Why become a member? ×

Bad Back

Pete Academy

No, but I have played with a badass. Kaboom-ting!

Actually I have a glass back and have played many gigs with a bad back (mainly lower back pain). Painkillers, a wide padded bass strap and sitting down before and after the set are my only ways of getting through it

I imagine there will be quite a few takers here! Yes. Most of the time these days after I buggered it royally when clearing snow back at the start of December. I had a gig a fortnight later and, when I first did it, couldn't actually walk more than about 10 yds. Doctor prescribed me Diclofenac which I now take regularly and which works a treat for me - start the day before and for the day after for a gig or any other more strenuous physical activity. Frozen peas/hot water bottle 2mins alternate for 20 mins 3 times a day for acute problems. Look up McKenzie method for stretches and excercises to relieve short term or help long term. For serious long term management, if indeed yours becomes long term, find out as much as you can about exercises to strengthen your core and lower back muscles. Basically it changes your life - never take anything for granted afterwards.

Bass playing-wise I have now sold practically all my heavy gear and use the lightweight clobber as per my signature. I use my lightest bass (SGC Nanyo Bass Collection) for the longer playing at rehearsals.

Good luck - hope it is a one-off!

When my back plays up I find that if I keep moving and avoid staying in one position it helps and avoids it 'locking up'.
So, when I'm playing I try to move around and gently flex my back and shoulders between songs. There's not always room to move though!
I have to say that since I switched from a Behringer 2X10 (I'm sure it's made out of ex-Soviet tank components) to a Barefaced Bigone my back is much happier!

Constantly.......I have reoccuring back troubles, comes with the job of being a builder!!

Had a wedding a week past friday, only 2 days after putting it out, hadn't had time to get it sorted and was dreading the load and set up etc.....

To my delight, the entrance was 6 feet from the stage....oh joy.

Lucky on that occasion, but have been other times where back was out and had 2 flights of stairs to go with all the pa etc etc....not nice.

Slap some Voltarol cream on the back...helps get through the night!.....Rock n roll or what!!

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1369868' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:56 PM']I spent several years taking a time out from life in general with a spinal injury. The one good bit of advice I had from a guitar playing chyropractor was don't stand still.And get someone else to move the kit for me..[/quote]

+1 to this.

If you can't sit down then do NOT stand still!

Also, be careful of wearing back supports (the athletic types, usually made of neoprene) or even wide leather belts ... they feel like they're helping to "support" you when you first put them on - which seems logical - but in practice they extend the problem IME.

Had to do it more times that I'd like.

Now it is all part of managing the back and keeping the posture so these things crop up less frequently.
I am more careful now but don't avoid working the back and am not especially light with my gear.

I'll lift most things..CAREFULLY.. that is a easy one man lift of about 70lbs.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1369873' date='Sep 11 2011, 09:00 PM']+1 to this.

If you can't sit down then do NOT stand still!

Also, be careful of wearing back supports (the athletic types, usually made of neoprene) or even wide leather belts ... they feel like they're helping to "support" you when you first put them on - which seems logical - but in practice they extend the problem IME.[/quote]

i disagree - some of the neoprene ones are soft enough that they dont give any significant amount of support (at least not to a seventeen stone lump like me) but more importantly i find they keep your back nice and warm which helps mobility and circulation - on occasions where it has really locked up ive used a heavy weight training belt for very short term support whilst waiting for the diazepam and voltarol to kick in

still aching form saturday night gig lugging a 1x15 and 4x10 in and out the pub - i like the sound from my hartke rig but its a bugger with a bad back and im very envious of my mates markbass 500w rig that is in comparison two little boxes about the size of fag packets - we did put them side by side to compare - the volume is there but you just dont seem to get the same degree of air movement from two 1x12s - so i will probably only resort to a micro rig if the back pain becomes too much to haul the bigger stuff around

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1369767' date='Sep 11 2011, 07:56 PM']I pulled my back yesterday while loading gear in. Three hours plus in a cramped minibus. Two hour set set with an 11-pound bass to support. Over three hours back home and unload gear. Agony today.

Anyone done a gig with back pain?[/quote]

I`ve a permanently bad shoulder, so you could say every gig I`ve done since 2001 has been with a bad back. Stretching exercises can really help, as does having a hot shower, then finishing with cold water. Brisk, but helps. Down-sizing gear also helps greatly, I`ve now gone Barefaced, after having Ampegs & Marshalls, and my back is so much the better for it.

Another thing that I`ve found is adjust your strap length to how it suits your back, not your playing. I have my bass slung low, and though it looks cool, it`s harder to play like that, but it benefits my back, so it stays like that.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1369831' date='Sep 11 2011, 08:39 PM']I think people tend to take the piss out of people who claim they have a bad back, but I reckon there's nothing worse, especially in a bass playing situation.[/quote]

Back pain is, officially, the worst - and, if you give yourself a real injury it's persistent.

Of course, wisdom only comes with experience; by which time you're really in the sh*t :)

I did my back in a couple of years ago. Went to the doctor and was told to rest. Later found out that I should've been told to rest initially then to do certain exercises so as a result it took ages to get better.

Luckily the guys lifted all the stuff into the gig and its amazing how light those Squier Mudbucker Precisions are

I paggered my back @ 25 years ago through trying to lift a video game cabinet out of an amusement arcade on my own (15 & I thought I could lift anything). After that, I learned to lift properly but it still comes back.
Last month I was holding one of my moggies, leaned forward to let him down & it just went. So painful I had to take the day off work (which I actually hate doing).

This is one of the reasons I like my Ibanez SR, it's @ 8lb. Another good tool on stage is the bar stool (though maybe not for rock/punk).

Also my Markbass combo weighs less than most of the heads I've owned! :)

Edited by xgsjx

Off to see my osteopath this afternoon about mine. Being a gardener with all the asociated bending doesn't help. Fortunately mine is only muscular and not spinal. Still wares you out though. Use a trolly to cart gear around. Saves a lot of trouble and everyone comments "That's a good idea".

Sit down, while gigging, and don't lift any serious weight - you're not a solo artist, as I suppose, so there can be someone else in the band to load/unload the gear for a few nights, or if they're still such twats to force you to help with gear, get a friend to sub for you for a pint or something.... You don't wanna do driving too, if you can avoid it.
Maybe you can borrow a really lightweight bass from someone or a shop (you're working in one, aint you?)

Good luck, mate,
Faith

Edited by Faithless

Constant back pain here but only bad enough to constitute a niggle. (Touch wood.) Nothing compared to the screaming sciatica that completely floored me for several years so I can't complain.

Main bass is fairly light and is carried rucksack style, Barefaced Compact in one hand and micro head in a laptop bag. I can carry my entire rig in one go with no strain. However as I tend to get to places early I invariably end up helping the others carry their heavy arsed gear around!

The " Non specific back pain" term has had me very frustrated for the past few years.
Hundreds of pounds spent on different treatments, doctors, pysio, Chiro, bowen, osteo, sports massage you name it i have tried it.

I ended up paying for a mri and finding out I have bulging disks.
Not great news but at least i can now deal with it.

From personal experience and lots of research this is what I have found.........

You have to self manage.
The key for me is to stretch and condition the muscles that directly attach to the lower back (lumber spine) This frees up the tension around the vertebra and the disk from where a high percentage of trouble comes from .

And strenthen the ones that surround those.

Three simple stretches check on utube for

Psoas muscle stretch
Hamstring stretch ( tight hamstrings pull pelvis out of alignment and causes inbalance)
Mckenzie back extension. ( this may not be suitable for all, start carefully)

These stretches need to be done as often as possible. 4 or 5 times a day

Along with this I have a inversion table ( lets you hang upside down)
Inversion tables help to decompress the spine, any one that that suffers from back pain
needs one of these the relief you get is just great the best thing I have found that helps. I use this a couple of times a day.

All of the info above is from my experience and for me it works amazinly well, it doesn't mean it will work for every one. I am pretty much niggle free now. If any one wants further info, give me a shout.

Regards
Patch

Edited by patch006

Did a gig earlier this year with a buggered neck - had slept badly I think but had severe shooting pains whenever I so much as moved my head. I was totally useless for load in and out, and just stood at a slightly funny angle all night. It did ease off as the night went on, not sure if that was adrenalin or beer though....

Pulled a disc during an epileptic seizure seven years ago, and it still bothers me today. Some more than others. When I'm stressed it hurts more. I obviously carry a lot of tension in my back. Being a graphic designer does not help.

As a result, I now play short scale basses. The new Fender Squier Jaguar basses are very comfortable with only a little bit of neck dive. The shorter scale makes playing longer so much easier. It was a good investment to get one. Much lighter than my SX Jazz shortie. The Promethean amp is a god send for me too! A powerful 500 watt head in a portable and modular combo package. Absolutely brilliant.

It goes with out saying, good posture and diligent attention to good technique will help enormously. Also, even though my gear is comparatively lightweight, it goes with saying that I always lift it properly with the legs and not the back.