Why become a member? ×

Irritating terms that non-musos use...

Ian Savage

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318498870' post='1402812']
There's actually a difference between slides and bottlenecks. Bottlenecks are hollow - they were originally make from bottles, while slides are solid like this one:

[/quote]

Now I had been thinking of making the same post, but according to the Dunlop catalogue, these are now called Tone Bars. Did somewhere back in the past the term slide guitar used to be reserved for steel guitar?

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1318516950' post='1403205']
Tuning up my Status and this guy walks over and says ' So you can't afford a Fender then' 'No mate,I'm still saving for one' mutters fack off under my breath!
[/quote]

Should've just gone "Well i had one, but it was a pile of sh*t so i sent it back to noteveryonehasafender.com and bought a Squier instead"

Liam

Tuning up my Status and this guy walks over and says ' So you can't afford a Fender then' 'No mate,I'm still saving for one' mutters fack off under my breath!
[/quote]

Tuning up my Precision and the promoter walks up and says -What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? -um, tuning my bass? -I booked you three months ago and you're only tuning up NOW?

(a true story that happened to someone else, maybe it was you)

Well none if that causes me to 'hate' but one thing that causes mild annoyance when setting up:

"Do you really need all that gear?"

...no, we don't really need it. We transport it all at great cost (instead of sharing one vehicle) just for the hell of it. And then we drag it in through these narrow doorways, scraping the skin from our knuckles, having to force our way past ignorant chain-smokers who won't move from the entrance halls of these dives because we've nowt better to do...

Midi disc.

People that write "segway" on set lists.

The expression "pitchy"- as in "your vocal was a bit pitchy"- used on TV shows like American Idol etc by people who can't tell flat from sharp.

(As a rule of thumb, flat make you squeeze your bum cheeks together whereas sharp makes you want to claw your eyes out and stick knitting needles into your ears)

[/quote]
I had somebody say that to me about my Jaydee when I first got it.

I remember my mate picking up his gorgeous new Sei bass and us driving home to Glasgow. He was so chuffed with it, and when he gotbit home he showed it to his parents who looked at it rather, in a rather bemused manner. His Dad was obviously struggling to find something to say, and then said. "erm, it's got a lovely stem on it!??" hahaha

[quote name='JetKing' timestamp='1318517619' post='1403218'] My girlfriend says 'why do you need another pedal? You only have two feet!'[/quote]

Opens her right up for the classic reply 'why do you need any more shoes?'. Unfortunately the only girlfriend that has ever asked that question had not much interest in shoes, having no feet.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1318517190' post='1403212']

Tuning up my Precision and the promoter walks up and says -What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? -um, tuning my bass? -I booked you three months ago and you're only tuning up NOW?

(a true story that happened to someone else, maybe it was you)
[/quote]

Nearly as good as 'Bloody hell, wasn't it in tune when you bought it'?

Have you got enough equipment? 'No actually, I want loads more'.

Can you tone it down? 'What make it bassier?'

I want you to finish at 12 and I've got a taxi booked for 12-15. 'Hard luck mate, it takes an hour to take the gear down and load the van and it says so in the contract'.

Dressing room? You can use the gents. 'We don't do toilets'.

What's the name of the band then mate? 'There's a poster behind your head twat'.

You've got 2 left handed guitarists! 'Have we, I never noticed'.

I could go on.

One that musicians and none muso (but not engineers) types use: 'It sounds a bit tinny'

That bugs the hell out of me.. Tinny? What!? Use your words to decrible what you're hearing. Last time i looked, a tin makes no sound at all unless struck and even then.. Stupid term and none descriptive!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1318487576' post='1402684']

To be fair, you'd get some puzzled looks if you asked for a 3-core power lead terminated with a 13-Amp plug at one end and a female 6-amp IEC 1 plug at the other...
And the guy behind the bar would reach across and grab the greasy, white, coiled flex with a 10-Amp IEC 1 plug that supplies power to their... kettle. :)
I call them power leads, myself.
[/quote]

Why not just call them Kaltgerätekupplung nach Norm IEC 60320 C13 ... well that's certainly not musicians calling them like that...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318521277' post='1403289']
the only girlfriend that has ever asked that question had not much interest in shoes, having no feet.
[/quote]
An ex-girffriends sister was getting on my nerves over something once, so I asked her "If you had no feet would you wear shoes"?
"Of course not" she said,

"So why do you wear a bra"?
She didn't speak to me for quite some time :)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318550438' post='1403757']
One that musicians and none muso (but not engineers) types use: 'It sounds a bit tinny'

That bugs the hell out of me.. Tinny? What!? Use your words to decrible what you're hearing. Last time i looked, a tin makes no sound at all unless struck and even then.. Stupid term and none descriptive!
[/quote]

Tinny - a term that describes a tone or sound with too much top end, and not enough weight. :)

Does that help? :)

I almost asked you to pop out to the car the other night to help me work out why my stereo sounds 'boxey' :)

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1318575681' post='1403822']

Tinny - a term that describes a tone or sound with too much top end, and not enough weight. :o

Does that help? :)

I almost asked you to pop out to the car the other night to help me work out why my stereo sounds 'boxey' :)
[/quote]

A tinny is also a fairly well disliked name for a can of cheap lager :)

What about if somebody says you sound 'meaty'??