Why become a member? ×

Why do I have more than one bass?

LukeFRC

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320690347' post='1430096']
I wonder how many take a spare amp for back up? I remember my old Ampeg going bang at the start of a gig, luckily I had an ABM500 with me.
[/quote]

Very true. I've started carrying a DI box as sort of a back up to my amp. The idea being that if my amp dies mid gig I can whip the XLR out of the amp and have a bass sound into the desk and monitors quickly.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1320700283' post='1430350']

Very true. I've started carrying a DI box as sort of a back up to my amp. The idea being that if my amp dies mid gig I can whip the XLR out of the amp and have a bass sound into the desk and monitors quickly.
[/quote]

That`s why I bought my trusty Behringer BD121

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1320690347' post='1430096']
I've been gigging with just one bass for a while now although I do now own two basses. I've never broken a string in all the years I've been playing. I wonder how many take a spare amp for back up? I remember my old Ampeg going bang at the start of a gig, luckily I had an ABM500 with me.
[/quote]

Two Basses, Two Amps, Two Cabs to every gig. :) Only ever needed to grab the back-up Bass when a new battery decided to instantly die in the Active Bass I was using at the time, but it meant a seven-second break rather than around a minute to change batteries. :) Spare amp stashed on the floor behind my stack (had to use it three times in nine years) and the two cabs because I like the sound I get from two cabs stacked. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1320685119' post='1429983']
Just thinking really. I have an awesome amp and cab and 3 basses.

I play regularly but not always at church, at some point maybe ill be in a band again, it would be fun but I'm not busting a gut to join one.
And I have 3 basses... and they are all good.
and it crossed my mind that I would be just as happy, and just as able to play if I sold two of them, I don't need 3 basses.
Each time i've bought a 3rd bass before it's been sold. Sometimes I've gone up to 5 basses but it normally goes down to 2.
Hell i could sell all 3 and get some uber bass.... but then thats daft, as I've not ever played better basses than my main 2.
thats why they are my main two.
But I don't need two.
Or even 3.
So why do I have more than one bass?
[/quote]

The honest answer is "because I can".
Anything else is an attempt to justify it to myself and others :)

I could have only my 4string Stingray and I would be fine. One way or another I can make it work in any situation I have been in.
But it is nice to have various types of bass, soundwise, so here comes the Stingray, Jazz and Precision types, at least.
Now add fretless for an extra layer of complexity. And 5-string too.
And strings: rounds, flats... and within flats, have some nylon tapewounds too.
Do I need all that?
No.
But it is nice to be able to change your sound to something entirely different from time to time.

thanks for answers. It's good.
I wasn't attacking the idea that having lots of basses was bad.
I remember asking Warwickhunt once about having such a collection and his response was something along the lines of, 'I don't smoke or drink and spend money on them so why not.
I've been very lucky the last few years, and while not having much income have not had much outgoings so managed to have had some pretty awesome kit. It just struck me that actually when it gets down to it what I love doing is playing, and really with one of my basses and my amp i would be as happy as I ever could be.
I guess I was thinking, enjoying playing the t40 on sunday night and it crossed my mind, i could be playing any half decent bass now and it would be just as happy.
basswise i guess I've got to the point where I've tried everything I want to. A jazz bass would be nice, but wouldn't get played as much as the P or SS1. building a stingray-a-like could be fun, but only the building, and I would like to stick a PJ set of nordies in the SS1 as I think it would sound amazing. but other than that not fussed.

They're my precioussssssss!!!!

Seriously though...I'm just interested in learning more about what works for me in terms of sound and design. Haven't quite got there yet in terms of combining both although I'm extremely close. I think the next step will be to build my own...watch this space sometime over the next 12 months.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]To me, amps are just boxes but basses are personal. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]For half of my playing life I've only owned 1 bass, but at the moment I’ve got 4. One I take to gigs, which never comes out of the case at home, and one I use at home. The other 2 are just "around". [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial][color="#000000"]I could sell when prices improve, but I'm very bad a selling on stuff that's been superseded, so I might not! At the end of the day I could quite easily live with one instrument. The way prices are going I might have to![/color][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320747553' post='1430711']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]To me, amps are just boxes but basses are personal. [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]For half of my playing life I've only owned 1 bass, but at the moment I've got 4. One I take to gigs, which never comes out of the case at home, and one I use at home. The other 2 are just "around". [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]I could sell when prices improve, but I'm very bad a selling on stuff that's been superseded, so I might not! At the end of the day I could quite easily live with one instrument. The way prices are going I might have to![/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]

I guess that's kinda where I am at too. I just have the feeling that next few months I'll flog a lot of my gear (plan to spend money on a ring for a young lady.... :) )

Edited by LukeFRC

I don't have any basses I have:
An ACG Finn 4
A Fender P
A RBX6JM

See! Not got bass in a single one of their names. So they can't be basses right? And because they're not basses I definitely need one of each :)

Edited by charic

At the moment, i have 2, although there is 3 in my house. One is the main player, one is a backup/different sound. I shall be accquiring a minimum of 2 more (Stingray/Stingray5 and a P Bass) and maybe a fretless too, making that 5. Do i need a a fretless? No, i want one to use for more acousticty stuff. Do i need a Stingray, Precision and Jazz? No, but its fun to have all 3 anyway.

Hmmmmmm...

4 String Precision
5 String Stingray
6 String Jazz

That sounds good to me....

Liam

I'd say you need as many as you want. I lived with one bass for about 20 years then discovered Basschat.

If you gig a lot its probably wise to have more than one. If you record a lot the same applies. The broken string rationale is a funny one cos theres a thread running on here at the moment about the last time you broke a string and most people who have responded haven't broken a string or if they have it was years ago.

Personally i have 5 basses because i can and would have more if my wife let me.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1320763483' post='1431024']
The broken string rationale is a funny one cos theres a thread running on here at the moment about the last time you broke a string and most people who have responded haven't broken a string or if they have it was years ago.
[/quote]

True, most people on that thread haven't broken a string in years. I take a spare bass to gigs purely out of paranoia and nerves, same reason I turn up earlier than necessary for sound check and drive my band crazy with rehearsing new songs a million times before introducing them into the set. Anything I can do to reduce the liklihood of things going wrong on the night helps my nerves.

I'd never begrudge a collector from collecting. For me 2 is enough.

One with really beautiful wood, one which sounds fantastic, one which looks fantastic, one with a great neck, one which is fretless, one which is acoustic, one which is a 12-string.

That's about it, really, even for me - the next one in has to usurp one of those. :)

I get asked "why do you have 4 basses, you can only play one at a time" to which I reply (usually to females) "how many pairs of shoes do you have?". :)

But in all seriousness, I have 4 (but let's just say 3 as one is down as being up for sale soon):

1. Overwater - my main bass as it's just awesome and versatile.
2. My 5 string Bass Collection as it has 2 jazz pickups, a real nice jazz growl and a spare string for extra soloing ability (it's a high C)... (whereas my Overwater is a P/J).
3. My fretless Bass Collection as with the nylon strings it has quite a double-bassey sound.

So it's definitely the different sounds for me. I'd keep my Dean but I've never gotten on with the single humbucker musicman style sound from it.

I'm not gigging or in a band at the moment so I'm not thinking of the spare bass but I'd use my 5 string as a spare if I were. I'm only recording so the different sounds do make a difference for me.

Thunderbird - favourite bass & play it almost exclusively
US Jazz - owned from new & played it for about 5 years. One day I might need to do a gig that the Tbird is not suitable for
Mexican Jazz - it's fretless, cheap and actually very nice to play (I need to practise more on it though)
Aria SB-1000 - was my only bass for over 10 years and is currently being restored for sentimental reasons

I think it would take another 2 basses to complete the collection - a Rickenbacker & a P bass :)

Edit: ... and I don't take a spare bass with me to gigs, but ALWAYS a spare set of strings

Edited by Norris