Why become a member? ×

Wal - order time is now up to 15 months

Clarky

I sent an enquiry to Wal about the cost of a 5-string Mk2 build (standard type spec, nothing fancy) and was emailed back yesterday. Delivery time is now up to 15 months from date of deposit. I'm obviously delighted that a quality UK manufacturer has such strong demand for its products that its waiting time has gone up, but damn thats a long wait!

PS, if interested the price I was quoted for a 5-string in American walnut with an ebony fretted neck was £4,100 (out of my league I'm afraid)

[quote name='Grendel' post='1244086' date='May 25 2011, 11:46 AM']Ouch! That is on the long side, I suppose picking one up used might mitigate both wait time and price....[/quote]
Well, based on there being three 'Items Wanted' threads on BassChat this year seeking a 5-string fretted Wal a phrase involving rocking horses and poo-poo springs to mind!

[quote name='Toasted' post='1244124' date='May 25 2011, 12:20 PM']Wow, that's putting the pricing up there with Ritter / Fodera / Ken Smith / Dingwall as some of the most expensive new basses out there.[/quote]
Yup, I got a quote a few months back

"The current price for a Wal 4 string Mk 2 with sycamore facings is £3650 + VAT"

Just a bit too much for me, I'm afraid.

Prices like that are a dagger in the heart to the next generation of youtube bassists obsessed with Tool!

I'm guessing that for a small workshop delivering a unique product with a high level of demand from consumers, the prices are not far off similar companies. The waiting list is just what it is. I'm just glad they are still in production really.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='Clarky' post='1243828' date='May 25 2011, 08:13 AM']PS, if interested the price I was quoted for a 5-string in American walnut with an ebony fretted neck was £4,100 (out of my league I'm afraid)[/quote]

See, thats dream bass number 2 right there, but at even at a quarter of that price I would be to scared to gig it in some of the pits we play. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1244392' date='May 25 2011, 03:44 PM']thats a snip..Fodera is up to 3 years.. jeez i dont want a bass that much[/quote]

IIRC Fodera no longer has 3 year wait times. They are more like 18 months now since the new management partnership was agreed. They cleared the backlog and from what I hear, are pretty good at delivering on time. Ritter is around 1 year, MTD is around 1year-15months. Sadowsky is 8 months. ACG is around 1 year I think. Wal arn't too far off their "competition" in terms of wait times.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1244425' date='May 25 2011, 04:05 PM']15 months is 60 weeks. £4,100 divided by 60 = £68.33 p.w. - one pub gig a week and you're sorted. Join a tribute band and it'll be bought and paid for by July :)[/quote]
At my rate of earnings per gig I could pay that off in about 27,800 years

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1244530' date='May 25 2011, 05:27 PM']That's not too bad price and time-wise for what is a totally custom one man operation.

The starting point for s 5-string Gus G3 is about £4750...[/quote]
'kin ell BigRedX - I hope you have taken out insurance on your bass collection then :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='1244435' date='May 25 2011, 04:11 PM']Almost £70 for a pub gig - Bilbo...tell me the pubs and I'll move there! Still wouldn't buy another Wal...[/quote]

The acoustic trio Ive started gigging with split £200-300+ between three people per gig!

Most of ever had the chance to earn and its great.

The trick is to join a 3 piece! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1244547' date='May 25 2011, 05:40 PM']The acoustic trio Ive started gigging with split £200-300+ between three people per gig!

Most of ever had the chance to earn and its great.

The trick is to join a 3 piece! :)[/quote]

Just declaring myself in!

Wow at those prices.

I would say something but I dont want to open a can of worms.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1246399' date='May 26 2011, 10:51 PM']I would say something but I dont want to open a can of worms.[/quote]

Go for it :) happy to answer.

I've not earnt real money in a band since I was 16/17, and I'm 30 now. I've played in mainly underground hardcore punk and progressive indie bands since then putting in everything for nowt.

This new project is brilliant, free practices, nice lads, good musicians. Nope, it's not helped much to pay for what I spend on gear but it helps :)

Edited by Musicman20

Well my Jaydee has now taken more than 15 months I think and I'm still waiting (not that it concerns me or anything, as I'm happy to get it when it arrives) so I suppose it's simply the case that these guys are very busy. It's good to see the Wal name surviving and possible flourishing and the same for the other British luthiers.

As for the price, well the price is simply the price. We can argue all day about whether a Wal is worth this price tag or not :)