Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1335203025' post='1627220']
I'm fed up hearing "I can't play in that key can we do it in a key that everyone can play"
[/quote]

:lol: Meaning, 'I can't be bothered to put the work in and would like to make it easy for myself.'

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335203266' post='1627231']

:lol: Meaning, 'I can't be bothered to put the work in and would like to make it easy for myself.'
[/quote]

Yes, yes, and absolutely YES!

I'm just about to leave for a band rehearsal, so tonight I might just suggest learning the keys instead of moaning. I go with the power of Basschat!!

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1335198550' post='1627115']
the thing I always hear from our guitard,oh sorry had no time,,,he does not work...
:gas: and why goes he arrive at gigs after every thing has been dragged in??
[/quote]

+1 for guitard :D

I get this line a lot.."yes it's a nice tune but not really us" and then imo we play quite a few tunes that are on the same ball park. I'm not a meglomaniac but i work like hell on some of the tunes to a) learn them in the first place b} try my best if possible to make them better this takes many hours of hard work.

I wonder if the bast.. my colleagues spent a little bit of effort on some of my tunes they might work.

The other side of the coin of course is that they don't want to hurt my feelings and my tunes are sh*te. :mellow:

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1335203886' post='1627252']
+1 for guitard :D

I get this line a lot.."yes it's a nice tune but not really us" and then imo we play quite a few tunes that are on the same ball park. I'm not a meglomaniac but i work like hell on some of the tunes to a) learn them in the first place B) try my best if possible to make them better this takes many hours of hard work.

I wonder if the bast.. my colleagues spent a little bit of effort on some of my tunes they might work.

The other side of the coin of course is that they don't want to hurt my feelings and my tunes are sh*te. :mellow:
[/quote]

To be fair, our parts are always much easier, since nobody pays much attention to us...

1) at my first first audition ever as a bass player, for an originals band that had not sent me any recordings of their music, the drummer says "just try to follow, and don't worry if you make mistakes, nobody listens to the bass anyway"
:lol: To by shame, I got the position and I played with them for 2-3 months until I decided that band was a dead end.

2) with Sea Bass Kid, recently. We recorded the rhythm guitar, bass and drums together. Next go two guitarists and main vocals... and one of the guitarists sends me a txt about how much he loves those harmonics I put in the intro. I replied to him "I've been playing it like that for 3-4 months now". :ph34r:
He replies, "ah, yeah, I noticed it recently but I could not hear it properly until today... whops, sorry!"
:yarr: I was lying that was something I introduced just before the recording during a rehearsal without him. I only ever played it *once* like that before him. But I made him doubt! :lol:

We've been planning a rehearsal for 3-4 weeks now, had already decided which tracks we are learning and just needed to arrange the exact date (this Wednesday) & the venue.

Text message from guitarist late on Sunday night:
"Just sent you boys a couple of emails with mp3s attached in case you haven't got them. Better late than never eh?!"

Reply from drummer:
"Thanks mate I've not got them, but have now"

Bless him. So he's going to get three tracks nailed in two days...

Guitarist: "we need to drop this song because I'm making too many mistakes" - after everyone else has learned a song that he suggested, and "I don't want to play that song/part like that as I'll make too many mistakes".

The drummer and I usually find that practising works.

Edited by gazhowe

Ex rhythm guitarist, would always play too loud. Sound balance was crap.

Us: turn down, you're too loud!

Him...walks over to the amp, waves his hand over the volume and walks back.

Us: you didn't even touch the thing!

Him: no, I'll turn down on the guitar instead.

...needless to say, he never did. :facepalm:

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1335205019' post='1627283']
...I am sick of hearing our drummer going "your hair is great" and then turning up with my hair the following week![/quote]

It's nice to share hair with your friends. Especially if they're bald.

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1335268161' post='1628272']
The drummer and I usually find that practising works.[/quote]

You really would think this is obvious, wouldn't you? Yet some people don't bother, and think they can learn material through osmosis, or divine intervention, or telepathy, or some such!

Edited by discreet

A favourite saying of our drummer when he first joined, was, when not knowing the songs and gigs approaching fast, "don't worry, we'll busk it...".

[i](Just to say, fair play to him, he did do a grand job as it turned out, with not many cock-ups at all...and still with us today almost 10years on). [/i]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335269774' post='1628314']
You really would think this is obvious, wouldn't you? Yet some people don't bother, and think they can learn material through osmosis, or divine intervention, or telepathy, or some such!
[/quote]

The Vulcan Mind Meld! I've often wished I could learn that way!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1335269863' post='1628319']
The Vulcan Mind Meld! I've often wished I could learn that way!
[/quote]

I always fantasised about learning Joe-90 fashion:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9QZFdW8uQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9QZFdW8uQ[/url]

I am tempted to post the entire email that our departing singer sent - to the drummer, mind- myself and the bassist were never officially informed; we had a pre-gig practice, and it was only when I asked whether he was going to tell us he was leaving that he bothered to mention it!

[size=2]"I don't enjoy practise sessions anymore and the pressure of learning new songs is getting to[/size]
[size=2]me and pulling my focus away from the things in life I like doing*. Ideally from my point of view[/size]
[size=2]I'd say we have a set of songs we know play well and generally enjoy. I just don't have the drive[/size]
[size=2]anymore for adding to that but I'm certainly up for doing those gigs.[/size]

[size=2]"It's certainly nothing personal but it's gotten to the point where I look at a sheet of paper with[/size]
[size=2]words I can't relate to and spend all week trying to force myself to like them..[/size][size=2]. Even after I'm gone I'll help where I can, promotion and[/size]
[size=2]looking for gigs, and stuff if you like ;) "[/size]

*Karaoke!
after 9 months of work and starting to get gigs it was a bit of a pisser...

Edited by dogload