Why become a member? ×

Strings brand popularity.

WarrenD

Hello all,

I'm curious about brand popularity and wondered whether anyone here knows the degree to which strings are popular.

I posted this on an American website to which the response was D'Addario as the most popular bass string, followed by Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, Fender, Elixir, DR.... in an order roughly like this.

Perhaps the order is different in UK or Europe, with Rotosounds higher up the 'ranking list'.

Any thoughts?

Elites is all I use and have done for 20 years or so. My Warwick did have some Warwick Black labels string on which sounded great. I did try some Rotosounds on my Precision after speaking to Derek Forbes but I hated them and put the Elites back on.

Interesting...

I used DR's faithfully for nigh on 20 years and was very happy with them. I'd get quite a few cleans out of them as well..which helps when you are in for nigh on £40 per pack.

Since I changed basses..and peg config..I needed a new set or sets..and decided to see what else was out there I'd had a duff pack of DR ..not one string, which I NEVER had all that time before, but a whole pack.

I favour Tapered B's so that cut my choices down..I also like no silk winds as that just gets messing when cleaning them...
I would like to stick with DR's but they aren't cheap.

Best, I have had recently have been XL pro steels..although a tad bass heavy in sound, but they stay the same sounding for a decent while.
DR are livelier initially but you notice the degrade more than XL pros....
Ken Smith are good and reasonable money so I'll buy more of them and La bella Super steps are my faves at the moment but I have only ahd the one set.

It would be a shanme to write off DR strings but there latest batches have been iffy.. and causing me to look elsewhere.

I definitely think something has changed in the steel that these winders use..and I am pretty sure that winders make strings for all sorts of brands..correct me if I am too wide of the makr here...
so I would welcome a source that supplies a lot of string in a lot of gauges.

I need this
40-125 with a T B str. I can go for La Bellas Super Steps at Thomann for the best price EVEN with £10 post but I end up shopping around to get the sets I want..if I deviate from brands.

So if anyone knows who does a tapered B in 125 or less..then let me know.
I would try Warwicks as I hear good things but most websites on strings aren't forthcoming on this.. hence why I use D'addario, DR and Ken Smith ..so far.

Am thinking about using U.S sites for a bulk buy.

I've only used Roto Flats for the past 7 or 8 months but previously used Hartke rounds.

I have also used Ernie Balls, Elites, TI flats, LaBellas, Picato, Roto rounds, Trace Elliot, Fender, D'addario Chromes, Dean Markley, Optima Gold & Chrome rounds, Peavey, DR coated and not, Warwick Red & Yellow Label, GHS, Rickenbacker, Hamer, and probably others.

[quote name='NJW' post='1273638' date='Jun 18 2011, 12:12 PM']I think I'm one of the only people I know who used D'Addario PROSTEEL strings.[/quote]
They're my favourites aswell. Ernie Ball are nice,as are Fender and GHS,but I prefer the D'addrios.

DR, they're expensive, but I just can't go back, especially now I've discovered their DDT strings, the best strings I've ever used for drop tuning. They cost a fair bit, but they last 3-4 months on their own, and they'll clean back to a zingy sound 2 or 3 times, so you can get 7 or 8 months out of one set.

Interesting this. I had a dead G about six weeks ago. Emailed them and they haven't got back yet.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1273590' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:27 AM']Interesting...

I used DR's faithfully for nigh on 20 years and was very happy with them. I'd get quite a few cleans out of them as well..which helps when you are in for nigh on £40 per pack.

Since I changed basses..and peg config..I needed a new set or sets..and decided to see what else was out there I'd had a duff pack of DR ..not one string, which I NEVER had all that time before, but a whole pack.

I favour Tapered B's so that cut my choices down..I also like no silk winds as that just gets messing when cleaning them...
I would like to stick with DR's but they aren't cheap.

Best, I have had recently have been XL pro steels..although a tad bass heavy in sound, but they stay the same sounding for a decent while.
DR are livelier initially but you notice the degrade more than XL pros....
Ken Smith are good and reasonable money so I'll buy more of them and La bella Super steps are my faves at the moment but I have only ahd the one set.

It would be a shanme to write off DR strings but there latest batches have been iffy.. and causing me to look elsewhere.

I definitely think something has changed in the steel that these winders use..and I am pretty sure that winders make strings for all sorts of brands..correct me if I am too wide of the makr here...
so I would welcome a source that supplies a lot of string in a lot of gauges.

I need this
40-125 with a T B str. I can go for La Bellas Super Steps at Thomann for the best price EVEN with £10 post but I end up shopping around to get the sets I want..if I deviate from brands.

So if anyone knows who does a tapered B in 125 or less..then let me know.
I would try Warwicks as I hear good things but most websites on strings aren't forthcoming on this.. hence why I use D'addario, DR and Ken Smith ..so far.

Am thinking about using U.S sites for a bulk buy.[/quote]