, I'm shallow. :D

On the other hand, I had a Ray in the right colours (black/black/maple), but I couldn't live with the sound, and the neck was too big. I guess if it had been just one factor I'd have worked on it, but both meant it had to go.

only one bass for me so far, a Stagg, and that was the cheapest one that cash converters had at the time. Few minor dings and it Sunburst with a white plate. Bought it to have a go at playing (it's my first ever instrument also) thinking i'll upgrade if i get into it and won't have lost much if I don't.

Now into it!!

would loe to upgrade but to be honest though, for the level I'm at, it does all it needs to do, gives me something to learn on. I'd much rather spend money on lessons and getting better than gear at the moment.

For me:

It has to have a MM or MM replacement pickup in the 'sweetspot' and be active. Also has to be 'loved'!

I had a big al and despite it being excellent in everything it didn't have right sound and the new feel of it was off putting.

Colour isn't a deal breaker. I used to love white basses, and when I brought my sterling I was bit wierd with it but now I love it and have woken up to the fact that colour isn't important. I'd rather have a colour than natural.