Why become a member? ×

Van der Graaf Generator

flyfisher

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1372793951' post='2130162']
How do they get by without the saxes?
[/quote]

Pretty well, but I'm not the best person to ask. I have only ever seen them live, and hardly listened to anything studio recordings. I first saw them with David Jackson in 2005, but didn't really get it. I've seen them three times at the Barbican since, and it's varied from really good (the other night) to brilliant (probably the second of the three shows I've seen there).

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1372676195' post='2128338']
Saw them at the Barbican last night, stirring stuff indeed. Among my favourite rhythm sections can be found Guy Evans and Hugh Banton's feet.
[/quote]

they were awesome in Manchester - Guy Evans is one of my favourite drummers and, at one point, I was totally mesmerised watching Hugh Banton play a complex bass line with left hand and bass pedals (needing both feet!) and playing a different right hand part too - astounding dexterity!
there's a recording of the Barbican gig here:
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/van-der-graaf-generator-barbican-hall-london-30-june-2013-a-160427.html

as for missing the saxes....for a trio the sound is huge plus Hugh B covers the sax parts on keys - most of them were heavily 'treated' anyway so they didnt sound like a sax!

stunning live though, such intense power.

Oh oh oh! I've just recently stumbled back to Basschat, and to discover this! Great to see all this love for what is probably my favourite band ever. And it seems I'm not the only bass player who loves this band with no bass player :-O