Why become a member? ×

Steve Bailey signs up with Warwick!

eude

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikmesse-2011-bassist-steve-bailey-joins-the-warwick-roster-414896"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikm...k-roster-414896[/url]

Lovely looking bass too, quite a departure from some of the more recent signature basses they've done, plus I think it's good for Warwick to diversify a little artist-wise too.

Eude

If Fender don't like it, they shoudl have made him a better offer.

I am always a little suspect of these kinds of endorsements. Wal never have endorsees, only people who buy the damn things. THe process has far more integrity that way. If Geddy has a Wal, its because he wanted a Wal and bought one. Speaks volumes.

WHy does Jeff Berlin, the 'greatest bass player in the world', only ever get cheap and nasty basses made for him? Is it because he is not a household name? I think so :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1191837' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:31 PM']If Fender don't like it, they shoudl have made him a better offer.

I am always a little suspect of these kinds of endorsements. Wal never have endorsees, only people who buy the damn things. THe process has far more integrity that way. If Geddy has a Wal, its because he wanted a Wal and bought one. Speaks volumes.

WHy does Jeff Berlin, the 'greatest bass player in the world', only ever get cheap and nasty basses made for him? Is it because he is not a household name? I think so :)[/quote]

I know what you mean, but to be fair to Mr. Bailey, he has been spotted playing Warwicks out in the wild a lot over the last 10 years or so, ones that he has bought himself too, so I reckon he's earned this one.
Interesting to see he's getting to use his signature Seymour Duncan pickups and electronics in this bass too, I think the Fender bass was just a compromise too far.

I wonder what amazing price point Warwick will pluck out of the sky for this one...

It's just economics. How many 6 string Fenders are people going to buy? Certainly not enough to keep Steve Bailey on the payroll for long!

Fender has unstoppable momentum with their Precision and Jazz basses but they are fighting from a minority position in the 5 and 6 string market and they aren't even close to figuring out how to engage with the competition.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1191837' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:31 PM']WHy does Jeff Berlin, the 'greatest bass player in the world', only ever get cheap and nasty basses made for him? Is it because he is not a household name? I think so :)[/quote]

Jeff's first signature bass with Dean was a fantastic bass. His new one, he's not so happy with and he's said himself because Dean wanted a more accessible price point and so cut corners. Jeff himself advised on changing the hardware and electronics in order to make it the bass that he wanted it to be.

[quote name='eude' post='1191820' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:18 PM'][url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikmesse-2011-bassist-steve-bailey-joins-the-warwick-roster-414896"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikm...k-roster-414896[/url]

Lovely looking bass too, quite a departure from some of the more recent signature basses they've done, plus I think it's good for Warwick to diversify a little artist-wise too.

Eude[/quote]
It looks a bit like one of those Zons from a few years back, the retro throwbacks or something.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1191837' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:31 PM']WHy does Jeff Berlin, the 'greatest bass player in the world', only ever get cheap and nasty basses made for him? Is it because he is not a household name? I think so :)[/quote]

......And Steve Bailey is? :)

That'll explain why he is in the new Warwick ads then.

I've got to be honest-I prefer the Fender,looks-wise.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1191837' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:31 PM']I am always a little suspect of these kinds of endorsements. Wal never have endorsees, only people who buy the damn things. THe process has far more integrity that way. If Geddy has a Wal, its because he wanted a Wal and bought one. Speaks volumes.[/quote]
It does indeed, and you're right to be sceptical. But Wal is a small manufacturer and probably happy to stay that way. Be that as it may, I've seen the way a good endorsee can send your sales through the roof.

Edited by stevie

Yeah I prefer his Fender sig too, that Warwick looks a bit cheap to me!
And what's going on with Stu Hamms new Washburn....ugliest bass of the decade!?

Just goes to show those top guys will play whatever pays the best wage! :)

Si

Just checking to see how many Steve Bailey cds I have, hang on a sec.................................................................................................
....................................................................................................
....................................................................................................
............................................, oh, none!

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1192470' date='Apr 8 2011, 01:04 AM']Just checking to see how many Steve Bailey cds I have, hang on a sec.................................................................................................
............................................, oh, none![/quote]

That you know of :)
He used to do a lot of 'ghosting' sessions,so chances are you've heard him somewhere.

I don't have any albums by pretty much the majority of the rock and metal players that have signature
basses,so that's not the best argument to use.

Yeah,that Stu Hamm model is pretty ugly,but in fairness he's used a Washburn acoustic bass for ages now
so it kind of makes sense that he looked at them for an electric bass after Fender made an odd decision.

I thought it was a bit odd that Steve B was the 'house' bass player on the Warwick stand for the entire weekend at Bass Player live in LA last year.

He always used his Fender for the gig but was playing through Warwick amps as far as i remember.

Personally I prefer the Fender but I can understand that Warwick is more of a 'natural' fit for a 6 string player!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1193360' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:19 PM']I always think Kubicki = Stu Hamm/ [b]Status = Mark King[/b]/ Vigier= Randy Coven and of course Billy Sheehan has the Attitude.
I like the fact that Billy really cares about the quality of his basses and it's not just another signature model etc.[/quote]

Everything = Mark King to be fair. The man's a ridiculous gear whore

I actually like the Warwick. A little different, but not in an awful Adam Clayton custom way. Kinda a Warwick/Fender Hybrid. I do prefer his Fender, but if I'm honest I prefer his old Aria Signature models even more - [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1768&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1194076' date='Apr 9 2011, 09:03 PM']I actually like the Warwick. A little different, but not in an awful Adam Clayton custom way. Kinda a Warwick/Fender Hybrid. I do prefer his Fender, but if I'm honest I prefer his old Aria Signature models even more - [url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1768&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url][/quote]

Agree, the Aria's look great - the Warwick just looks like it was inspired by bad primary school bubble writing (if that even makes sense :) )