Why become a member? ×

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Oldman

Hello everyone, as you can see from the title of this thread “Caveat Emptor”, the sad tale that unfolds in this thread is a warning to those of us who are so consumed with GAS that due diligence slips thro the net. I do not wish to tarnish the good faith that exists across the Forum but I feel my own recent experience warrants a telling.

I had been looking at Class D Heads for some time. I particularly researched SWR Headlite to the extent that I knew there are 8 model numbers corresponding to voltage requirements for various parts of the world including the USA 120Volts 60Hz requirement. I was more than happy to discover on Basschat 17th March both a Headlite and an Amplite punted out by Geester (AKA Mike Greenwood). I PM’d and entered into a dialogue with Mike via PM and later e-mail and asked the question in a jocular way “They are UK Models and don’t require that ransformer (my Typo it should have read Transformer) Malarkey, but you get the point. I received no reply to this question not even a query on my Typo. This is where my due diligence let me down, I thought that if they did need a transformer Mike would have told me, I would then have thought twice and more than likely not gone ahead with a cash+trade deal that gave Mike his price.

I transferred the money over a weekend and Mike sent the goods on the understanding (I was overseas at the time) that when I arrived home the trade would be couriered off, Mike was happy to proceed on this basis.

I received the Amplite and Headlite, they looked in as new condition, great but without mains leads. I looked that the stencil on the top of the Headlite it read 120Volt 60Hz it was US Issue, the Amplite was UK issue. The mute button on the Amplite appeared not to engage not insurmountable but avoidable. I put the Trade on hold mailed Mike with my dissatisfaction and received an assurance that the 120V/60Hz SWR stencilled on the Headlite case made no difference to the operating voltage and that it would work on 240Volts. I understand some class D amps have a ‘Switching Circuit’ and can accommodate varying voltage but preferred to go with SWR on this as it is clearly stated in the operating Manual (inside the Box) to only connect the correct Voltage to the unit. Mike assured me that Guitar Guitar in Birmingham demo’d the goods and they worked OK in the shop and that he had tried them in rehearsal and no problems. Mike also suggested that I call the SWR helpline in the US to satisfy my query….. I declined and asked for the deal to be unravelled now, as I was going on Holiday and I could arrange for the Goods to be returned as soon as the Money was refunded back into my account reversing the deal or we could leave the deal as it was, no Washburn Trade and I would buy a step down Transformer. Mike said return the goods for a refund, I thought for at least a nano second and then asked for the deal to be reversed, money refunded and then goods returned in that order.

I went on Holiday 25th March for 18 days returning 11th April and still I have no refund………………I was was told in no uncertain terms this morning at 09;30 that as far as Mike was concerned I could keep the goods. Despite being told 23rd March @16:12 that best all round to return the goods for a refund.

I stress that this is my experience and that Basschat is a source of knowledge, amusement (in some cases) and an excellent forum for all things Bass, at least for me, having successfully purchased two items and sold two Basses within the last 4 months, seamlessly.

There is a lot of trust on this forum and I think in this case trust and good faith have been betrayed.

Brian

I am happy for Mike to come back and publicly reply on this thread so that both sides are heard and hope that this situation can be resolved by both parties amicably. I do not want to see the thread get out of hand - as it will just get locked / deleted.

I would prefer that the problem is resolved via PM and for both parties to come back and say that everything is resolved happily.

Frowm SWR website

Q: I'm moving to a different country. How do I change the voltage of my amplifier so that it's compatible?
A: If you plan to use an SWR amplifier that was purchased in North America in a country outside of North America, it will be necessary to change the unit's voltage so that it's compatible with the foreign country's electrical system (as with any electronic product you intend to use overseas). SWR amplifiers purchased in North America are designed to run on 120 volts; foreign current is generally 220 volts.

If you want the voltage of your amplifier changed permanently (for a relocation or long-term move), we recommend that you have a replacement power transformer installed in the unit's chassis. This modification can be made by any qualified Authorized FMIC Service Center. If you would like to permanently convert the voltage of your amplifier by replacing the internal power transformer, click here to locate an Authorized FMIC Service center near you.
[size=5][b]
Please note: SWR Professional Series models built before March 1999, feature multi-tap transformers and can be wired for 110v, 120v, 220v or 240v. A schematic for this purpose may be ordered from SWR by calling 480-596-7195.[/b][/size]

Q: I do a lot of touring and am back and forth between countries with different voltage requirements. What should I do?
A: As with any electronic product that you intend to use overseas, if you plan to use an SWR amplifier that was purchased in North America in a country outside of North America, it will be necessary to change the unit's voltage so that it's compatible with the foreign country's electrical system. SWR amplifiers purchased in North America are designed to be run on 120 volts; foreign current is generally 220 volts.

If it will be a temporary situation (such as a tour) for which you require the amplifier to run on a voltage other than 120 volts for a short period of time, we recommend the use of an external voltage converter (or step up/down transformer). Voltage converters are available from your local or online electronics retailer and are offered in various wattage capacities, generally ranging from 100 to 10,000 watts. It is important that the capacity of the voltage converter be equal to or greater than the current draw of the amplifier (see requirements below). On SWR amplifiers, the current-draw specification is generally listed below the AC cord receptacle on the amplifier's rear panel. Depending on the model, it may also be necessary to change the amplifier's line fuse. Please consult your amplifier's owner's manual for the correct fuse rating.
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 1,500 watts or greater:
SM-1500™ (1,400 watts), WorkingPro™ 700 (1,440 watts), Mo' Bass® (1,200 watts), 750X™ (1,200 watts), Bass 750™(1,200 watts), Power 750™ (1,200 watts)
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 1,000 watts or greater:
350X™ (840 watts), 550X™ (960 watts), SM-500™ (840 watts), SM-900™ (960 watts), Bass 350™ (840 watts), Stereo 800™ (960 watts), Black Beauty™ (840 watts), Redhead™ (840 watts), Silverado™ (840 watts), Silverado™ II (840 watts), Silverado Special™ (840 watts), Super Redhead™ (840 watts), WorkingPro™ 400 (840 watts), Natural Blonde™ (650 watts), WorkingPro 2X10C (840 watts), WorkingPro 15 (650 watts), WorkingPro 12 (650 watts), Workingman's® 4004 (840 watts), Workingman's 8004 (960 watts), Workingman's 2X10C (840 watts)
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 500 watts or greater:
Baby Blue Head™ (360 watts), Baby Baby Blue™ (360 watts), Baby Blue II Combo™ (360 watts), Basic Black™ (360 watts), WorkingPro™ 10 (330 watts), Workingman's® 2004 (360 watts), Workingman's 12 (360 watts), Workingman's 15 (360 watts), California Blonde II™ (360 watts), California Blonde™ (360 watts), LA 12™ (360 watts), LA 15™ (360 watts)
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 300 watts or greater:
Workingman's® 10 (240 watts), Strawberry Blonde II™ (230 watts), Strawberry Blonde™ (240 watts)
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 200 watts or greater:
Blonde On Blonde™ (180 watts), LA 8™ (180 watts)
SWR models that require a voltage converter of 100 watts or greater:
Interstellar Overdrive™ (33 watts), Mini Mo' Preamp™ (60 watts), Mr. Tone Controls (60 watts)

Once again this is my experience, I have back up mails and PM's as does Mike, the PM route has been exhausted as has e-mail on the 23rd March and this morning telecommunications as well. I just told it how it was no malice intended towards the vendor. Mike is more than welcome to reply in the public domain and it is the forums right to delate this thread.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1197925' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:09 AM']Deals gone bad should be public knowledge.[/quote]

+1, it would have saved a few people a few pounds in the past had other BCers been similarly willing to discuss problems with specific instruments, amps, or members (not saying the above scenario relates to any of these categories). Although these threads are uncomfortable, IMO that these things are in the open does build trust within the community.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1197934' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:15 AM']+1, it would have saved a few people a few pounds in the past had other BCers been similarly willing to discuss problems with specific instruments, amps, or members (not saying the above scenario relates to any of these categories). Although these threads are uncomfortable, IMO that these things are in the open does build trust within the community.[/quote]

+2? I agree, wholeheartedly. I've had nothing but excellent trades/sales/purchases on here, but good and bad should be documented for all to see.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1197914' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:04 AM']I really think basschat needs a rule like talkbass that we don't disucss deals gone bad (personal or commercial).[/quote]

Why ?

I see no logic in what you say.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1197914' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:04 AM']I really think basschat needs a rule like talkbass that we don't disucss deals gone bad (personal or commercial).[/quote]

Eh? Allow people to rip you off (either intentionally or unintentionally) and just get quietly on with your life? The whole "trust" thing relies on knowing who is trustworthy and who isn't.

It sounds like the OP has exhausted the "private communication" route and is still unhappy. I think we all need to know about these occurrences.

Unless you are happy to be the next victim of course?

Edited by Conan

I don't see an issue provided all private avenues have been exhausted, as appears to be the case. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this forum relies on reputation & it is utterly pointless to allow positive comments & not negative. The seller has the opportunity to make his case & people can then make an informed decision form there.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1197934' date='Apr 13 2011, 11:15 AM']+1, it would have saved a few people a few pounds in the past had other BCers been similarly willing to discuss problems with specific instruments, amps, or members (not saying the above scenario relates to any of these categories). Although these threads are uncomfortable, IMO that these things are in the open does build trust within the community.[/quote]
I agree, with one proviso: it shouldn't go public until there has been a serious attempt to sort it in private.

Should be visible!

BC is a great place to buy and sell equipment and, I would assume, 90% of all business goes through seamlessly. We need to know of the ones that don't so we as members can recognize and identify the good, bad and make a judgement call on who to do business with. We are more informed due to threads like this and feedback.

I recall the bass packaging thread of a few months ago which was resolved amicably with no negative outcome for either member, just a simple learning exercise.

Andy

Guys, I did exhaust all communication avenues and had the 'phone put down on me this morning, believe me all avenues have been tried, as I said no malice intended. I have had four positive, friendly deals on BassChat, buying and selling. I believe the integrity of this forum and the spirit in which it thrives, openess, should be maintained. Hence my post.

I think it's unseemly. I also hate the trial by basschat that goes on. Every **** throwing their 10p in on what they should have done.

Revised suggestion: Make it public, but have a single post from the unhappy buyer or seller, have a single post from the unhappy seller or buyer and leave it at that.

I had to laugh at the Bass Direct thread last night when Truckstop was whinging on, yet in a thread just over a month ago he detailed how he'd have committed fraud in a previous trade "if only his conscience hadn't got the better of him". Pure jokes.

Edited by Toasted

Speaking as one of the **** ,I think asking fellow forum members for their advice and opinions in public is totally acceptable as a way to finding a solution. it can be incredibly frustrating coping with stuff like that on your own.
Seems to me you were both a little fuzzy when it came to making sure it was UK compatible.
You assumed it was, and the seller didn`t point out it wasn`t, despite that line in your message.maybe he truly believed it was UK compat.
So, maybe you should be looking at alternatives to getting the deal unmade.
Can I ask is the amp definitely a US model with a fixed/non switchable 120 voltage?
Where was it tested in the UK, and have you spoken to them?
How expensive for it to have a new UK transformer fitted?
I know you`d rather just call it a day, but maybe there`s a compromise.
Good luck.
MM

Edited by Monckyman