Why become a member? ×

Best Bass-related compliment.

Lfalex v1.1

Mine was a total surprise.
Yep. The Musos say; Argh! That Vigier singsin the studio!
My Wife, upon viewing a video of a recent performance said;
"Cor, that bass is PHAT!"
(In reference to my recently acquired Warwick Fortress MM5)
Not an entirely uninformed opinion. She knows what good sounds like! Playing weren't too shoddy neither....
C'mon. Share your high points!!!!!

My last bands drummer when I plugged my 70's P into a Markbass rig at a rehearsal room "Thats the best sounding bass I've ever heard" The strings were at least 15 years old at the time.....

A sound guy at my last gig "thats a really clear, punchy sound" when I used my Yamaha BBG through a "woolly" Ashdown and a 2x15 cab!

A guy came upto me after a gig in a club in St. Louis and told me that my playing reminded him of Victor Wooten!!
That was pretty cool,as the Flecktones had been there the week before.

It was also really cool when Janek Gwizdala told me he liked my playing and enjoyed jamming with me. :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1201356' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:02 AM']never in the course of human music,

have there ever been so many bass-players,

so willing, yet so unable..

to suck their own cocks.

:)[/quote]
[list]
[/list]

That Sir, wins the funniest post of the year. :) ( No disrespect to the guys above).

[quote name='3V17C' post='1201380' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:25 AM']After doing my bands usual set of rock covers featuring plenty of Iron Maiden and running around/foot on monitor action playing a P bass fingerstyle:

"really good bass playing, just like Keith Harris!!"

hmmmm

C[/quote]

:)
You can, I caaaaant, etc

Probably after my first upright gig where I was told I was one of those "clever b**tard musicians". I kept saying, "no, really, I'm not!"

I've also been asked a couple of times if I have a day job. Some people don't fully appreciate the cost of living, do they? :)

Sir Stafford Cripps once complimented me on my golf swing, but that probably doesn't count. In matters bass, a punter once remarked:

"Gav naja nuvver sonnng, szfukn graaaaaaaate, kin ava go? Bez zfukn bann evva - EVVA! Yoo mi mayt? Wez mi mayt? Vukkov."

Edited by skankdelvar

I like it when people tell me 'we missed you'. (That's when I've not been there, not because the sound mix was crap and I couldn't be heard...)
Or are they just mssing me 'cause I always get my round in? Whatever, it's nice to be loved.

I got told once that I played like John Deacon, which I was particularly happy about, but in fairness we were playing a Queen tune at the time :) I was told the other night that I was a great bass player and that the bass tone from me was the best tone he'd ever heard by three people including the sound guy no less... which was just great! Anyway, my head is now several sizes too big :)

Edited by risingson

Don't want to come across as the party pooper here, but surely, the biggest compliment is the[i] roar of approval/clapping of hands[/i] between songs and the end of the set.

I know this is supposed to be a light-hearted thread and we all like to be complimented, but these compliments usually come from small talk where the punter is perhaps struggling for something to say. Nice to hear nonetheless, just trying to put it in context.

[quote name='SteveK' post='1201764' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:46 PM']Don't want to come across as the party pooper here, but surely, the biggest compliment is the[i] roar of approval/clapping of hands[/i] between songs and the end of the set.

I know this is supposed to be a light-hearted thread and we all like to be complimented, but these compliments usually come from small talk where the punter is perhaps struggling for something to say. Nice to hear nonetheless, just trying to put it in context.[/quote]

Absolutely. It doesn't bother me whether anyone cares about how I've played personally, I get the biggest pleasure from having an incredible crowd that are responsive to the music that I love playing. I very rarely get compliments about my bass work, and whilst it's occasionally nice to have a comment about how well I played, I'd much prefer that people had enjoyed our music, it's a great thing to hear.

I had a guy came up to me when I played the Torfaen Jazz Festival in the 1990s and say ' You're better than Richard Bona'. Total b***ocks but flattering nevertheless :)

The best compliment I ever had from a fellow musician was the result of my complaining about repeatedly being asked to play s*** gigs with young jazz bands that were not very 'advanced' when my peers were not being hassled to do the same. My (best) friend (a piano player) said 'it's because you are approachable'. I kinda got off on that.

I've had some genuine ones a few times, but my favourite is from the drummer in my new band who said to me afterwards, "Flippin' eck mate, I didn't even notice you were playing for the first 4 tunes" since we'd only just met half an hour before we played the first gig. I believe to not be noticed is the bassists highest calling in drummer terms. :)