Why become a member? ×

Going of tune in your bag?

gizmo6789

If you're like me, then you tune up before you head off to your gig thinking, that should do it, or at least be close enough that you can tune by ear with your guitarists at the venue.
But i noticed that my bag is turning the machine heads so much that my CGCF tuning ends up BFDE or any random combinations.

So has anyone had the same issue and found a way to prevent this from happening?

If you're not using a hardcase or using a Ibanez Gary Willis signature (with 3-point tuning pegs), then this is just going to happen.

The thing is, there are many, many things that will cause your bass to detune and the idea of not tuning before I go on stage and checking my tuning during a gig is preposterous. You really need to tune with a tuner before you go on stage [b]at least[/b].

I'm serious, you're probably out of tune and sound horrible. Really, very serious.

You need both a hard case and a muting floor tuner. If you're playing a gig, you should be permanently attached to a tuner, either straight through, or via the tuner out socket of your amp if that's your preference (and your amp has one, of course!).
You should never imagine that you're only ever going to tune up once. If you can't tell that this is needed, then all the more reason to use a tuner.

^^What they said, absolutely.

Even in a case my bass will be off because the ambient temperature is different in our church to what it is at home, ie' it's quite warm in church so my bass goes a bit flat.
It's going to be the same anywhere.

Take a tuner and do it before you play.

Edited by tom1946

How can the bass stay in tune in a case and after it's cooled down in the car and warmed up on the gig? Sorry but your idea of tuning up at home is not a sensible one.

Just tune up before you play.

ps: Also check your tuning during the sets and before the second set.

Edited by chris_b

I always tune before playing - it's impossible to prevent the tuners from moving in a soft gig bag, and even with a hardcase the temperature changes when moving from home, to the car, and then to the practice room/gig could have an impact on tuning.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1224884' date='May 9 2011, 11:07 AM']If you're like me, then you tune up before you head off to your gig thinking, that should do it, or at least be close enough that you can tune by ear with your guitarists at the venue.[/quote]

I'm not like you :)
I never tune up before I go to a gig. The bass goes in it's gig bag and gets tuned when I get to the gig....then again before we start....sometimes later on in the set.....then before the second set. It's not like I'm being anal about tuning,it's just that your tuning can slip due to things like temperature changes or being pulled too hard or whatever. If you have a pedal tuner plugged in it takes no time at all to check your tuning-even mid song.

I don't think you need a hard case though.

Rather join in the chorus of condemnation, tuning to other instruments around you is fine as long as you all tune to each other. If you all have a good ear you can get to as good a pitch to each other as any other tuning device. Obviously this is problematic with any fixed tuning instruments like Sax or Keys.

How many people on this forum could be given a pitch fork in A and tune accurately to that? Happens a lot in many musical genres and any musician worth their salt should be able to do it.

Having said all that, if everyone used a electronic tuner with middle C at 440 Hz then that may be the quickest and quietest way of coming to an accurate state of tune between yourselves.

[i]Just to clarify my earlier post...
It's the A above middle C that is 440Hz, not middle C itself. My post was coming across like C4 = 440Hz when it's actually A4 = 440Hz (C4 = 261.626Hz).
[/i]
As for the original question... on the guitar the tuning is very stable, even through large temperature changes. I usually find one string out of kilter and just harmonise between the others.

On the DB I tune every string before the gig using a clip on (oooh err misses).

Edited by Thurbs

If your bass is set-up correctly before you buy it, then, it should never need retuning.
I'd return it and ask for your money back. :)

Seriously though - buy a tuner and make sure it's on stage with you and plugged in at all times.

Just get a pedal tuner and use it just before you play and even during your set. Then it doesn't matter what happens in your gig bag between your house and the venue. You're just causing problems for yourself if you don't. In my opinion it's the single most useful thing you can get after the bass itself and amplification.

I'm not suggesting that tuning forks are wrong. I am suggesting they are impractical for the pub gig because they rely on you hearing the sound generated by the resonance created by the vibrations of the tuning fork. It is true though - you should try to be able to tune by ear to a reference note, it's good practice for your pitch recognition. But may I be so bold as to venture that it's an activity for your own practice time rather than at the gig.

I tune up at home. Well, every couple of weeks anyway. :) I carry my bass in a gig bag. I tweak the tuning by ear during the sound check. Then I leave the thing alone.

I just try not to lean the headstock portion of the gig bag against anything during transportation.

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1224917' date='May 9 2011, 11:29 AM']Rather join in the chorus of condemnation, tuning to other instruments around you is fine as long as you all tune to each other. If you all have a good ear you can get to as good a pitch to each other as any other tuning device. Obviously this is problematic with any fixed tuning instruments like Sax or Keys.

How many people on this forum could be given a pitch fork in A and tune accurately to that? Happens a lot in many musical genres and any musician worth their salt should be able to do it.

Having said all that, if everyone used a electronic tuner with middle C at 440 Hz then that may be the quickest and quietest way of coming to an accurate state of tune between yourselves.[/quote]

Obviously tuning by ear is really important-especially if you're on a gig and the piano is out of tune. I'm
guessing though,that as the OP uses drop tuning he doesn't have that problem :) That's not an excuse
to not learn and be able to tune by ear though.

And just to be pedantic....A is usually at 440 Hz...middle C is around 261 Hz :) (I know what you mean
though)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1224954' date='May 9 2011, 12:01 PM']Get your bass in tune and then just glue the tuners in that position.

Don't listen to the people saying you should tune up mid-set, you would look stupid giving your bass to the guitarist mid-set.[/quote]

I once knew a guitar player who drew line on his headstock to show the angle the tuners needed to be at to stay in tune.
Guy was a genius, wish I'd thought of that....

[quote name='Thurbs' post='1224917' date='May 9 2011, 11:29 AM']How many people on this forum could be given a pitch fork in A and tune accurately to that? Happens a lot in many musical genres and any musician worth their salt should be able to do it.[/quote]

When I started playing, electronic tuners were rare and very expensive - pitch forks were the standard we all worked to. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1224954' date='May 9 2011, 12:01 PM']Get your bass in tune and then just glue the tuners in that position.

Don't listen to the people saying you should tune up mid-set, you would look stupid giving your bass to the guitarist mid-set.[/quote]

:) :) :lol:

[quote name='icastle' post='1225031' date='May 9 2011, 12:59 PM']When I started playing, electronic tuners were rare and very expensive - pitch forks were the standard we all worked to. :)[/quote]

And what did you use these pitchforks for, exactly?

[attachment=79412:pitchfork_mob.JPG]

Some instruments seem to be more prone to going out of tune in transit than others: I know my JB will need tuning, I know my 6 will have a flat C and I know my NS EUB and SR will stay in tune.

I don't bother tuning up prior to leaving for a gig.

When I get to the gig I setup my rig and tune the basses at that point.

I then recheck tuning just prior to going on stage.

During the interval I check tuning again - even instruments I haven't played (I don't want to grab a spare instrument and find it's gone out of tune).

My Fenders both go a bit sharp when I transport em in bags.

Agreed, a muting pedal tuner is a must for gigging, preferably one that you can see in the dark. ie with LEDS. But everyone should learn to tune without.

Nobody had tuners when I started playing, so you had to either learn or suffer the embarrasment of asking somebody else to do it, and the dirty looks if it took you too long.

Edited by Slipperydick

Wouldn't dream of starting to play without tuning. I'll take the basses out of the bag asap and let them setttle and then go and tune up when all the other gear is set up.
Gig bags are notorious for knocking tunings out, IMO.

This really bugs me too. I used to use a hard case and my bass basically stayed in tune forever.

It's not that you have to re-tune it's that it goes so far out of tune. Tuning up a few cents is not the same as having to tune down a semitone or even a tone.

I think it's probably worse because I had been playing for so long with a hard case and I'm just used to not having to make huge adjustments when I tune up.

I've been thinking of making a cardboard sleeve that fits over the headstock to protect it.