Why become a member? ×

celebrity in the audience?

leftyhook

Did a gig which was a highlight for me already because of who was in the band - the drummer had played with Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, so I was a babbling kid in a candy store during rehearsals to begin with. On the first night of the week long run, I'm milling round the entrance trying to keep my obvious nerves away from the others when in walks the late, great Pete Postlethwaite. During the gig I see John Rocha, and after the gig Elvis Costello comes back to say hello to the band (he's a deceptively huge man - hands like shovels).

Another time playing in Ronnie Scott's, Pete Townsend is there as his girlfriend was in the opening act.

But even better than all that was another time in Ronnie Scott's when Dave Swift was playing in the opening band. Had a nice talk with him, and he let me play his Rob Allen fretless. A gentleman for sure.

Played with loads of celebs- normally on the same bill. Freddy Starr was quite odd and the Chuckle brothers a bit creepy- I do remember a red haired girl in Liverpool dancing madly only to realize it was that scott aitken and waterman chick with the massive cheeks-( cant remember her name but she was very nice )

Met the queen and had a lovely chat ( another story )

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Our band once did a TV show which was set up as a nightclub and the audience was the other bands. The only ones I remember was Tower Of Power, Shawn Phillips and Muddy Waters. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I shook Muddy's hand..... [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1327486896' post='1511961']
I do remember a red haired girl in Liverpool dancing madly only to realize it was that scott aitken and waterman chick with the massive cheeks-( cant remember her name but she was very nice )[/quote]

Dat wus our Sonia dat like. Straight outta Anfield.

[quote name='coasterbass' timestamp='1327494184' post='1512166']
Marcus Miller in a guitar shop once. He asked me to play something for him so he could hear the amp I was trying. [plop]
[/quote]

Hope you said 'Alright mate as long as I don't have to do any of that slap w***ery nonsense' ;)

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1327485909' post='1511925']
Did a gig which was a highlight for me already because of who was in the band - the drummer had played with Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, so I was a babbling kid in a candy store during rehearsals to begin with. On the first night of the week long run, I'm milling round the entrance trying to keep my obvious nerves away from the others when in walks the late, great Pete Postlethwaite. During the gig I see John Rocha, and after the gig Elvis Costello comes back to say hello to the band (he's a deceptively huge man - hands like shovels).

Another time playing in Ronnie Scott's, Pete Townsend is there as his girlfriend was in the opening act.

But even better than all that was another time in Ronnie Scott's when Dave Swift was playing in the opening band. Had a nice talk with him, and he let me play his Rob Allen fretless. A gentleman for sure.
[/quote]

impressive!

Do comedy performances count? Well I started the thread so..
I did a stand-up routine at Charlie Chuck's comedy club ( Uncle Pete from Reeves and Mortimer)
My very first comedy show, he talked to me for an hour before I went on. He spent most of the time being bitter towards other people who 'stole'
his ideas ( Johnny Vegas "Monkey= Charlie Chuck "Donkey") and talked about his training to become a counselor.
Would you visit this man if you had issues to discuss?!! I did enjoy his company and advice. :)
http://youtu.be/Tr-lNUyuFWE

Edited by leftyhook

Did a function where Jerome Flynn and Kate Humble were guests.

Also did an acoustic guitar duo gig in a small bar where Michael Owen and huh mates were on a stag do.

Lol also did a wedding where Michelle McManus was a guest (the er...large lady from x factor or whatever). Obviously she wanted to sing a bit so we got her up to do Mustang Sally, but she didn't know the words..... At the end of the night she was spotted alone at a table at the back with 2 massive burgers.......

I doubt I would recognise any celebrities in the audience if they were there.

Some years ago I went to the UK debut gig of the Japanese band Polysics which was in the small bar venue of the Islington Academy. Apparently there were several well-known musicians in the audience including James Dean Bradfield and Nick Beggs (who'd guested on their last album). I probably trod on their toes and spilled their drinks elbowing them out of the way to get down the front...

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1327440364' post='1511351']
Slightly off topic but to get the ball rolling, I refereed an Under 13's rugby match under the watchful eye of Dean Richards whose son was playing. Don't think I've had anyone in a music setting though.
[/quote]

On the football topic - I once played in a charity match at Barnet FC and Ray Clemence, their manager at the time, turned up and decided to take over the running of our team as we were losing.

I had the misfortune of playing at right wing back and was supposed to hurtle up and down the wing right past him. Now, I've been to a lot of football matches and I've never heard anyone quite as foul-mouthed as him & much of it was directed at me & the right winger as we were closest to him on the pitch.

Luckily I scored a goal (direct from a free kick - boom!) which meant we drew but he still bollocked us like crazy when we came off the pitch - I've never played since :gas:

In music the only ones I can think of are Emma Bunton & Carole Decker from T'Pau.

Interestingly, later on in the evening, I had to exchange most of my clothing with Emma B & pretend to be her on stage, but that's a whole other story. . .

Edited by molan