Why become a member? ×

celebrity in the audience?

leftyhook

Thought this might be an amusing thread to start.
Have you ever had a celebrity watching you?

I think my weirdest celeb in the audience has to be 60's TV sitcom star Harry Worth (your parents will do the HW impersonation with a shop window if you ask them!) while I was playing a tiny night club in Singapore back in 1984!

Won't bore you with former Bucks Fizz singers or football chairmen, or being on the same bill as TV comedians........

I am sure there will be some interesting and amusing Z-list stories!

Iv had Alan Shearer in the audience. Though to be fair, it was his local. And Kevin Nolan to, again same place. I had no idea who Kevin Nolan was, Im not in the slightest bit a football fan. He was chatting to my 2 band mates who have a lot of respect for him, Nolan shook their hands and as I approached he looked at me and I just stared straight at him. The kind of look of "yes, can I help you?". He thanked me for the first set when he realised I was in the band and requested O-feckin-asis. We played it and he was more than happy!

Dan

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1327445325' post='1511503']
I met Chris Morris at one of my gigs, he'd come to see his nephew play bass in one of the other bands!
[/quote]

Should have got Mariella Frostrup to kick his arse, the fat gobsh*te.

I sat behind Jack Nicholson in the CBS box when I saw Michael Jackson on the BAD tour.

I had been given VIP tickets from a chap at CBS.

Jacks bouncers (two VERY large gentlemen) politely told me that Jack did not want to talk when I tapped him on the shoulder.

I said, I don't want to talk to him, just tell him to take his hat off as I can't see!

An awkward moment for all concerned!

Russell Howard
Paddy McGuinness
The Beautiful South (Alison asked to sing with us but we were totally spent, bizarre evening)
Prince Andrew (I didn't know who he was and consequently didn't greet him with any sort of royal address)
Toploader

I've been in the presence of some incredibly famous Swedish people during my time in Scandinavia but have had no idea who they were.

Probably quite a few footballers and a variety of other C-listers to add to the list!

Played a gig in 1987 at a cricket Club in Knebworth Hertfordshire in the audience was Mark Hollis from Talk Talk who was a nice bloke and very unlike a 'pop star' Talk Talk were pretty big at the time. His advice to us was just stick at it and if you wanted fame just copy whatever is popular for your first album as that's what we did!

1989, Golf club Welwyn Garden City, Kim Wilde, her father Marty and her brother Ricky although to be fair growing up in WGC you used to see them around quite a bit she was always very friendly and one fo my funniest moments was seeing a friend try to chat her up in a night club in WGC only to have his tie fall in his pint much to her amusement but more so ours!

I had a couple near me at a gig in central London who sang loud & clear during the call & response choruses of some of our swing tunes. Eventually, I leaned over & told them they were the best backing singers we'd ever had which they loved.

Turned out to be Alfie Boe & his co-star who had a night off from their latest opera. He was a lovely guy & left us a great message on our website guestbook.

Does Brian Johnson of AC/DC count? :)

Unbelievably, he actually wanted to sing with us in the second set! He knew our singer was having a hard time with a throat infection and as we were playing typical pub blues stuff Brian knew the material... He was too polite to ask and we were too gobsmacked to suggest it! A lovely guy who always gets together with his family for a meal when he is back home, which is how he happened to be in the pub we were playing as it is round the corner from the Indian restaurant where he had just eaten!

The night I nearly backed Brian Johnson... :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1327479818' post='1511796']
Does Brian Johnson of AC/DC count? :)

Unbelievably, he actually wanted to sing with us in the second set! He knew our singer was having a hard time with a throat infection and as we were playing typical pub blues stuff Brian knew the material... He was too polite to ask and we were too gobsmacked to suggest it! A lovely guy who always gets together with his family for a meal when he is back home, which is how he happened to be in the pub we were playing as it is round the corner from the Indian restaurant where he had just eaten!

The night I nearly backed Brian Johnson... :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! :D B)

did a gig where Ronny Scott an Doctor & the medics was in the crowd, they was playing latter that night, it was my first gig in years, in honesty I sucked! lol :unsure:

then a couple of years latter did a gig (wedding) where the guitarist out of Tom Robinson band was there, he waited till we did a song he must of know really well, walked up on stage half way through the song, lent over our guitarist shoulder (a brave thing to do, we dont call him meaty for nothing, lol) then with his left hand only, played the whole solo spot on, in time, note perfect, came in an went out without missing a beat, done the solo went back to his seat an carried on drinking beer as if nothing happened, it was class, lol, we finished the song laughing our heads off! :lol:

Edited by harleyheath

Don Warren who was Phillip in Rising Damp. I think he'd had a few light ales and was doing this odd, inappropriate slow shuffling dance with a far too young lady right at the front. Off putting.
Charlie Higson was charming and seemed to enjoy us.
Guy Pratt affected my concentration a little bit.