Why become a member? ×

Van der Graaf Generator

flyfisher

The Hawkwind topic got me listening to my old In Search Of Space album, which led me onto revisiting some my other 1970s stuff including a few VdGG albums, which I've been greatly enjoying this evening.

Similar in their spacey/cosmic/sci-fi aspects to Hawkwind, but generally not as 'heavy', which to be honest I prefer. probably not as commercially successful as Hawkwind (no 'Silver Machine' moment) but they are still recording and touring in various lineups with Peter Hammill still in the key role.

Anyone else a fan?

"Darkness 11/11" is from their 1969 album "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" and features Nic Potter on bass.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmhP6YiN6s[/media]

Been a fan for a long time.
It was the segue from "Undercover Man" into "Scorched Earth", on 'Godbluff', which first trapped me. Guy Evans, what a great drummer.
And Peter Hammill's solo stuff is up there with the best of them. 'Sitting Targets' is a hugely underrated album.

I always sort of thought VdGG were an interesting version of Genesis, who I found very bland and noodly.

Edited by alyctes

I adore VDGG, Still Life by far my favourite album of theirs - La Rossa is as exhausiting and devastating as any King Crimson of the era. I love the fact that at first listen they can appear quite impenetrable and rambling, they can often take quite a bit of work to understand. But once you get it, the songs are under your skin forever.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1319839015' post='1419317']
Been a fan for a long time.
It was the segue from "Undercover Man" into "Scorched Earth", on 'Godbluff', which first trapped me. Guy Evans, what a great drummer.
And Peter Hammill's solo stuff is up there with the best of them. 'Sitting Targets' is a hugely underrated album.

I always sort of thought VdGG were an interesting version of Genesis, who I found very bland and noodly.
[/quote]

I still love Godbluff and play it fairly often. Can't really pick a favourite track these days but as an impressionable tenager I think Scorched Earth was probably the one that stood out the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQbfNZOH0Ag

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1319844171' post='1419390']

I still love Godbluff and play it fairly often. Can't really pick a favourite track these days but as an impressionable tenager I think Scorched Earth was probably the one that stood out the most:

[/quote]

That's the standout for me, even now. (I always thought - and still think - it was about Richard Nixon, FWIW. 1975 album; it was probably easier to see then.)

Edited by alyctes

I've only discovered them recently, starting with this performance. I stumbled across it as I have an old Hohner Pianet, like Hammill is playing here, and was looking for examples of them. His delivery does remind me of Withnail on occasion, but there's a genuine intensity about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzoaWrRYg98

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I've been a fan of VDGG for years, saw their latest lineup in the town where they formed - Manchester - a couple of years ago at Bridewater Hall. Superb band I used to listen to Guy Evan's drumming which really added dynamics to the band through all their longer pieces. All mentioned above are worth a listen I particularly like 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers' from Pawn Hearts.

Hammill was a big influence on John Lydon and an album called 'Nadir's Big Chance' from PH in the mid 70's precluded Punk. VDGG were never targetted by the press as a 'dinosaur' prog band during the punk years as much of their music had a truly vicious streak and they had 'cred'. Their only live album 'Vital' was one of the first [i]truly [/i]live albums - warts and all. Check out Nick Potter's colossal fuzz bass onslaught! Also have a listen to organist Hugh Banton's delicate melodic bass playing on 'House With No Door' on their earlier album 'H to He Who Am The Only One'.

Slight off topic but is everyone aware that Howard Devoto and Magazine are back with a new album and tour next month? I saw them at the Academy a year or so back for their first gig in 20 odd years and it was superb. Unfortunately the great Barry Adamson will not be touring this time because of his film work but great news all the same for fans of more eccentric rock genres. :)

VDGG are superb live ... particularly in their current trio format ... I was blown away by Childlike Faith in Childhood's End when I saw them earlier this year. I must admit to being impressed by Hugh Banton's bass lines ... especially because, live, he plays them with his feet while he's playing keyboards. I have enough trouble with just my two hands as it is ...

Bliss! Never even thought VdGG would be mentioned here.

Have been a fan since "[i]The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other"[/i].
To me the quintessential album is their "string quartet": "[i]The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome[/i]", though "[i]Still Life[/i]" makes for more pleasurable easy listening. :)
The song "[i]Theme One[/i]" in the version with the church organ (rather than the Hammond version) is played heavily in this family.

bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1319883311' post='1419610']
...Hammill was a big influence on John Lydon and an album called 'Nadir's Big Chance' from PH in the mid 70's precluded Punk. VDGG were never targetted by the press as a 'dinosaur' prog band during the punk years as much of their music had a truly vicious streak and they had 'cred'. Their only live album 'Vital' was one of the first [i]truly [/i]live albums - warts and all. Check out Nick Potter's colossal fuzz bass onslaught! Also have a listen to organist Hugh Banton's delicate melodic bass playing on 'House With No Door' on their earlier album 'H to He Who Am The Only One'.
[/quote]

Vital & Nadiir's big chance were my introduction to Mr Hammill & co... Then went back to previous albums... World Record, Still life etc...
Nick Potter's dirty bass on Vital really got my attention..... Great stuff!

Love the 'take no prisoners' fuzzy octaves on 'Still Life' [i] (about 3.30 in)[/i]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v-4_ujnNtw[/media]

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1319932102' post='1420360']
We had one at school and the Science Teacher used to get us to shock ourselves with it....
[/quote]

:) :) :)
Now you mention it, so did we. Our favourite trick was to stand on an insulated stool, charge ourselves us and then light a bunsen burner with the spark. Happy days.

I s'pose "H&S" has put an end to such things for schoolkids today. :o

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1319932102' post='1420360']
We had one at school and the Science Teacher used to get us to shock ourselves with it....
[/quote]

Damn you lucky bastards! All we had was a wimpy [i]Wimshurst influence machine[/i], which was used to raise the recently washed hairs of those damn clean rich kids.

• 1 year later...