Why become a member? ×

GAS audit!

neepheid

Got a few basses on my mind so I thought I'd see what everyone's current GAS status is. Simply list the basses you're currently fancying :)

Gibson RD Artist (1979 onwards with two mini toggles for the Moog rather than a single 3 way) - financial pipedream at the moment
Yamaha BB (active/passive like a BB1100s or a BB614 with a replacement preamp - probably can't afford one of the posher thru neck jobs)
If a Gibson Ripper came along at a knockdown price (a cosmetic restore job maybe like my Victory?) then I'd take it.

And anything else that makes me go "ooh, that's interesting" :)

No GAS whatsoever anymore. I'm selling my Fender Jazz, or trying to, which leaves me with a single instrument, my Chris Squire Electra-style home made bass. It does everything I need it to, totally reliable, sounds ace with its East U-Retro Deluxe, looks fabulous, and the only thing I don't totally dig is the clubby older-style Warwick neck. It doesn't bother me much anymore though, I don't really care.

Who wouldn't have GAS for this :) :)

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1213655' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:26 AM']One of these. I can't decide whether in white or black though. I've wanted white for a long time but just look at it in black...

[/quote]

Dont know if this will help or hinder, but I have a "white" 2024x, and its not really white at all! Its deep creamy/yellowy, and looks much nicer than just plain white!

Brilliant, brilliant bass by the way.

Bob

My current GAS list:

Hamer Chaparral 12 string bass

Or alternatively, get someone to build me a 12 string to my own spec which would probably cost more than the deficit.

Silddx's bass looks magnificent!! I can see why you would only need that one!!

Yamaha looks lovely as well. I'd be going for the black, but it's just personal taste.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1213800' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:35 PM']Indeed it looks horrid.

I'm cured of gas.[/quote]
The BlingBass is not everyone's cup of tea, I'll grant you, that's why I love it so much :)

I'm just glad I got that Fender nonsense out of the way :)

This is hard because I'd really like of these, but it all depends on how it sounds and plays.

Its a vintage Jazz, bound and block neck (I think I'd prefer black trimmings) with a super low action and a Tracyesque Jazz back pickup sound with a good Precision rendition on the neck pickup. Its in great condition but not so perfect that I'm scared to touch it. Comes with an original hard case. I would sell basses to buy it if I had enough of that sort of worth.

There are lots like this but the one I'd like is the one I'd like - if you see what I mean.

So I suppose I'd like one like this that I'd like!

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='neepheid' post='1213643' date='Apr 28 2011, 11:17 AM']Yamaha BB (active/passive like a BB1100s or a BB614 with a replacement preamp - probably can't afford one of the posher thru neck jobs)[/quote]

<<Lurch Voice>>

You rang?

This was PsychoAndy's BB415 which I bought.

I was impressed by the even-ness both across & up & down the strings - and it *almost* gave me the sound I have in my head, so I got the John East out the drawer & sent it to Howard, the Bass Doc who put in an 18V battery box, opened out the control cavity slightly, made a new cavity-cover & installed the JE U-Retro.

Result? Stunning - a set of D'Addario Chromes finished it all off.

Currently I have no Gas - but give me time.......

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I'm gassing big time for a 70's Fender P - olympic white, maple neck, maple board, black pickguard, PJ pickups

Mmmmmmm..... if only they didn't cost so much!

[url="http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/Fender/Fender%C2%AE%20USA%20Artist%20Series%20Tony%20Franklin%20Fretted%20Precision%20Bass%C2%AE%20Olympic%20White%204-String%20Electric%20Bass.jpg"]http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcity...tric%20Bass.jpg[/url]

Edited by Evil Undead

I'd like quite a lot of things, but I suspect I shall simply be marshalling the pennies for the time being - I just bought a houseful of new carpet; I'm mid-decorating; I've just gone private with my dentistry; and I've bought the wife a trip to China; oh, and this weekend is our first anniversary. Add in the usual weddings, birthdays, casual dining and boozing, and I don't think I'll be doing much with my salary for the time being beyond slowly topping up the GAS fund in my sig. When it's sufficient I'll be spending.

That said, I would crack open some savings for any of the following:

Another Spector - preferably an original NS2J
USA BC Rich Eagle - maybe YOB?
Gibson Victory Artist
Gibson Ripper - love my Grabber that much, so why not?
Gibson RD Artist... or the First Act Delgada. Love that.
Fret King Ventura 80
Simony Killer - or similiar. Think mid-heavy reverse Rickenbacker, perfect for some J-rock

That said, it's nice to be window shopping; and a little discipline with the spending is always welcome in these times.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1213913' date='Apr 28 2011, 04:00 PM']I was fairly GASless until I saw that Burns Double Six there. Tell us more! Sounds? Playability?[/quote]

I reckon that's going into the grave with me!!!

Great action - very easy to play apart from the width at the nut & I have quite a small hand, however you get used to it.

Can be very shimmery, chimey - bang on the compression & it's pure 'Tamborine Man' stuff.

The setting with the two outside pups together does it for me, but all the settings are good - with the only caveat being that anything in combo with the middle pup (RV wound) loses a bit of brightness - must be a different kind of phase cancellation from a Strat - being that these are totally different pickups, not so surprising, but I wish it didn't happen.

You have to be very careful playing these in a band as they can be totally overpowering.

Currently working up 'Gotta Get You Into My Life' on this, using it in place of the brass section(!) and it's coming out pretty well.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne