Why become a member? ×

Depressing things your bandmates say.

arthurhenry

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1335272879' post='1628388']
Last night from lead guitarist in recently formed covers band ( though I`ve known him for years,great player too )...." look, I`ve had the 7 string repaired,now there`ll be much more bottom end"........oh good....
[/quote]

Reverse the bass control on his amp ;)

Might as well do the volume while you're there too :lol:

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Might as well do the volume while you're there too[/font][/color][/quote]

Oh yes, my amp was still at the volume from last week when my loud originals metal band played a non PA supported gig i.e. fricken loud, and was still too quiet in a 12 foot square room with the 7 string bass monster. Luckily he kept hitting bum notes as he`s not played the 7 in years, so hope we`ll be back to normal next time...!!!!

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1335272426' post='1628377']
after 9 months of work and starting to get gigs it was a bit of a pisser...
[/quote]

I bet it was. All he had to do was say he wasn't interested any more, not go into all that crap about 'pressure' and 'focus'.
Just makes him look like the arse that he is. I suspect he works in local government. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335269774' post='1628314']
You really would think this is obvious, wouldn't you? Yet some people don't bother, and think they can learn material through osmosis, or divine intervention, or telepathy, or some such!
[/quote]

Yeah. I know one of those. Drives me nuts. :-/

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1335278135' post='1628484']
Iceland, actually. I think he wants to be their next Stacey Solomon!
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Or possibly Jóhanna Sigur[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]ð[/size][/font][/color]ardóttir. :happy:

[b][i]"You play what I tell you to play! It's MY rehearsal room!"[/i][/b]
Our drummer. We practised in the school he attended, a pre-college music school. The rest of the band were stellar musicians, myself being the weakest link despite formal music education.

[b][i]"There's no use in this if you guys are just UNWILLING to play covers of THE SHADOWS exclusively..."[/i][/b]
Guitard in our 6 piece band that set out to start with covers allsorts, and then develop our own music when we felt we were up to it.

[i][b]"You artsy fartsy college musicians are just a bunch of losers. The real quality musicians are those like the ones that make the music for tv programmes."[/b][/i]
My bandmate and best friend, one year after he had been denied a place at the college of music, despite his technical capabilities and his new £3,000 concert guitar (70s money).
Not that he necessarily was wrong. It's just kinda funny coming from a guy who failed at becoming one himself. These days he makes £150,000 a year in accounting, so... :)

bert

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1335204902' post='1627279']
To be fair, our parts are always much easier, since nobody pays much attention to us...

1) at my first first audition ever as a bass player, for an originals band that had not sent me any recordings of their music, the drummer says "just try to follow, and don't worry if you make mistakes, nobody listens to the bass anyway"
:lol: To by shame, I got the position and I played with them for 2-3 months until I decided that band was a dead end.

2) with Sea Bass Kid, recently. We recorded the rhythm guitar, bass and drums together. Next go two guitarists and main vocals... and one of the guitarists sends me a txt about how much he loves those harmonics I put in the intro. I replied to him "I've been playing it like that for 3-4 months now". :ph34r:
He replies, "ah, yeah, I noticed it recently but I could not hear it properly until today... whops, sorry!"
:yarr: I was lying that was something I introduced just before the recording during a rehearsal without him. I only ever played it *once* like that before him. But I made him doubt! :lol:
[/quote]
They don't care really as long as any of your runs don't clash with theirs. Although there is this one tune that i cant play if i'm honest but its a tune i really should be able to play and the guitarist gets really pissed off with me when i mess it up. I'm getting better at it because i've just got the rhythm finally. The thing is, he will play like a bag of sh*te anyway all the way through it because he's spending that much time watching me for a mistake, which surprisingly doesn't help my performance.

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1335304458' post='1629171']
They don't care really as long as any of your runs don't clash with theirs. Although there is this one tune that i cant play if i'm honest but its a tune i really should be able to play and the guitarist gets really pissed off with me when i mess it up. I'm getting better at it because i've just got the rhythm finally. The thing is, he will play like a bag of sh*te anyway all the way through it because he's spending that much time watching me for a mistake, which surprisingly doesn't help my performance.
[/quote]
:blink:

Next time, just ask him to watch your right hand REALLY closely............and then slap him with it.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1335345735' post='1629464']
Next time, just ask him to watch your right hand REALLY closely ...and then slap him with it.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U[/url]

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1335345735' post='1629464']
:blink:

Next time, just ask him to watch your right hand REALLY closely............and then slap him with it.
[/quote]
haha i've been tempted. He only gets away with it because we've been friends since we were kids and i know what he's like.
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335346590' post='1629481']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U[/media]
[/quote]
quality

We wasted a lot of money in a studio last year. Result was rubbish. Partly our fault - partly the studio. C'est la vie lets not make the same mistake next time.

So, a year later we need a little demo for our cover band website. Eager not to spend a fortune as we did last time which was mainly for the guitarist and singer to perfect their parts i arranged a live recording session. 4 hours, 4 tunes, bang wallop should be finished. I explained all of this in advance to the band and said do not worry if the whole song doesn't sound perfect because we only need to provide about 45 seconds for each song. The idea is to make one track with the best 45 seconds of each recording and put them together as a single track.

Singer wanted to go back and perfect some harmonies (even though they don't exist from her live) - guitarist intimated that he'd like to go back and redo some solos. I said, "Don't worry, i used the best bits from each song and none of your solos are in them!" FFS punters who might book us just want to hear the damn tune - not solos. Now the band want to put up each track in its entirety even though we had agreed all the previous stuff!!!

Main band member (vocals and guitar) said that he is moving away and can't rehearse every week any more. Not a problem, really, except that we had just managed to get ourselves ready to gig. Now, we shall practice once a month (at best) and before gigs. But in reality, that's it, isn't it?

The band was good. We were all at the same level, no egos...it will take time to find this again.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1335438752' post='1631033']
Main band member (vocals and guitar) said that he is moving away and can't rehearse every week any more. Not a problem, really, except that we had just managed to get ourselves ready to gig. Now, we shall practice once a month (at best) and before gigs. But in reality, that's it, isn't it?

The band was good. We were all at the same level, no egos...it will take time to find this again.
[/quote]

Same thing has happened with one of my bands recently. It's a shame as we only rehearse one a month at most now and there is a distinct lack of energy. Feels like the end.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1335440373' post='1631090']
"I quite like the new Coldplay album"

:unsure:
[/quote]

Leads to....

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335346590' post='1629481']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U[/media]
[/quote]

Covers band rehearsal last night, guitarist says "Wow - what's that you're playing?" I replied "Urm ... the bass line ... as per the record". "Oh. I've never heard that bit". So now it's an added feature of the track, with him doubling up...