Why become a member? ×

No bass = no like?

arthurhenry

My keyboard player is only into bands with keyboards and doesn't enjoy anything else. So do you have to hear bass guitar to enjoy a particular band or piece of music? It's not essential for me, though I find it harder to make an emotional connection with music without bass. Eg. could never get into Jeff Beck's Guitar shop album - all keyboard bass.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1244589' date='May 25 2011, 06:38 PM']My keyboard player is only into bands with keyboards and doesn't enjoy anything else. So do you have to hear bass guitar to enjoy a particular band or piece of music? It's not essential for me, though I find it harder to make an emotional connection with music without bass. Eg. could never get into Jeff Beck's Guitar shop album - [b]all keyboard bass.[/b][/quote]

Stevie Wonder - don't get any better then that.

So a 'like' here.

Edited by lowdown

I think Guitar Shop is a great album.
Soulive are great and they don't have a bass guitar,Steve Gadd's last album used Organ bass,loads of
Michael Jackson' stuff was Synth bass. There is bass there,it's just not played on upright or bass guitar.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1244594' date='May 25 2011, 06:43 PM']I think Guitar Shop is a great album.
Soulive are great and they don't have a bass guitar,Steve Gadd's last album used Organ bass,loads of
Michael Jackson' stuff was Synth bass. There is bass there,it's just not played on upright or bass guitar.[/quote]
Which particular Micheal Jackson stuff are you referring to Dod.?

[quote name='bartelby' post='1244590' date='May 25 2011, 06:39 PM']If it's good music it's good music.
I don't care what it's played on.[/quote]

I agree but I do tend to lean towards music with a good rhythm section, can be synth bass and electric drums as long as it grooves.

There 99.99999999999% of the time always a bass line in there somewhere, not necessarily played on a bass, but there will be a bass thang going on. I don't think you can say that about any other instrument (or instrument sound) in popular recording.

I couldnt close the musical spectrum down myself. I do have tendencies to over analyse tracks though. My wife hates my replaying habits in the car, she reckons I kill tracks for her by what I call audio learning.

Edited by CPBassman

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1244610' date='May 25 2011, 06:57 PM']The Doors never used a bass player, all the bass parts were done on the organ but still a marvellous band nonetheless![/quote]

This is only true of their live performances..The studio albums had sessions players on bass..

Good music is good music, doesn't matter what instrumentation is being used. There is always going to be something nice about listening to a good bass performance on a track though, it's part of the reason I like listening to Motown tunes.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1244674' date='May 25 2011, 07:39 PM']This is only true of their live performances..The studio albums had sessions players on bass..[/quote]

As far as I was aware The Doors used both bass and Rhodes bass for live and studio didn't they?

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1244610' date='May 25 2011, 06:57 PM']The Doors never used a bass player, all the bass parts were done on the organ but still a marvellous band nonetheless![/quote]
The Doors used many session bassists on their albums including:

Larry Knechtel
Douglas Lubahn
Kerry Magness
Leroy Vinnegar
Harvey Brooks
Lonnie Mack
Ray Neapolitan
Jerry Scheff

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1244613' date='May 25 2011, 06:59 PM']Which particular Micheal Jackson stuff are you referring to Dod.?[/quote]

All those cool Greg Phillanganes synth bass parts....PYT,most of Bad and Dangerous,Alex Al's awesome
synth pat on the live version of 'Jam'.

Whilst I would agree with the principle of if it sounds good, I don't care either way, but many a time I've seen a band play live or heard music of a band playing without one, it often sounds odd or not quite right if the bass isn't there imo.

A good song with a good arrangement. It doesn't matter what the instruments are so long as the overall effect sounds good.

Of my 5 all-time favourite albums:

One doesn't have any bass guitar on it at all - all the bass is produced by synthesisers.
One if it does have any bass guitar on it then it comes from loops sampled from other records.
One has has bass guitar on only two out of the 10 tracks on the album (one of which is played by Pino Paladino). They are the weakest two tracks.

When I thought about this question I realised I don't clock the bass on a large % of the records I listen to. A lot of the basslines in the songs I like are pretty basic and could be played in most bass players sleep. You could substitute it with a keyboard or an organ and nobody would notice.

There are exceptions of course such as James Jamerson with his sublime groove and Paul McCartney with his melodic playing where the bass is way up in the mix. Tom Waits early stuff comes to mind too with Jim Hughart on double bass (and sometimes no other instrument except possibly a saxaphone). These songs wouldn't be half as good without a bass player playing a real live bass guitar/DB.

So the answer is..........maybe?

Edited by gjones