Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1332942097' post='1595207']
I have depped on guitar for more than one band in this situation...

Bass player - "here mate, can you tune this bass for me?"

:(
[/quote]

Been asked to play soundcheck for another band before. I agreed if they didn't mind me not knowing the song obviously. Shouldn't have bothered tbh, standard strings on a $$ tuned to drop G = inaudible anyway (other than clack)

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1332942024' post='1595205']
It's not something people actually say, but I hate it when we are carrying all the gear in from the van and people put it all ON the stage. I mean, don't you realise we then have to move it all again to prior to setting up. No brains.
[/quote]

That is the most frustrating thing EVER.

I played with a sax player like that. All her stage clothes, handbag, instrument always right where I was about to drop my bass cab. One day I swear I was just going to put my cab down on all her stuff.

Eventually I got the whole band together and said nothing goes onto the stage except backline amps, drums and PA cabs until the PA is set up. Trying to run mains cables across the stage without knocking over drinks, music and instruments on stands.

I just thought it should be obvious but a lot of people seem to need it explaining to them.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1317980088' post='1396829']
"Let's do 500 Miles for the encore, everyone loves it...."

oh god!!
[/quote][quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1317980088' post='1396829']

oh god!!
[/quote][quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1317980088' post='1396829']

oh god!!
[/quote]

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1332950847' post='1595427']
[/quote] I'm with you on this song, I bleeding hate it (you know how bad a bassline it has) its always 'wheeled out' to the drunken masses at the end of the nite. I have point blank refused to play despite being nagged by the rest of the band.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1332949731' post='1595388']

Yes, I mean, the band has only been gigging for 18 years after all, so I guess they need time to get the hang of it
[/quote]

Indeed. I learned a lot in my first band. The main thing was not to let things fester and to be up front and honest without being overbearing.

Me: I think we need to ensure that nothing goes onto the stage during load in. Until drums and PA and backline are in place. No cases, bags, cloths, instruments, music etc.
Drummer: definitely, I've been meaning to say something for ages. It's a nightmare setting up the drums with everyones gear everywhere.

Next gig;
Me: I thought we agreed no cases etc on the stage!
Drummer: oh that was for everyone else. I need to unpack my drums on the stage.

Me: Dave, you sure you want to set up there? I have to put the lights there later and you're going to get hot, blinded and they'll be in your way.
Dave: no I'll be fine here mate.

After souncheck...
Dave: can we move the lights, they're right in my way, I can't see anything and they're bl**dy hot.

Just a few gems from my former lead singer in a pseudo blues band.

"I'm the clever one in this van."
(when extremely p*ssed).

"You all aren't playing the songs how I want them played."
(when extremely p*ssed).

"The bass player is trying to take over the band"
(because he did a website that generated work and took bookings, when the singer was extremely p*ssed).

"I could play with an out of tune Salvation Army Band and they'd still clap, because it's me".
(when extremely p*ssed).

ooo the above just reminded me of three different singers all saying the same thing after a gig (With different supplied mics & PA)
[i]That mic was faulty my voice sounded crap tonight[/i]
Me- noo that's how your voice usually sounds

[quote name='AMPEG' timestamp='1332950972' post='1595433']
I'm with you on this song, I bleeding hate it (you know how bad a bassline it has) its always 'wheeled out' to the drunken masses at the end of the nite. I have point blank refused to play despite being nagged by the rest of the band.
[/quote]
afraid I can't agree with you, maybe you're being a bit snobby?, 500 miles is a great simple singalong song to do as an encore, punked up of course, send the crowd home happy they'll come again, and lets face we all love a gig where we get an audience reaction, or should do. We do Nellie the Elephant as well :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1333015474' post='1596125']
You were a member of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcdQk0RJuE"]They Must Be Russians[/url] and I claim my £5.00
[/quote]
:D
for give my ignorance but what does IBTL mean? nothing complimentry I presume

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1333011729' post='1596052']
afraid I can't agree with you, maybe you're being a bit snobby?, 500 miles is a great simple singalong song to do as an encore, punked up of course, send the crowd home happy they'll come again, and lets face we all love a gig where we get an audience reaction, or should do. We do Nellie the Elephant as well :)
[/quote]
I used to own a mobile Disco and we ended every night with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, because I have a theory that if you can get people to sing along to a happy tune as they're leaving they're less likely to turn on each other and start fighting. Though it does rather count on the Bride and Groom's families having not already started scratching and thumping chunks out of each other.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1333021165' post='1596247']
I used to own a mobile Disco and we ended every night with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, because I have a theory that if you can get people to sing along to a happy tune as they're leaving they're less likely to turn on each other and start fighting. Though it does rather count on the Bride and Groom's families having not already started scratching and thumping chunks out of each other.
[/quote]

My guitarists wedding finished on "Tenacious D: Tribute".

That was epic :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1317980681' post='1396835']
Holy crap! I would actually rather f*ck The Proclaimers than do that number.
[/quote]

I must confess that not only have I done it, I chose it. However this is the version we did...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0gl4p2F-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0gl4p2F-g[/url]

"And if I haiver whatever the f*ck that means", is my favourite alteration.

Edited by CS2