Why become a member? ×

Going of tune in your bag?

gizmo6789

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1225611' date='May 9 2011, 09:47 PM']I also strongly disagree with just tuning to other instruments. Intonation is likely to be cack up the neck and probably won't help vocals and vocal harmonies.[/quote]
How does what you tune to affect your intonation?

I've been using electronic tuners for 25 years or so. Wonderful things. For some reason, one of my guitarists can't tune up properly with them though. He tunes up on the tuner (though I haven't ever supervised him so he might not be going back to check the strings he's already tuned) and then retunes by ear, or asks me for an E/A/D/G. Maybe Les Pauls are crap to tune up.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1226309' date='May 10 2011, 03:23 PM']How does what you tune to affect your intonation?

I've been using electronic tuners for 25 years or so. Wonderful things. For some reason, one of my guitarists can't tune up properly with them though. He tunes up on the tuner (though I haven't ever supervised him so he might not be going back to check the strings he's already tuned) and then retunes by ear, or asks me for an E/A/D/G. Maybe Les Pauls are crap to tune up.[/quote]
If you play chords especially those incorporating 3rds on a fretted instrument that doesn't have [url="http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=0&sgo=0"]true temperament[/url] the tuning between the notes of the chord is always going to be something of a compromise. Guitarists with a good ear will fine tune for each song depending on the chord voicing they are using to give the least musical offence.

I get around this problem wherever possible by either deadening the 3rd or replacing it with something that sound less contentious to my ears like a 9th.

Edit: Maj. 7ths and Sus 4th are good too.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Doddy' post='1225728' date='May 10 2011, 12:21 AM']There are exceptions though. Like I said earlier,it's better to tune by ear if you are playing with a piano that
isn't in tune-at least then everyone will be together.[/quote]

I'm sure the piano player can take a minute or two to tune up properly before the first song... no excuses! :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1225919' date='May 10 2011, 10:06 AM']I once worked a gig with a piano player who only played in C but changed the tuning on his keyboard for every song. Needless to say, I didn't play with him twice.[/quote]
I played in a function band once with one of those . He wasn't from out King Lynn way by any chance ?

On the tuning issue - get a graphite necked bass . Mine only goes out slightly if it gets a knock in the gigbag . But I swear , when it was in a case , it was never ever out of tune - not once . Hot stage lights , cold outside barn dance , who cares - still in tune .

Guy Pratt mentions in his book , that his Status was in his mum's barn or something , for like years . Took it out , and it was still in tune .

[quote name='E sharp' post='1226672' date='May 10 2011, 08:12 PM']On the tuning issue - get a graphite necked bass . Mine only goes out slightly if it gets a knock in the gigbag . But I swear , when it was in a case , it was never ever out of tune - not once . Hot stage lights , cold outside barn dance , who cares - still in tune .[/quote]

How does a graphite neck stop a tuner being knocked?

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1226705' date='May 10 2011, 08:47 PM']How does a graphite neck stop a tuner being knocked?[/quote]

I think he meant when it was in it's hard case. I have to say, when my Status was in its hard case there was no way the tuners could get knocked, and it never did go out of tune, the neck was so rigid it didn't seem to shift with temperature changes at all.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1226705' date='May 10 2011, 08:47 PM']How does a graphite neck stop a tuner being knocked?[/quote]
It doesn't , that's not what I said .
It gets knocked in the bag , as I said , but in a case , the tuning of a graphite neck I've found to be more stable that a wooden neck .

This thread has weaved slightly , and I've gone with it .
Protection in a gigbag is never as good as a case , and this can put the tuning out - this is what I meant .
The only way around this , is to go headless .

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1225534' date='May 9 2011, 08:39 PM']Yes, I agree, don't bother tuning at home, tune at the gig, and have an inline mutable tuner for checking and be able to use your ear when possible or necessary.

Sorry about the van.[/quote]

Don't be sorry, it's a thing of rare beauty!!

An adage from an old pro guitarist I was told, first thing you do when you get to a gig get yer bass/guitar out of the case & put it on a stand to aclimatise.
Next get the singer to buy you a pint. Then set up the rest of your gear. When backline is set up, tune up with an in-line tuner pedal. & up means up, always bring the note up to pitch not down.
Why? Not sure but somebody might enlighten or shoot down in flames :)
Stands me in good stead, especially getting a pint out of the singer. Never bother trying to get one out of the drummer!
Cheers,
Norm.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1226388' date='May 10 2011, 04:29 PM']If you play chords especially those incorporating 3rds on a fretted instrument that doesn't have [url="http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=0&sgo=0"]true temperament[/url] the tuning between the notes of the chord is always going to be something of a compromise. Guitarists with a good ear will fine tune for each song depending on the chord voicing they are using to give the least musical offence.[/quote]
If you think that's why my guitarist can't get it right first time with a tuner, you're sadly mistaken. :)

[quote name='Norm' post='1226796' date='May 10 2011, 10:03 PM']always bring the note up to pitch not down.
Why? Not sure but somebody might enlighten or shoot down in flames :)[/quote]

String slippage, if you tune down the windings are more often than not, not quite taut anymore, giving you a fairly high chance of going down even further.
Me, I give the strings a good hard yank if they're sharp, and usually they go down to where they should be again.