Why become a member? ×

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Oldman

[quote name='Machines' post='1198140' date='Apr 13 2011, 01:25 PM']He already posted his side of the story on 23rd March. This can all be resolved by comparing serial numbers. Surely GuitarGuitar can identify if the serial is the one they have sold ?[/quote]

Fair enough, I was only joshing with you mate!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1198159' date='Apr 13 2011, 01:40 PM']Have I got this time line right.

Man sells bass head.

Buyer notifies seller that it's wrong voltage (US spec).

Seller puts up a thread saying there is a potential scam going about involving people buying US equipment, then buying UK spec and claiming the UK spec 1 came as US spec.

Buyer puts up this thread??[/quote]

I remember reading the original thread and thinking,WTF, this makes no sense whatsoever - as a scam it would provide very little reward for a lot of work and risk, there must be something behind it?

Funny old world isn't it :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1198181' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:02 PM']Going on previous posts I think some people reckon it was a pre-emptive measure.

Maybe as a way to cover his own back should a thread appear. So people would think "here I remember someone saying about a scam just like this"

The time line does some what iffy and IMO a bit suspicious But I guess we await Geesters reply.[/quote]

Well that's kinda what I was getting at. But surely either way, it's odd. As a genuine scam warning it looks weird considering what was going on via PM, whilst as for "covering tracks" he might as well have lit a bonfire.

There's gotta be more to it.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1198189' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:11 PM']So I assume in the original deal there was cash and a Trade involved as in the scam he warned about??[/quote]

I don't how the :

[quote]They don't pay you the full amount to receive the goods, then they say they'll send the trade stuff after they've received your amp[/quote]

has anything to do with

[quote]this was told to me by a couple of guys who work in music stores where both have had someone attempt this recently[/quote]

As though you can buy stuff in a shop part ex and then "send the trade stuff".

Can't wait for Geester fill in the blanks...

[quote name='Oldman' post='1197877' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:22 AM']I was more than happy to discover on Basschat 17th March both a Headlite and an Amplite punted out by Geester (AKA Mike Greenwood).[/quote]
Thought I'd check out the original ad, but I can't seem to find either a FS post by Geester or a Wanted post by Oldman. Is it just me being an incompetent searcher or is it another mystery in which to wrap this enigma? :)

The problem with a 'he said / I said' thread like this is that the innocent absence of tiny details can cast misleadingly long shadows in both directions. TBH, I'm not sure that such a thread helps resolve the situation any better than discreet back-channel arbitration by mod. Sells popcorn, though.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1198200' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:20 PM']Is it just me being an incompetent searcher or is it another mystery in which to wrap this enigma? :)[/quote]
You'll never get a job as a detective, skank. Try here:

[url="http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VMjdwavjPB0J:basschat.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t127368.html+Headlite+Amplite+geester&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk"]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...ww.google.co.uk[/url]

[Edit] This shows the original ad.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='1198203' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:26 PM']You'll never get a job as a detective, skank.[/quote]
That's weird. The original sale thread doesn't show up on a normal forum search, nor do geester's and oldman's posts in the thread show up in their posting history???

So it's cached in google but not viewable on the forum? Original sale thread deleted? When? And by whom?

I'm really muddled now.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1198218' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:38 PM']That's weird. The original sale thread doesn't show up on a normal forum search, nor do geester's and oldman's posts in the thread show up in their posting history???

So it's cached in google but not viewable on the forum? I'm really muddled now.[/quote]
Curiouser and curiouser.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1198225' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:46 PM']I think you can't delete your own thread once someone has replied.[/quote]

True Dave, but you can change the title and the text of all your own posts so that it becomes almost impossible to find.

Shouldn't you be doing something more relaxing on your hols mate :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1198231' date='Apr 13 2011, 02:55 PM']True Dave, but you can change the title and the text of all your own posts so that it becomes almost impossible to find.[/quote]
True, Chris. But Bernmeister also posted in that FS thread. And his post has disappeared from his posting history. And he's not been seen on the forum since March. I fear the worst.

[size=1]It's MURH-DHER! says fat, shouty Scotchman[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

Just got through this thread. No real comments from me against either side but one thing puzzles me.
In the Google cached version Oldman's last post said
"so I can send the misrepresented goods back".

Now, i know about the voltage thing, and him asking the seller and not getting a response before the goods arrived, but i dont see where the original add mentions this (if this is the issue).

I'm just saying, i do understand the nature of this thread.

EDIT: Right'o. Ive re read the thread and so i think i understand it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1198247' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:08 PM']True, Chris. But Bernmeister also posted in that FS thread. And his post has disappeared from his posting history. And he's not been seen on the forum since March. I fear the worst.

[size=1]It's MURH-DHER! says fat, shouty Scotchman[/size][/quote]

So, if I get it right, Geester works for Mossad. He wrote a coded message on the well know dead-letter drop AKA 'Basschat', which was misinterpreted by the OP as a bass amp & cab for sale, which drew the OP into a plot of Wellesian proportions? He's now gone missing in China, and Bernmeister has assumed his personality and gone into deep cover somewhere near Cambridge?

The alternative interpretation of course is that the OP was working for the Americans all along?

Edited by Beedster